World Championship - ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,993
    john1967 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    Not one British rider finished.What a disgrace .

Why is it a disgrace? Once they were out of contention what was the point of dragging themselves around for 50th place? It was disappointing but despite recent British success there isn't strength in depth so once Froome was out there were no back up options.

So if they can't win they just stop? That's ****.They were representing Britain today and if that's the attitude then its not good enough.

Are you new to cycling?

So these professional sportsmen with absolutely nothing to gain should risk injury and illness dragging their way around a race for an extra 3 or 4 hours for national pride? Do they somehow owe you something because they are wearing Union Jack shirts? You really do sound like UKCyclingExpert!
  • iainf72 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

So if they can't win they just stop? That's ****.They were representing Britain today and if that's the attitude then its not good enough.

So you'd prefer they rolled around the circuit, not appearing on camera, getting wet too demonstrate something about Britain?

Yes of course,isn't that what all the other finishers did?A bit of pride might not of gone amiss.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Cav at least made his intentions clear by sitting at the front of the field until the circuits started. Did seem far to similar to Olympic road race though with GB towing the field around.
  • john1967 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

So you'd prefer they rolled around the circuit, not appearing on camera, getting wet too demonstrate something about Britain?

Yes of course,isn't that what all the other finishers did?A bit of pride might not of gone amiss.

BS, there was only 42 riders still going at the bell and they were all together. Over 75% of the field binned it when out of the lead group.
  • Pross
    john1967 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

Umm, no. The other finishers were in the lead group until it all kicked off on the final lap so either had some chance of getting in the medals or helping a team mate do so.
  • Mikkel Condé v2.0 ‏@mrconde 6m
    Purito: "For me, this medal doesn't count for anything. I wanted to win. I guess it's the same for Alejandro [Valverde
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Taylor Phinney ‏@taylorphinney 58m
    Worthy world champ. No purple and pink for Rui Costa next year...!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    john1967 wrote:

Have you ever watched the Worlds before?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    john1967 wrote:

What makes me think you've never ridden a bike race? Try riding when its pi$$ing-down for 6 hours, where you risk crash and injury on every corner and some sofa-surfer thinks your attitude isn't up to scratch.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    john1967 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

Who is interested in finishing? It's not a fun run. Medals are important but if you're out of contention - don't waste your energy. They're professionals.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Of course they should have kept going to the finish, they won't even get their t-shirts now
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    hermanossc.jpg

Poor Purito.... Crying when he was young too (pic from cyclingnews forum)... He never gets a lucky break
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I loved the eye contact between them as they came into the finish. Like two boxers squaring up to each other

Meanwhile the Brits are in their nice warm team coach swigging tea and sending malicious texts to JTL...
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    I didnt watch the first 100 km but it sounds like GB where setting the pace. Why do that? Clearly in a race that long its best to keep your head down in the middle of the pack.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    sbbefc wrote:
    I didnt watch the first 100 km but it sounds like GB where setting the pace. Why do that? Clearly in a race that long its best to keep your head down in the middle of the pack.

They had Cav on the front the entire time. Not a lot of point in saving him. I guess they just wanted to make it a full 250km race, rather than a 150km one.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,781
    IanLD wrote:
    Cav at least made his intentions clear by sitting at the front of the field until the circuits started. Did seem far to similar to Olympic road race though with GB towing the field around.

Except that in the Olympics it was a reasonable tactic. Here, and at the world's last year, it was a poor tactic. Although last year irritated me more. Sky / BC seem to have only one tactic which is to sit on the front.
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    IanLD wrote:

His ban was not upheld in his case. Similar excuse to Bertie but somehow he got off with it
    Costa actually produced the supplements that he took and his story checked out.

Strict liability still applies. That's ultimately what did for Contador.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pross wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:
    Umm, no. The other finishers were in the lead group until it all kicked off on the final lap so either had some chance of getting in the medals or helping a team mate do so.
    To be fair I think Voeckler rolled round even though he didn't have a chance of a result, but that was probably because he couldn't bear the thought of the spectators not seeing his face one more time. And there's always the slim chance of being caught on camera again. :)
  • Pross
    sbbefc wrote:

Probably in the forlorn hope that some 40 something sat on the sofa in his warm, dry house thinks they've at least made an effort and doesn't label them a disgrace to their country.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    IanLD wrote:

His ban was not upheld in his case. Similar excuse to Bertie but somehow he got off with it

Sure. He still got banned for a few months. Unlike Contador though, he proved it wasn't deliberately ingested.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Costa has to be happier about the fact he doesn't have to wear that God awful kit and he can ride a white bike now instead of those meridas that looks like 80's ski jackets!
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    TheBigBean wrote:
    IanLD wrote:

Except that in the Olympics it was a reasonable tactic. Here, and at the world's last year, it was a poor tactic. Although last year irritated me more. Sky / BC seem to have only one tactic which is to sit on the front.

Don't agree about the Olympics. To sit on the front and tow the field around for the whole event was not a great tactic on a one day event.
  • TheBigBean
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    IanLD wrote:

Sure. He still got banned for a few months. Unlike Contador though, he proved it wasn't deliberately ingested.

That's not really in the WADA code though. It implies Contador should have just produced some supplements that were contaminated with clenbuterol and everything would have been fine* - it would have been much cheaper for him to do that.

*would have lost the tour though.
  • Pross
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    IanLD wrote:

That's not really in the WADA code though. It implies Contador should have just produced some supplements that were contaminated with clenbuterol and everything would have been fine* - it would have been much cheaper for him to do that.

*would have lost the tour though.

I believe the WADA code allows a reduced ban in such circumstances (could be wrong though).
  • FJS wrote:
    8 of the top 10 did the Vuelta. Not the winner though. Make of that what you want

Beat me to it. I was very surprised Costa won without racing the Vuelta...not happened since Plouay. Cav rode only 4 days of the Vuelta when he won yet that was such an easy WC.

Places 2, 3 and 4 today all filled places 2-4 in the Vuelta.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    FJS wrote:
    8 of the top 10 did the Vuelta. Not the winner though. Make of that what you want

Beat me to it. I was very surprised Costa won without racing the Vuelta...not happened since Plouay. Cav rode only 4 days of the Vuelta when he won yet that was such an easy WC.

There's a possibility that the Vuelta thing is just a self-fulfilling correlation. People say you have to do the Vuelta to win the Worlds, so all the top Worlds candidates go to the Vuelta - and lo and behold those top riders do well at the Worlds, so everyone continues to think you have to do the Vuelta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ^Quite possibly.

Underwhelming and anti-climatic sum up this race. A lot of big riders have some explaining for why they did nothing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Purito:
    "I told Valverde to stay with whoever chased him and when I saw Rui Costa approaching alone I couldn't understand..."
    Piti: The Spanish Paolo Lanfranchi. (in reverse, of course)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Post the race the interviews with Geraint Thomas and Chris Froome give the impression that they were very much not 'gutted' by having to cry off the event. Who paid for Chris Froome's training camp in Colorado? I hope it wasn't Bitish Cycling.
    T Farr
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    FJS wrote:

Oh well.....It would be easy if a Brit won it. There is no such thing as an "Easy" WC win, ask the other riders.s :roll: