Will Horner get a new contract for 2014

Comments

• His twitter rant can't have helped. Comedy gold but not good for getting teams to bite.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Bc6yjOLCUAA6YON.jpg

Heading out for the first ride of 2014. Thanks @Louis_Garneau for getting me kitted out for training!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    So no deal ...

His only hope now is someone else's GT hope getting injured or (more likely) busted ...

He'd be advised to take ANYTHING (by that I mean contract, before anyone starts) that gets him to the big(ish) stage races this year as he needs to prove he can back up his Vuelta win with something substantial to try for a contract at WT level next year (by then, I fear it'll all be over in any case) ...

edit: His best chance is likely the under performing Schleckettes ... Surely TFR will have to cut their losses on them at some point ...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Bc6yjOLCUAA6YON.jpg

Heading out for the first ride of 2014. Thanks @Louis_Garneau for getting me kitted out for training![/quote]

surely someone will tweet him a Wiggle discount code?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I still can't understand Trek letting him go, he has more credibility and (over the last two years) more results than both Schlecks put together.
  • tailwindhome
    IF he was clean at Vuelta 2013 he must be regretting now not having a word with USADA when the chance arose and taking a 6 month ban in line with the Garmin riders (which may have even coincided with injury).
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I still can't understand Trek letting him go, he has more credibility and (over the last two years) more results than both Schlecks put together.

The sole reason Trek gave in public was cos he wanted far more spondoolies than they were willing to pay (plus he wanted a 2 year deal). Trek isnt going to be a super-budget team, by all accounts, the Schlecks have had to take a big pay cut, and Cancellara's probably the only one geting big bucks.

Whether this is the full story....
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    IF he was clean at Vuelta 2013 he must be regretting now not having a word with USADA when the chance arose and taking a 6 month ban in line with the Garmin riders (which may have even coincided with injury).

You are happy to believe Sky are clean but not Horner just because he is a American.

Show me the evidence that he has doped? Not just your wild accusations.

Horner is not getting a ride because of his age and his money demands.

There are plenty of teams with riders who already have been caught doping and they are racing.

I think the UCI should let him ride solo if need be and at least have the chance to defend his title.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    rayjay wrote:

You are happy to believe Sky are clean but not Horner just because he is a American.

There are plenty of teams with riders who already have been caught doping and they are racing.

I think the UCI should let him ride solo if need be and at least have the chance to defend his title.
    Now that would be interesting. Like the old privateers in the tour de France.
  • Yes, TWH, you just hates them Yanks, doncha? You Yankeephobe, you

:wink:
  • rayjay
    Yes, TWH, you just hates them Yanks, doncha? You Yankeephobe, you

:wink:

There is a lot of prejudice against USA riders because of the Armstrong fallout. American citizens are allowed to have the same opinion and can show the same prejudice as a non American. Have a wink on me :wink::lol:

I was born in London but am not a Wiggo fan ....oh I forgot he was born in Belgium.

Still waiting for a UK tour winner. Maybe one day
  • tailwindhome
    rayjay wrote:

There's a difference between believing a team are clean and thinking the 'evidence' against them is pish.

There's a scale to believability. I find Horner to be less believable than Froome etc for a variety of reasons, being American isn't one of them.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think, accept for the money, maybe Horner could have stayed with Trek and if Laurel and Hardy (Shreks) were back on form then the possibility of Horner doing a Carlos Sastre was on the cards. Oh well, his loss.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • rayjay
    rayjay wrote:

There's a difference between believing a team are clean and thinking the 'evidence' against them is pish.

There's a scale to believability. I find Horner to be less believable than Froome etc for a variety of reasons, being American isn't one of them.

Can you tell me why you suspect Horner is doping ?

What strong piece of evidence do you have?

Have you any facts? Or do you base it on the fact of that virtually every big name USA rider has been busted?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Have you any facts? Or do you base it on the fact of that virtually every big name USA rider has been busted?

Baldness. Riis, Pantani. QED.

Send him to the tower.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    He's American, he won something ... Leipheimer suffered, Horner had the cheek to win whilst still under contract and couldn't be blackballed ... Shame JV wasn't massaging his 'career' ... Omerta? Bullying? Team full of dopers? Nah, we're moving forward ...
  • Well.... He hasn't got a contract for 2014 yet....
  • jerry3571
    He's a professional cyclist? Obvious really. ;-)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • tailwindhome
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

Combination of factors as discussed throughout the thread.

-I'm persuaded by the consensus of opinion that he is the Rider 15 from the USADA report who admitted doping.

-His attitude to the doping of Armstrong and his repeating of the mantra regarding never testing positive.

-His conduct on the Champs Elysees - gate crashing Hincapie's photo op is reminiscent of bullying behaviour of other riders towards those who have broken the omerta.

-His win at the Vuelta was extraordinary. For a man of 42 (rounding up) to win a GT is hard to fathom. While there is a lot to be said in his defence with regard to his relative freshness, his 'class' over a period of time as a lower tier GC man and the overall quality of the opposition in the weakest GT of the year I still find it hard to swallow that he wins a GT at an age even golfers would be over the hill. He 6 years older than Evans!

-Assuming that most riders have encountered a temptation to dope in their careers, certainly those of Horner's generation, they must at some point make a risk/reward calculation whether or not to dope. I believe that going into possibly his last GT, with no contract for the following season the rewards for doping would have quite possibly outweighed the risks of being caught.

YMMV
  • jerry3571
    Horner's career is almost over so getting a bit of glory and money before he ends holds little risk. If he gets caught he just brings his retirement date forward by 6 months or a year. Quite a few ageing Cyclists have been caught as they near retirement.
    Something is up with Horner as no one wants to touch him. A Team should be able to give him a year's contract on his Vuelta result, seems strange not to.
    I think his previous results haven't been in the same league as beating a Nibs at the Vuelta. Thibaut Pinault quoted Horner was stronger than Froome at the Tour-

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/pinot ... 2012_tour/

-Jacques Anquetil
  • Horner was interviewed in San Diego yday by some guy called Jeff Bean (@BikeCrave) who tweeted some stuff from the interview last night.

'Horner's positive about signing with a team. But says it has to happen in next 2-3 weeks.'

'If doesnt sign this year, says he would strongly consider forming his own team for 2014.'

And that NBC's approached Horner about doing racing commentary
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Horner was interviewed in San Diego yday by some guy called Jeff Bean (@BikeCrave) who tweeted some stuff from the interview last night.

'Horner's positive about signing with a team. But says it has to happen in next 2-3 weeks.'

'If doesnt sign this year, says he would strongly consider forming his own team for 2014.'

Someone who used the phrase "multiple more years" as a commentator?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Horner was interviewed in San Diego yday by some guy called Jeff Bean (@BikeCrave) who tweeted some stuff from the interview last night.

"...the Tomb of the Unknown Shoulder..."
    or
    "I was approached by a man at a race, I cant remember which race, I dont know his name, he didnt tell me his name, but he told me that.."

Yes, quite likely
  • rayjay
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

-I'm persuaded by the consensus of opinion that he is the Rider 15 from the USADA report who admitted doping.

-His attitude to the doping of Armstrong and his repeating of the mantra regarding never testing positive.

-His conduct on the Champs Elysees - gate crashing Hincapie's photo op is reminiscent of bullying behaviour of other riders towards those who have broken the omerta.

-His win at the Vuelta was extraordinary. For a man of 42 (rounding up) to win a GT is hard to fathom. While there is a lot to be said in his defence with regard to his relative freshness, his 'class' over a period of time as a lower tier GC man and the overall quality of the opposition in the weakest GT of the year I still find it hard to swallow that he wins a GT at an age even golfers would be over the hill. He 6 years older than Evans!

-Assuming that most riders have encountered a temptation to dope in their careers, certainly those of Horner's generation, they must at some point make a risk/reward calculation whether or not to dope. I believe that going into possibly his last GT, with no contract for the following season the rewards for doping would have quite possibly outweighed the risks of being caught.

YMMV

So basically Tailwind you have no evidence. You don't have one fact that links Horner with doping just your own opinion.

Yet you were happy to make little digs and comments when I suggested I was suspicious of Froome even though I backed my reasons up with some facts.

You don't seem to have any facts in your suspicions of Horner.

I respect your opinion and you reason perhaps you could do like wise in future
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Horner was interviewed in San Diego yday by some guy called Jeff Bean (@BikeCrave) who tweeted some stuff from the interview last night.

If you had asked people in the 80s who would go on to be a commentator, Sean Kelly would probably have last on many lists.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    rayjay wrote:

YMMV

So basically Tailwind you have no evidence. You don't have one fact that links Horner with doping just your own opinion.

Yet you were happy to make little digs and comments when I suggested I was suspicious of Froome even though I backed my reasons up with some facts.

You don't seem to have any facts in your suspicions of Horner.

I respect your opinion and you reason perhaps you could do like wise in future

You obviously have an issue with me.

It's your issue. You deal with it.

You asked why I was suspicious of Horner and I have explained it you.

I find the evidence against Horner to be more compelling than the evidence against Froome.

EDIT - I think no matter what my response you were all ready to say your wee piece. It's better out than in. :wink:

YMMV
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Has he gotten a new contract then? CBA looking back.
  • tailwindhome
    TMR wrote:

nope
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    TMR wrote:

nope

Good. Thank you.
  • rayjay
    Tailwind. It would have been nice if you would have acknowledged the fact that my suspicion of Froome is as valid as yours is of Horner and the insults and smart remarks that you and some of your Sky mates post show the hypocrisy of a lot of yours and their comments.