Will Horner get a new contract for 2014

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    MartinGT wrote:
    Didnt horner have an offer on the table from Trek and he turned them down? I would say decent job by Horners agent and unlucky Horner for being greedy!
    Or maybe the agent told him he was worth more and he could get him better.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    RichN95 wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:
    Didnt horner have an offer on the table from Trek and he turned them down? I would say decent job by Horners agent and unlucky Horner for being greedy!

Possibly

A GT winner not in the Pro Peloton this season who'd have thought it!

Mind you, its similar to Wiggins this season ;)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:

In which case he would deserve to be replaced for sheer stupidity.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:

Yep, but a bit late for that. Wonder if you can sue an agent for loss of earnings if he gives you terrible advice?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    MartinGT wrote:

Yep, but a bit late for that. Wonder if you can sue an agent for loss of earnings if he gives you terrible advice?

Not sure that is the case. More to the point Horner thought he had got away with it and could command a high fee, when the likelihood of that happening is remote given the circumstances. You can't polish a turd.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Joelsim wrote:
    You can't polish a turd.

No, but you can roll it in glitter! :wink:
  • Looks as if Horner is set to ride on for a further 3 years, but will not get a sniff of another GT:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... na-watches
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Looks as if Horner is set to ride on for a further 3 years, but will not get a sniff of another GT:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... na-watches
    Cooke has said that report is a pile of crap though:

https://twitter.com/badencooke/status/4 ... 8690958336
    and
    https://twitter.com/badencooke/status/4 ... 4318981120
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    With the now Aussie connection, surely OGE could do with any kind of GT/Stage Race rider ... Even more so one who can fend for himself without substantial team back-up ...

But he'll go where the money is, which is a waste of his win ...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Check out what he was retweeting...at least he has a sense of humour!

https://twitter.com/hornerakg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I find it a bit of a sad story. Either he rode an incredible race (and I enjoyed watching it and quite like the guy, for some reason) and now can't get on even the crappiest of teams, or...........
    He's doped to the gills and the UCI really should get its act together policing this.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    inseine wrote:
    I find it a bit of a sad story. Either he rode an incredible race (and I enjoyed watching it and quite like the guy, for some reason) and now can't get on even the crappiest of teams, or...........
    He's doped to the gills and the UCI really should get its act together policing this.

I agree. Horner's career-ending GT victory is deeply unsatisfactory: shrouded in affidavit confetti.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • joelsim
    The main problem he has got, whether he was doped to the gills or not, is that it is such an unlikely thing to happen.

As well as all the other factors in the market and his age.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Joelsim wrote:
    The main problem he has got, whether he was doped to the gills or not, is that it is such an unlikely thing to happen.

As well as all the other factors in the market and his age.

That's what i was getting at. It was unlikely, so we should be celabrating an amazing win or kicking the guy out of the sport, instead everyone is bit, 'whatever'.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Would signing Horner not get a team a wildcard for the Vuelta at least ? Surely having the defending champion would have some sway. Maybe I'm wrong given the lack of teams going for him, of course it would help if he was Spanish and not some odd (in Euro cycling terms) American guy but even so.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2014
    Would signing Horner not get a team a wildcard for the Vuelta at least ? Surely having the defending champion would have some sway. Maybe I'm wrong given the lack of teams going for him, of course it would help if he was Spanish and not some odd (in Euro cycling terms) American guy but even so.

EDIT: delete post
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    HORNER AS NOT FAILED ANY TESTS. HE IS BY ALL ACCOUNTS A CLEAN RIDER

This is very unfortunate considering the amount of ex dopers still riding. The usual hypocritical bulls$$t applied.

I know all the arguments and reasons put forward as to why Horner is not getting a ride so lets not do that again but It Sucks IMO

UCI need to allow him to defend his title. They should work something out.
  • It is nothing to do with the UCI. Do you think it should be the responsibility of the sport's governing body's to force a team to recruit him?
  • joelsim
    rayjay wrote:

This is very unfortunate considering the amount of ex dopers still riding. The usual hypocritical bulls$$t applied.

I know all the arguments and reasons put forward as to why Horner is not getting a ride so lets not do that again but It Sucks IMO

For someone who is anti doping you are very pro Horner and LA.

He hasn't failed any tests, but I suspect that most suspect him of doing so.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Joelsim wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

For someone who is anti doping you are very pro Horner and LA.

He hasn't failed any tests, but I suspect that most suspect him of doing so.

Me anti doping :lol: I don't care if they dope.

I have said that on many occasions

The only reason I said have a life ban is that it would stop all the bullsh%5 bans that are handed out.

Some get 6 months, some get 2 years and some end up never riding again, No one knows how long a rider has been doping when they get caught,,,,

No if they want to dope up to the eyeballs I'm happy to watch and do watch.

I have said a few times lets let them dope legally . At least everyone would know what that are watching and it would be a lot more honest.

If EPO was made legal in races and you could buy it at your local chemist, it would sell out within days.
    I'd buy it and I bet a few of those moaning mini's would soon change their mind "it's legal now so it's ok to use"
    It's funny how their seems to be no issues about riders taking PED'S that have since become illegal.

Don't sniff that Vicks :lol:
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Remember that Horner/his agent appeared to have turned down a contract with Trek as it valued him below what he/they believed, so whilst he would give a smaller team a good chance of getting a GT entry were he to sign for them his signing would also need them to have the required budget to be able to afford him.
    Also he will want - tho' may not demand - to have a decent squad to back him up for his 2014 GT ambitions, something that, again, not all squads have or can afford to do. So he's kind of been backed into a bit of a corner and I'd be surprised if he announces a signing that has him getting a good team and a good (financial) deal but maybe he can do some dealings and bring a sponsor in with him or help increase their budget, as many F1 drivers now do.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    rumour on twitter is Lampre
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    edited January 2014
    Still to be confirmed, but it looks likely.
    Lampre not one of the big budget teams and they blew a wad on Costa.
    So, I reckon Papy's million dollar dream remains just that.....
    .....if this latest rumour comes to pass.

Meanwhile, Samu still on the dole.

Edit: Reading Iain's latest from Mantova: He might be joining a team about to implode......
  • Still to be confirmed, but it looks likely.

A space just opened up at BMC...
  • Still to be confirmed, but it looks likely.

A space just opened up at BMC...

Ay, see my edit above.
    A minute late and a dollar short, again.
  • The Truth
    The Truth Posts: 161
    I assume everyone here thinks Horner is clean?
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Probably a tomato on the arbitrary scale of clean vs dirty vs panache
    (i.e. based purely on whim rather than anything more substantial)

fuck_grapefruit_zps744d1a6f.png

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12903246&hilit=dirty+vs+panache#p18121145
  • joelsim
    The Truth wrote:

Ha ha. Looking at the panache diagram, to me Horner is a bit of a lemon.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    The Truth wrote:

Some of us hope he is clean, like they hope the same of every rider until something concrete comes up. And until something concrete comes up, and not just 'he rode with X, who rode with Y, so he must be doping', I'll continue to hope.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.