Will Horner get a new contract for 2014

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    rayjay wrote:
    I think a lot of teams have made a mistake unless there is something that we don't know about.

I think that's the problem Rayjay, rightly or wrongly his performance had people raising a few eyebrows, now no team will touch him even though he has won a grand tour so it makes people even more wary.

Anyone know if this has happened before? As in Grand tour winner (Without ban/impending ban) unable to get contract for the next season?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    In terms of previous form his Vuelta win is about as believable as Hesjedal's Giro win.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    No comparison between Horner's previous results and Hejedal's ... Horner's palmares over a good few seasons shows form in stage races and an ability to hang on for the win ...

There are other recent GT winners with much poorer palmares than Horner ... They are one time GT winners who showed nothing for 10 years then bang! trounced the same guys that Horner barely beat after they raced at the front end all season ...
  • No comparison between Horner's previous results and Hejedal's ... Horner's palmares over a good few seasons shows form in stage races and an ability to hang on for the win ...

There are other recent GT winners with much poorer palmares than Horner ... They are one time GT winners who showed nothing for 10 years then bang! trounced the same guys that Horner barely beat after they raced at the front end all season ...

The Vuelta has often produced mediocre podiums... just recently Cobo and Mosquera. This is often due to mediocre start line, bad form at the end of the season and IN THE PAST a relaxed attitude towards doping common in Spanish sport. This year the field was pretty good with Nibali in good form (at least for two weeks), so Horner result stands out.. he is either very lucky with the anti-doping or it's all deserved... in the absence of any evidence of the former, the man has to applauded
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    No comparison between Horner's previous results and Hejedal's ... Horner's palmares over a good few seasons shows form in stage races and an ability to hang on for the win ...

That was the point I was making.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    In terms of previous form his Vuelta win is about as believable as Hesjedal's Giro win.

Who is believable? Just the riders and teams you like or are you swayed by what a manager or riders tell you?

Horner is as believable as Froome , Valverde. Contador. etc

You are accusing him of doping like he's the only one. 2 of the above mentioned already have been busted for doping and the other one went from winning nothing straight to being a GC winner/contender [would have won the Vuleta but for Wiggo]

Is Quintana believable given the fact that his team leader is Valverde i.e. think Postal.

IMO Horners victory is as good as anyone's and just as believable.
  • Rayjay: You now appear to be arguing the toss with one of the two guys who actually agrees
    with your somewhat outspoken views. :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Rayjay: You now appear to be arguing the toss with one of the two guys who actually agrees

I agree. Rayjay, I'm one of those who things doping is still rife, for a couple of reasons. Firstly the testing procedures are fundamentally flawed, and secondly there will always be someone who cheats and when that happens those who don't are at a disadvantage. I think it's totally naive to think that it isn't happening on a huge scale, but I really don't think you can blame the riders, they are simply playing the game that everyone else is playing. It's been well documented over the years that those that pass the tests don't consider themselves to be cheating. That will always be the case unfortunately until such a time as the testing procedure is 100% effective, which may never happen.
  • ^ many people here on the forum don't believe that doping has been eradicated. What some of us feel -as some have said over again - is that it's not happening on the same team-wide, peloton-wide scale as a few years ago. Now those of us who feel that way may prove in the long run to be naive, but we'd rather wait for that proof to emerge through either positive tests, or through official investigations eg USADA. Or through rider confessions (economical with the full truth as some seem to be).

Until then, it's just tiresome and corrosive to have every single discussion about a rider's winning performance peppered with cracks about blood bags or EPO.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Well said RR.
  • joelsim
    ^ many people here on the forum don't believe that doping has been eradicated. What some of us feel -as some have said over again - is that it's not happening on the same team-wide, peloton-wide scale as a few years ago. Now those of us who feel that way may prove in the long run to be naive, but we'd rather wait for that proof to emerge through either positive tests, or through official investigations eg USADA. Or through rider confessions (economical with the full truth as some seem to be).

Until then, it's just tiresome and corrosive to have every single discussion about a rider's winning performance peppered with cracks about blood bags or EPO.

I'm trying to rein in rayjay a bit as it happens. Yes my views are well documented about the scene as a whole but the only race that I have overtly gone into this was the Vuelta which just appeared to be very Chinese swimmer to me. I've said nothing about individuals such as Nibs, or Froome, or any other race winners after their wins.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Rayjay: You now appear to be arguing the toss with one of the two guys who actually agrees

Thank you !
  • rayjay

Thank you !

When I posted my post I did not see your response. So I Apologise to you for that DeVlaeminck.

I agree my views are blunt and understand the reaction. But I do speak/post what I feel is happening and it makes for some good reply's and I have apologised more than once to people when I have got things wrong.

cheers
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    So to sum it up ... Horner ain't get a ride ... Mainly because most folk in the know have no faith in his win ...

Even though there are apparently no US riders cheating from 2007 onwards (they all said so under oath) ...
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Has he offically retired? Just read the last blog on inner ring about average ages in the peleton and he has used the word retired in regards to Horner. Any offical word from the man himself?
  • joelsim
    Nope, he still wants a ride. He won't get one.
  • rayjay
    Horner not getting a ride . Teams full of ex dopers [ benefit of the doubt] still racing.

Lets say Horner did dope, then you would have to say that those who competed against him and ran him close doped as well. So its still one hell of a win no matter what age and it would also show that riders are still doping.

I just wonder if its the case of no one wants to get their ass kicked by a middle age man who rides a lot of bike.

Maybe it was the teams riders who said no? would Valverde want Horner on his team?

The Trek twins wouldn't now they have seen what he can do.

Garmin :lol: that would not do Horner any favours drug rumour wise.

Sky :lol: although I would love to see Horner at Sky.

BMC . Evans. 2 old men would be more than they could deal with. [ Cadel is my fav rider]
    Its not going to be easy when you think about it for him to get a team.

Astana ,Nibs , that won't happen.

I still say the UCI should let him ride solo at Vuelta.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Joelsim wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/christina-watches-interested-in-chris-horner

Well, you never know.....though they don't seem to have the cash.
  • inseine wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Or the required status.
    If it does happen, then no further GT rides for Horner.
  • inseine wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Or the required status.

Quite. IF it were to happen, the highlight of Horner's season would be the Tour of Denmark.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    inseine wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Or the required status.

Quite. IF it were to happen, the highlight of Horner's season would be the Tour of Denmark.

Looks like that would be the dream for them..........................
    Imagine we line up for the Tour of Denmark with the Vuelta champion in our team
  • inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Or the required status.

Looks like that would be the dream for them..........................
    Imagine we line up for the Tour of Denmark with the Vuelta champion in our team

Just remembered - they never got an invite this year...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Daniel Benson's reporting that Horner has dumped his agent and is now using Baden Cooke.

Bit late in the day for that.
  • andyp wrote:
    Daniel Benson's reporting that Horner has dumped his agent and is now using Baden Cooke.

Baden Cooke who's just setting himself up as a first-time riders agent

That should work
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:

That should work
    He can't do much worse than the last one. Given his inability to find a team, I assumed Horner didn't even have an agent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Well, at least Cooke sounds optimistic.
    Says Chris is a bargain and in the form of his life. (that's one long peak)
    Maybe he'll get someone to bite, but it will defend upon his definition of cheap.

I see that Horner saying he was riding the Vuelta at 62kgs has been confirmed, too.
    Maybe they should add lightweight to his advert.
  • An agent sounds optimistic? Ay caramba!
  • Bag's half full, as they say!
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

That should work
    He can't do much worse than the last one. Given his inability to find a team, I assumed Horner didn't even have an agent.

Not sure it's going to make a lot of difference tbh.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

That should work

Didnt horner have an offer on the table from Trek and he turned them down? I would say decent job by Horners agent and unlucky Horner for being greedy!