Will Horner get a new contract for 2014

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    rayjay wrote:
    I have said a few times lets let them dope legally . At least everyone would know what that are watching and it would be a lot more honest.

If EPO was made legal in races and you could buy it at your local chemist, it would sell out within days.
    I'd buy it and I bet a few of those moaning mini's would soon change their mind "it's legal now so it's ok to use"
    It's funny how their seems to be no issues about riders taking PED'S that have since become illegal.
    :

I reckon most amateurs would just stop racing - maybe I'm crediting people with more sense than they have but I doubt more than a smallish minority would want to take the risks that come with EPO just for a bike race. Amongst the pros - yes of course it would become an essential - but even there I think some would pack the sport in.

The PEDs that have become legal are what - caffeine ? no doubt a few others - presumably they are legal because a performance enhancing dose is not so harmful to your health.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/copelan ... ing-horner

I really hope he gets a place somewhere, even though I think he could have doped. He will just bring so much entertainment and excitement to any race he appears in.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    As much as I think Horner deserves a spot on a WT team ... I just don't get how anyone other than a US sponsor gets anything out of it ...

The 'saga' now means he has to get something to make his GT win credible ... but tbh it's gone on too long regardless ...
  • kamil1891
    II think you could be surprised how many fans he has already gained all over the world. His marketing value is probably higher than ever and I assume from what I'm seeing that the cycling community is very interested in what's going to happen to him.

If he doesn't get caught/injured and is anywhere near his Vuelta form, then I can see a bright future (2-3 years) for him, his sponsors and the team.
  • kamil1891 wrote:
    If he [...] is anywhere near his Vuelta form, then I can see a bright future (2-3 years) for him
    That seems like an optimistic timespan at his age; the guy is beyond old for a pro.

Actually, does anyone know (_know_) anything about the nature of performance decline with age? Is progression quick, beginning suddenly, or more gradual?
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    kamil1891 wrote:
    If he doesn't get caught/injured and is anywhere near his Vuelta form, then I can see a bright future (2-3 years) for him, his sponsors and the team.

Big If though

Especially as he wants to be Team Leader. Given that If, the highest probablility is that he ll be on domestique duty for someone else. If you were the DS would you choose Horner for 1,000,000 bucks with that If or a 23yr old neo pro for 30,000 and (near) zero risk?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    kamil1891 wrote:

Being injuried in 2013 made him the best he's ever been...
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 wrote:
    If he [...] is anywhere near his Vuelta form, then I can see a bright future (2-3 years) for him
    That seems like an optimistic timespan at his age; the guy is beyond old for a pro.

Actually, does anyone know (_know_) anything about the nature of performance decline with age? Is progression quick, beginning suddenly, or more gradual?

He is excptional example either in the way he dopes or builds form, so he shouldn't be considered as average in any case. I've got a friend that used to be a pro but now at the age of 42 he says he is better than ever.
    ddraver wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

Big If though

Especially as he wants to be Team Leader. Given that If, the highest probablility is that he ll be on domestique duty for someone else. If you were the DS would you choose Horner for 1,000,000 bucks with that If or a 23yr old neo pro for 30,000 and (near) zero risk?

Well, I don't think he is going to earn more than 200k directly from Lampre. The max I would pay is twice as much as a decent neo pro would cost me. The rest of his income may only come from personal sponsors. I also don't know the market and how it operates but with all the speculation re his future they are only going to get more attention/income out of him.

The situation in Lampre is going to be weird though. They already have Scarponi and Niemiec going for the Giro...so what they may do is to start with 3 leaders and then support the strongest as the race progresses.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    kamil1891 wrote:
    The situation in Lampre is going to be weird though. They already have Scarponi and Niemiec going for the Giro...so what they may do is to start with 3 leaders and then support the strongest as the race progresses.
    Scarponi won't be a problem

1713_astana-2014-presentazione-nibali-scarponi.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kamil1891
    RichN95 wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

Oh yes, I forgot. So it's even better. It looks like Horner may be the only one that is going to compete for a GC podium. I can't see Niemiec, Costa, Cunego doing anything spectacular. Top 10 is max what's achievable.
  • ddraver
    kamil1891 wrote:
    Well, I don't think he is going to earn more than 200k directly from Lampre. The max I would pay is twice as much as a decent neo pro would cost me. The rest of his income may only come from personal sponsors. I also don't know the market and how it operates but with all the speculation re his future they are only going to get more attention/income out of him.

200k is one fifth of what he (was) asking for though....
    - @ddraver
  • kamil1891
    ddraver wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

200k is one fifth of what he (was) asking for though....

My guess is some sort of rational assumption that nobody would be that stupid(?) to pay him more given his desperacy to ride for a WT team. Not to mention the uncertainty that is associated with his last year result.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Can't work out whether he is really this thin or whether it is a quirk of the photo...
    1528472_569592339783216_146657987_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    He's a GT winning cyclist, of course he's that thin.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I met Contador once and I was a little bit shocked how tiny he was.

He look's a lot bigger on the bike.

Stick some of them in clothes and they go missing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    rayjay wrote:
    I met Contador once and I was a little bit shocked how tiny he was.

He look's a lot bigger on the bike.

Stick some of them in clothes and they go missing.

It's like "Big George Hincapie" - He's not very big.

Certainly not by iainf72 standards *high five*
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    kamil1891 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    kamil1891 wrote:

Oh yes, I forgot. So it's even better. It looks like Horner may be the only one that is going to compete for a GC podium. I can't see Niemiec, Costa, Cunego doing anything spectacular. Top 10 is max what's achievable.

That's exactly why Costa moved isn't it?
  • @TourDeJose

Official team photo session of Lampre-Merida was today. No sign of Chris Horner
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited January 2014
    @TourDeJose

Official team photo session of Lampre-Merida was today. No sign of Chris Horner

José Been ‏@TourDeJose 15m

Chris Horner signs with Lampre-Merida, Gazzetta reports. Will target Giro http://tinyurl.com/o6cw89h
    :D
    BfNcj-BIgAAjsmm.jpg:large
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Team Lampre Merida ‏@lampre_merida 6 mins
    Yees now it's official! @hornerakg it's a @lampre_merida rider! Wellcome on board Chris ! (Soon all the official details from our website).
  • frenchfighter
    WOW! I'm happy in some respects but in others I find it odd that he has a contract and Sanchez doesnt.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    WOW! I'm happy in some respects but in others I find it odd that he has a contract and Sanchez doesnt.

In the spirit of my new years resolution to just enjoy the sport and take riders on face value, I'm happy to see Horner get a ride. Enjoyed him in the Vuelta last year.
    I thought Sanchez had definitely got a ride with Caja Rural?
  • frenchfighter
    No, he said yesterday if he doesnt find anything in the next two weeks he is stopping cycling. Maybe you are confusing with LLS.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    No, he said yesterday if he doesnt find anything in the next two weeks he is stopping cycling. Maybe you are confusing with LLS.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Bleurgh

I have a visceral reaction to Horner. Very odd.
  • ddraver
    Richie and Nairo must be quaking in their sidis...

or not

I wonder how much of his million dollar contract he got...
    - @ddraver
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Bleurgh

Seconded. Just a few things in his recent history don't add up in my view. Hopefully he'll get put in his place in the Giro. though even then he could trouble the top 5 based upon end last seasons form.

wonder if he'll ride a bike that fits him as well... for most of that vuelta, he looked like a kid that was "growing into" his bike!.
  • Horner's Hematocrit at the Vuelta 2013 as an average was 43%... I am the same age and I got it tested the other day at 44%.
    If he was doped, the improvement was certainly not massive, not enough to justify his dominance in the climbing area anyway... so he must have done something good, as much as we don't like him
    left the forum March 2023
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Horner's Hematocrit at the Vuelta 2013 as an average was 43%... I am the same age and I got it tested the other day at 44%.
    If he was doped, the improvement was certainly not massive, not enough to justify his dominance in the climbing area anyway... so he must have done something good, as much as we don't like him

I'm inclined to feel the same. I'm glad he got a contract. I just hope Samu can get one :(
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    philbar72 wrote:
    Bleurgh

Seconded. Just a few things in his recent history don't add up in my view. Hopefully he'll get put in his place in the Giro. though even then he could trouble the top 5 based upon end last seasons form.

wonder if he'll ride a bike that fits him as well... for most of that vuelta, he looked like a kid that was "growing into" his bike!.

I'm going to put other people's involuntary queasiness and curiosity/suspicion of Horner aside...until some evidence backed doubts over his performance come along, I think it's only fair to admire his performance here

That's the repeated attacks of the world's third best GT rider of the last 2 years he's resisting there...