Will Horner get a new contract for 2014

Comments

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The public recognition (of character and competitor rather than 'ooh that's Chris Horner) is no doubt a big factor for many sponsors, especially as many in cycling are very Nation-centric ...

It's actually why I don't think Froome/wiggins are seen as a top tier riders by anyone other than the UK ... Wiggins had a chance but threw it all away on a wet descent ... Or to make the example less SKY-centric ... Who wanted to sign Ryder Hesjdal?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The public recognition (of character and competitor rather than 'ooh that's Chris Horner) is no doubt a big factor for many sponsors, especially as many in cycling are very Nation-centric ...

It's actually why I don't think Froome/wiggins are seen as a top tier riders by anyone other than the UK ... Wiggins had a chance but threw it all away on a wet descent ... Or to make the example less SKY-centric ... Who wanted to sign Ryder Hesjdal?

Couldn't agree more. Europe aren't pro US generally anyway.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Would anyone care to name me a single team that wouldn't swap their top GC rider for Froome at the same wages?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim
    edited January 2014
    Would anyone care to name me a single team that wouldn't swap their top GC rider for Froome at the same wages?

^Probably just SKY! Does Wiggo earn more than Froome ha ha

EDIT. Looks like he earns more than Sir Brad.
  • Crankbrother

To save time going through all 18 WT teams ... YOU tell me who would, and how this would benefit the main sponsor and how they would support his campaign ... The only one I can think of is Garmin ...
  • What about Movistar?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/unzue-r ... me-in-2011

OK, I know that's not at whatever wages he might want now, but they were still interested in him.
  • joelsim

To save time going through all 18 WT teams ... YOU tell me who would, and how this would benefit the main sponsor and how they would support his campaign ... The only one I can think of is Garmin ...

So Garmin wouldn't swap Dan Martin for Froome on DM's salary?
  • Crankbrother
    What about Movistar?

OK, I know that's not at whatever wages he might want now, but they were still interested in him.

Surely Valverde's results are worth more to the sponsor than a win by Froome? Somebody must think so that he was back in the fold asap ...
  • Crankbrother
    Joelsim wrote:

So Garmin wouldn't swap Dan Martin for Froome on DM's salary?

I said Garmin WOULD ... please read more carefully :wink:
  • joelsim
    So would all the others. With the possible exception of Nibali and maybe Quintana, I can't think of anyone else.
  • What about Movistar?

Surely Valverde's results are worth more to the sponsor than a win by Froome? Somebody must think so that he was back in the fold asap ...

I'm sure Movistar would love to see Valverde win the Tour, but I reckon it's far more likely that Froome will win it again.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It's actually why I don't think Froome/wiggins are seen as a top tier riders by anyone other than the UK ...
    Who told you that? Load of tosh.
  • joelsim
    Valverde and Quintana are joint leaders this year. Valverde's swansong year, last stab at The Tour before Quintana takes over.
  • joelsim
    FJS wrote:
    It's actually why I don't think Froome/wiggins are seen as a top tier riders by anyone other than the UK ...

Wiggo has more value to a UK team than anyone else for sure. Froome would be wanted by everyone.
  • Crankbrother
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Wiggo has more value to a UK team than anyone else for sure. Froome would be wanted by everyone.

On sporting merit, I agree with that ... But sport isn't the main point of pro cycling ... For example, what is worth more to AG2R and the French public, their win by a Frenchman on Alpe d'Huez or an overall win by a psuedo-Brit with barely a Frenchman in the team, and any who are facelessly pulling Froome along?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Any rider has more value to a team from their home country than to other teams. Doesn't mean they're not 'top tier riders'
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:

On sporting merit, I agree with that ... But sport isn't the main point of pro cycling ... For example, what is worth more to AG2R and the French public, their win by a Frenchman on Alpe d'Huez or an overall win by a psuedo-Brit with barely a Frenchman in the team, and any who are facelessly pulling Froome along?

Understand that, but AG2R winning the Tour with a Frenchman isn't likely to happen in the near future.

Just watch Bardet and Bouet get a one-two in July now!!!!
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Joelsim "If I was a team DS there is no way I would take a huge risk on him, age, injuries, unbelievability, nationality, lack of love amongst the public, unlikely to do it again, potential for bust/ban etc etc"

Apart from his age that sounds like every other top GC contender.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    rayjay wrote:
    Joelsim "If I was a team DS there is no way I would take a huge risk on him, age, injuries, unbelievability, nationality, lack of love amongst the public, unlikely to do it again, potential for bust/ban etc etc"

Wha?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    rayjay wrote:

Wha?

^What he said
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    How much do you think Jens Voigt is on?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    248 Deutsch Marks per annum. And a bag of bloodcandy.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    100k euros? That's just a guess. It's about what I'd pay him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

Are we talking money or medication here?
  • I would also question Horner's "pedigree" claim.
    He won a Vuelta off the back of an otherwise dismal, injury hit season.
    He had a good mid, 2005 season with Saunier Duval and a fine 2010 season.
    His 4 seasons in between were less than stellar, to say the least.
    He only found any sort of consistency with a solitary team, late in his career.

Which ever way you look at him, in my book he's a huge gamble at a lot less
    money than he's been asking.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    I would also question Horner's "pedigree" claim.
    He won a Vuelta off the back of an otherwise dismal, injury hit season.
    He had a good mid, 2005 season with Saunier Duval and a fine 2010 season.
    His 4 seasons in between were less than stellar, to say the least.
    He only found any sort of consistency with a solitary team, late in his career.

Which ever way you look at him, in my book he's a huge gamble at a lot less
    money than he's been asking.

And with a smaller salary he won't be able to afford the Edgar.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FJS wrote:

Indeed, that'll by why Froome won the Velo d'Or, why he was voted by a panel of Belgian experts as their rider of the year, with Wiggins winning the same in 2012.

For example.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    100k euros? That's just a guess. It's about what I'd pay him.

I was thinking around 250k but that may be on the upside. He does however provide a lot of coverage for sponsors and gives good interviews. Being of similar age I reckon Jens may be worth more to a team than Horner.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I don't think Horner is anymore risk than any other cyclist.

Anyone out there can get injured or have a crash.

There are lots of ex dopers riding and just as many questionable riders racing.

He is now a GT winner and beat a lot of dam fine riders.

His season can be cherry picked so he would not need to race as much.

The fact that he won at such an age and he wants to go on racing for a few more years does not mean he is all of a sudden going to become an average rider, I would say a 2 year contract given his performance was realistic.

I think a lot of teams have made a mistake unless there is something that we don't know about.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    WT points are irrelevant this season, so if you don't desire a Vuelta wildcard (which wouldn't be guaranteed), why would one time GT winner expect more money?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!