Tour 2014 route

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I wonder how much Sky slipped to the route designers to put that TT in
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    ASO almost always put a long, flat time trial in the last few days of the race so I doubt Sky had to do anything.
  • Oi! If you've never experienced a Tour start, and you can get a decent spot early by the team set-up of your choice or in front of the sign-on, its a decent experience.

Yeah, great. You sit there for hours, they come onto the podium (for the sign on), wave at the crowd and then disappear back into the coach, only to reappear just before the race start. Brilliant! If you want to go to a start, go to a smaller race, something like the Dauphine. You can actually have a chat with the riders before they start.

And the finish won't be much better. It will be absolutely packed out. Unless you want to camp out all day in one spot, you'll have to peer over someone's head to see them flash past. They will then all jump on their coaches as quickly as possible to get to the next start.

Think Markhewitt1978 is right, watch it out on the course, as close to home as you can get. Don't bother with photos or video, just watch them past. Then watch the finish on the TV at home.
    Miserable git... :wink:

Oh yes! :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There's always a time trial or two in the race. With only one 50km TT the race will have the least amount of individual TTing of any post war Tour other than 2011.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp wrote:
    ASO almost always put a long, flat time trial in the last few days of the race so I doubt Sky had to do anything.

Indeed...last 4 include:
    2010: 52k ITT - stage 19
    2011: 42.5k ITT - stage 20
    2012: 53.5k ITT - stage 19
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Time trial up a mountain with riders going 2 at a time. You race against the next positioned rider. Lets have those cobbles as well.
    Last time it was brilliant.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    There's always a time trial or two in the race. With only one 50km TT the race will have the least amount of individual TTing of any post war Tour other than 2011.

You and your facts eh?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Hmmm what to do? I live inbetween Cambridge & London and potentially right on the route. So do I go to Cambs for the start, head out to the route to watch it pass within a few miles of my house or head to London for the finish? Or possibly a combination?!

I loves me a start. Personally I'd go to the start, then jump on the train to London and watch it near the finish.

Bah! Starts are rubbish, especially at the Tour. If you want to see lots of coaches, then just head down the nearest bus depot!
    I'm with RR on this. Went to start of final stage LY and saw sign-on and start (including some nutty sheep), before booting it to Paris to see the finish. Really good day, especially as I made it into the VIP area and was there for about 30 mins helping myself to free stuff before being asked for my badge.
  • Flippin' eck, they are going to use Arenberg?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/five-mo ... -de-france
  • frenchfighter
    Flippin' eck, they are going to use Arenberg?

The Arenberg is a bit much but I have nothing against cobbles. At least the zero to hero thinks they are unsafe (he even thinks he can hold the Locomotive's wheel on them :roll: ).

This was a site to behold.
    892810-16x9-940x529.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    It is good that the TT is at the end. Encourages the skinny GC riders who can somehow TT better than Tony Martin but have a nervous disposition coupled with a lack of experience at riding GTs at the highest level to attack beforehand.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited October 2013
    The Arenberg is a bit much...

Agree with you there. There are plenty of other sections they could use.
    This was a site to behold

I know, I was there! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PPu-X6ZVw
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

I think the finish location will be the village of Arenberg, like in 2009, without the route actually using the forest pave.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    the skinny GC riders who can somehow TT better than Tony Martin .

I would have thought that Tony Martin has fairly comprehensively proven that when fit no-one TT's better than Tony Martin
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS wrote:

I think the finish location will be the village of Arenberg, like in 2009, without the route actually using the forest pave.

Indeed. Think Arenberg would just be a bit silly. So the penultimate sector could be Haveluy, as it was in 2010 or maybe Wallers or Millionfosse?
  • frenchfighter
    This was a site to behold

I know, I was there! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PPu-X6ZVw

Ha nice. Great stage to be spectating at.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It was a great stage. Riders all over the place! Hopefully go next year. Genuinely excited to see the route tomorrow! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It is good that the TT is at the end. Encourages the skinny GC riders who can somehow TT better than Tony Martin but have a nervous disposition coupled with a lack of experience at riding GTs at the highest level to attack beforehand.

Frenchie I don't think Bert beat Tony once this year, but since it is you and we all know how bitter and twisted you like to be: I will assum you are talking about Froomey. Froome got beat by Martin. Please stop being such a dick.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,582

The Arenberg is a bit much but I have nothing against cobbles. At least the zero to hero thinks they are unsafe (he even thinks he can hold the Locomotive's wheel on them :roll: ).

This was a site to behold.
    892810-16x9-940x529.jpg

I was there that day. It was brilliant beyond belief. C'mon the pave.
  • I have to read it twice when I write it...

"I can cycle from my house to the Tour de France next summer"

...it still doesn't compute.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Early Froome attack just before the Arenburg then a la stage 2 or 3 in Corsica?

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I have to read it twice when I write it...

"I can cycle from my house to the Tour de France next summer"

...it still doesn't compute.

I just about could, 45 miles to the closest point! I might do that, or drive a bit closer :)
  • The amazing thing about getting in to Cambridge is that once you get into St Ives its closed cycle path alongside the guided busway.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    jimmythecuckoo. Firstly a wild stab in the dark, are you a Yaxley FC fan? can you tell I used to play against the cuckoo's?

Secondly, I live in Kettering so was thinking me and my brother could bomb down the A14 and dump the cars in St Ives and pick up the Guided Bus route on our bikes. I know St Ives from working there pre bus route, where is it situated?
  • tom3 wrote:
    jimmythecuckoo. Firstly a wild stab in the dark, are you a Yaxley FC fan? can you tell I used to play against the cuckoo's?

Secondly, I live in Kettering so was thinking me and my brother could bomb down the A14 and dump the cars in St Ives and pick up the Guided Bus route on our bikes. I know St Ives from working there pre bus route, where is it situated?

Yes mate. I am also the website editor (PLUG www.yaxleyfc.com )

If you go through the town centre on the way out (away from Huntingdon) there is an industrial estate before the Marina and lake.

http://www.thebusway.info/park-and-ride.aspx

If you would like you can join a ride out from Yaxley with us so you get 35 miles each way in.

Did you play for S&L then ? !!! :)
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    cheers for that, will float the idea with my brother.

I played for Desborough, Rothwell Corinthians. My younger and more able brother played for Rothwell Town, Desborough (twice) and S & L.
  • Ok Tom, PM me through the site if you fancy it.

Can arrange parking.

If not we can meet in St Ives.

its a lovely ride into Cambridge with no cars :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    live stream of the preso is on cyclingnews.com if you're interested....
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest