Will Horner get a new contract for 2014

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited May 2014 in Pro race
So Old Man Horner's out of contract end of the year

Apparently he wants a salary of 1m a year

Who thinks any ProTour team will take a gamble on him? A gamble as to what might emerge in time, as much as a gamble on his age, perhaps?

Memories of him jumping onto Hincapie's wheel on the Champs last year, is doing the rounds on Twitter, provoked by Vaughters tweeting about talk that Horner had chased down Hincapie as 'payback' for talking to USADA (and whatever message Vaughters is conveying in his tweets on this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLiH2tvuf2A

(6.58 into the vid)

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I hope not. Purely on aesthetic grounds.

Strava is not Zen.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    He might be lucky if someone needs his points. Maybe Trek will reconsider if there is some value in retaining him for US sales (or international/European sales as the face of a US brand). Otherwise, there are plenty of younger players out there on the way up, rather than someone less likely to stay at the top. One year contract perhaps?
  • Maybe this is why he is performing well above where he naturally should be during this Vuelta.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Maybe this is why he is performing well above where he naturally should be during this Vuelta.

Maybe, Or it might be because he's a dirty, lying, doping, cheat with about as much finesse on a bike as a wulrus.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    It has to be one of the most intriguing performances and background stories at present. Or maybe he just took a leaf out of Cobo's book.
    Need contract by any means. Still want to give benefit of doubt but it's very hard.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I don't trust him at all. Smiling on the ascents when everyone else is struggling. Fishy.

And he's American and looks like a chump.

Worst of all worlds.
  • Obviously, he must have signed a big one yesterday, on the climb to Peyragudes. :wink:

Vuelta_2013_15_etape_Vincenzo_Nibali_og_Christopher_Horner.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Ha, thats a good shot!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    has the fact that he wants a million euros been factored into why he hasnt got a contract yet? i.e. they offered him something but he wanted more and they arent willing to pay that much.
  • Daithi
    Daithi Posts: 184
    Maybe this is why he is performing well above where he naturally should be during this Vuelta.

Maybe, Or it might be because he's a dirty, lying, doping, cheat with about as much finesse on a bike as a wulrus.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but . . . . http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12611535!
    Daithi, Cardiff
  • Obviously, he must have signed a big one yesterday, on the climb to Peyragudes. :wink:

Vuelta_2013_15_etape_Vincenzo_Nibali_og_Christopher_Horner.jpg

Something definitely strange going on here...

In accordance with defamation guidelines I'd like this post to be considered a post link to Leicester Lad's post above whilst (of course) not agreeing with it.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    Daithi wrote:
    Maybe this is why he is performing well above where he naturally should be during this Vuelta.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but . . . . http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12611535!

I don't think the walrus will be able to sue
  • Horner was right to shame Hincapie ... Hincapie took all the money he could before pissing on the opportunities for American riders in the future ... Horner never received his 'Lance bonus' all those years and has kids to support ...

Ordinary riders are winning GT's left, right and centre ... based on performance of say 3 or 4 years ago who would you have picked out of Horner, Wiggins, Froome, Hesjdal ... If one is doping so are the others as they are racing the same competition who are apparently not doping yet Horner is?
  • If one is doping so are the others as they are racing the same competition who are apparently not doping yet Horner is?

I think the reason people are suspicious of Horner is his history and the fact that he is 13 years older than Nibali, yet riding up the same mountains with a smile on his face. It also concerns me that in the last year of his contract, when people already believe him to be a doper, he has feck all to lose by rolling the dice.

That isn't evidence though.

Let's put it this way.

Vaughter's said that if you put a gun to his head and asked him if Froome was cheating he would say no but would be shitting himself as the trigger was pulled.

I wonder would he feel more or less confident about Horner.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • If one is doping so are the others as they are racing the same competition who are apparently not doping yet Horner is?

I think the reason people are suspicious of Horner is his history and the fact that he is 13 years older than Nibali, yet riding up the same mountains with a smile on his face. It also concerns me that in the last year of his contract, when people already believe him to be a doper, he has feck all to lose by rolling the dice.

Let's put it this way.

Vaughter's said that if you put a gun to his head and asked him if Froome was cheating he would say no but would be ******** himself as the trigger was pulled.

You forget that Vaughters is a snivelling little pr!ck who only acknowledged his doping way after it didn't matter and he and his team were part of the fabric of the World Tour ... pretty much the same as Riis ... only difference was Riis made his doping worthwhile ...

The sooner we stop pretending Vaughters is changing cycling the better ... His team must have more doping bans than any others currently riding WT ...

Let's put it this way.

Vaughter's said that if you put a gun to his head and asked him if Froome was cheating he would say no but would be ******** himself as the trigger was pulled.

You forget that Vaughters is a snivelling little pr!ck who only acknowledged his doping way after it didn't matter and he and his team were part of the fabric of the World Tour ... pretty much the same as Riis ... only difference was Riis made his doping worthwhile ...

The sooner we stop pretending Vaughters is changing cycling the better ... His team must have more doping bans than any others currently riding WT ...

He also wears stupid glasses, dresses like a d1ck and mentions his MBA far too often.

However none of that is in anyway relevant to what I posted either.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • You cited Vaughters as a source close to the racing as a way to illustrate your point ... I was just saying that Vaughters opinion is nowhere near as important as he (or this forum) thinks it is ...

Vaughters is (by his own admission) a doper ... Yet Vaughters thinks that he has the high ground on a so far clean rider ... Mainly because he tweets a bit more ...
  • You cited Vaughters as a source close to the racing as a way to illustrate your point ... I was just saying that Vaughters opinion is nowhere near as important as he (or this forum) thinks it is ...

Vaughters is (by his own admission) a doper ... Yet Vaughters thinks that he has the high ground on a so far clean rider ... Mainly because he tweets a bit more ...

You're kinda missing the point of the post, but anyway. You don't like Vaughters. I can understand that.

In a bizarre conincidence.....or is it?
    Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters 1h
    Hanging with Cranky's wife...
  • Ha!

Sadly it isn't true but if it were ...

Did I mention he tweets stuff?
  • Horner was right to shame Hincapie ... Hincapie took all the money he could before pissing on the opportunities for American riders in the future ... Horner never received his 'Lance bonus' all those years and has kids to support ...

Ordinary riders are winning GT's left, right and centre ... based on performance of say 3 or 4 years ago who would you have picked out of Horner, Wiggins, Froome, Hesjdal ... If one is doping so are the others as they are racing the same competition who are apparently not doping yet Horner is?

I have to admit you are right crank.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Daithi wrote:

I have money to put in your contingency fund, if the little prick decided to sue.
    I feel very safe though, that he won't take the Oath in a court of law.
    It would be very satisfying if he did and drag that other US scumbag into court.

Have seen that style of riding too often to be believable.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Horner is highly suspect and should be dispatched by single gunshot to the head.
  • Other than his criticism of Hincapie and current level of beyond-Jens performance, are there particular reasons we should be suspicious that Horner has things to hide? I'm no expert on his career but note he was never part of the USPS scene.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,901
    edited September 2013
    ManOfKent wrote:
    Other than his criticism of Hincapie and current level of beyond-Jens performance, are there particular reasons we should be suspicious that Horner has things to hide? I'm no expert on his career but note he was never part of the USPS scene.

Commonly thought to be the redacted rider 15, in the USADA files.
    Levi's testimony said that Horner (Rider-15) told him back in 2008 that he doped in 2005.
    Allegedly, of course.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR wrote:
    Horner is highly suspect and should be dispatched by single gunshot to the head.

Really? Watching tne telly and reading the the internet brings this out in you ...

Jesus wept ...
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited September 2013
    There's no way a 42 year old (who has never shown to be anything but ordinary) man should be able to beat top athletes in their best years.

It's that simple - and the media's and the public's (The Clinic excluded, they hate everybody who watts 300 for 2 minutes straight) difference of approach to Froome in the Tour and Horner in the Vuelta, doping wise, is quite frankly f'ucking disgusting.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    TMR wrote:

That's a bit much..

So now we are comparing a 41 year old to a 28 year old? hmm seems reasonable :lol:
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    I don't believe he dopes. I do believe his sins are much worse than that, see left two pics.

1236045_623534304353592_428945944_n.jpg

So now we are comparing a 41 year old to a 28 year old? hmm seems reasonable :lol:

Is it reasonable to believe someone watching the telly and typing on the internet over those carrying out doping controls for stage winners and clasification leaders?