Will Horner get a new contract for 2014

Comments

• ^we're definitely agreed, dont do this bo^&cks stuff in this ramshackle way. And irresponsible of Outside Online to base an article around it.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He may not get a contract but he is releasing a book.

http://velopress.com/books/reading-the-race/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Levi:

MC - "Does stuff like seeing Horner keep going make you go like fack, he's older than me....."
    LL - "uhhhhh..... I think I'll bite my tongue on that one...."

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ope ... d668239719
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    He may not get a contract but he is releasing a book.

http://velopress.com/books/reading-the-race/
    I wonder if he did it himself or was assisted?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    He was lead out for 11 chapters, then finished it off.

Someone else wrote the prologue. :roll:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Levi:

MC - "Does stuff like seeing Horner keep going make you go like fack, he's older than me....."
    LL - "uhhhhh..... I think I'll bite my tongue on that one...."

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ope ... d668239719

Worth listening to that - alternative link here. http://cyclismas.podomatic.com/entry/20 ... 0_51-07_00
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Trouble with Levi was he was always on teams full of confessed/convicted dopers, up until the 2007 caveat of course ... and taking the big bucks to go with it ...

When Levi went after one final payday Specialized paid to bump up his OPQS contract as they used him as an ambassador/tester for their brand ... Funnily enough, a doping confession ends that relationship pretty quickly ...

Horner, meanwhile was doing not a lot, sometimes in dodgy teams (Saunier Duval) sometimes on teams that seem to have no issues (Lotto or whatever they were called those years) ... He swapped to Astana during those golden caveat years and has been getting on with it ever since, occasionally to decent effect ...

So basically, Horner was never on Levi's team when Levi was playing doper deluxe ... and apparently there was never any sign of doping within Astana/RS post 2007 ... So what's Levi's beef ... Other than he doped for decent contracts and eventually got called into the headmasters office for hanging with a bad crowd ...

Levi needs to look at himself rather than CH in this instance ... Unless of course that good old caveat they all agreed on was hocum?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Rider 15 told Levi that he was a user of EPO in 2005

http://www.scribd.com/doc/109638682/Lev ... -Affidavit

Now, we don't know for sure that Horner is rider 15. He's too busy to say yes or no. But it may put Levi's 'beef' into context.

Or are we saying he's just bitter?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • A massive 600 samples taken in the Vuelta and all negative. Doesnt mean there was no one doping mind you. Still, it is reassuring.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vuelta- ... l-negative
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Horner says he isnt rider 15. Some long comments from him. Fair points as well.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-h ... t-rider-15
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    A massive 600 samples taken in the Vuelta and all negative. Doesnt mean there was no one doping mind you. Still, it is reassuring.

Apparently 'taken' isn't the same as 'tested'

and 'tested' isn't the same as 'tested for EPO'

Apparently

(this may in your link)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Horner says he isnt rider 15. Some long comments from him. Fair points as well.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-h ... t-rider-15

That's a straightforward challenge to USADA and the 'Rider 15' sleuths to prove it. Should be simple enough. And would anybody be crazy enough to outright lie about it?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    Great picture. I find it amazing that Horner doesn't have a top-tier ride. If his doping was/is so obvious how is he getting away with such bare-faced lies? Why is he more toxic than convicted dopers being rushed back into action?
  • tailwindhome
    Macaloon wrote:
    Great picture. I find it amazing that Horner doesn't have a top-tier ride. If his doping was/is so obvious how is he getting away with such bare-faced lies? Why is he more toxic than convicted dopers being rushed back into action?

Because he's looking too much $$$ for an injury prone 42 year old with a dodgy reputation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    edited November 2013
    There are some parts of that interview I find hard to believe. In particular, his decision to not dope was based on ignorance and a desire not to be caught.
  • Macaloon
    Because he's looking too much $$$ for an injury prone 42 year old with a dodgy reputation.
    All negotiable points. But not to even have a pro conti slot? A guy who'll give your team a genuine GC story for a year. Voodoo radioactivity.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    A massive 600 samples taken in the Vuelta and all negative. Doesnt mean there was no one doping mind you. Still, it is reassuring.

Yep, @dimspace concluded earlier that this probably means - 200 samples tested (only 75 tested for EPO)... (before going into a general Horner-meltdown)
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    nic_77 wrote:

Yep, @dimspace concluded earlier that this probably means - 200 samples tested (only 75 tested for EPO)... (before going into a general Horner-meltdown)

Are the samples that aren't tested at least stored so that they can be tested in the future?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    nic_77 wrote:
    His reasoning is very faulty though.
    25% of samples are tested for EPO across all testing agencies. However, he assumes that that proportion is uniform for all levels of cycling - whether it is World Tour, Continential, Juniors, Masters, Grand Fondos or a Cat 3 race in Darlington.
    But it doesn't work like that. At World Tour level the rate of EPO testing will be very high - perhaps even 100%. The lower down the levels you get, the lower the proportion will be - because EPO testing is expensive. At the lowest levels they probably only test for it if they have genuine suspicions.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    @Dimspace is doing a lot of detective work regarding the identity of rider 15.....

Can't be bother reposting all of it.

Basically compares the blacked out space in the reasoned decision to the length of riders' names

9 Tour de Suisse riders fit - The Mystery of Rider 15: Can only be one of: Bobby Julich, Chris Horner, Cedric Herve, Tom Boonen, David Loosli, Gregory Rast, Kim Kirchen..

Then eliminates each rider until

Dave (Dim) ‏@dimspace 11m
    So of the nine names that fit, only one was injured prior to the tour de suisse. And its not him.

----

Could well be cobblers.....but there's nowt on telly.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    So who do we think is rider 15? Anyone know if the rest of Fuentes blood bags have been destroyed? could not find anything on line.
  • Macaloon
    I think you can conclude from USADA ignoring Horner (according to Horner) that there was no corroboration, even if Dave is correct. Hard to believe that he had a significant doping past but less to contribute to the USADA pursuit of Armstrong than Hesjedal.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    All it takes is one question to another rider...no need to be offered. tbh he is digging himself into even more by suggesting that he has never taken anything, even Kimmage took stuff!
  • Macaloon wrote:
    I think you can conclude from USADA ignoring Horner (according to Horner) that there was no corroboration, even if Dave is correct. Hard to believe that he had a significant doping past but less to contribute to the USADA pursuit of Armstrong than Hesjedal.

That's the thing. At the risk of turning into one of the Asylum's patients, I'm certain I read that Horner was 'invited' to go and talk to USADA but turned down the kind invitation. Will have to go and find the link to back that up now.

Appreciate that USADA doesnt have coercive powers to force people to talk, but I'm unconvinced anyway that Tygart is really that arsed about anyone beyond Lance - for all his big talk about 'cleaning up cycling'. Its only ever been about Lance.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Joelsim wrote:
    All it takes is one question to another rider...no need to be offered. tbh he is digging himself into even more by suggesting that he has never taken anything, even Kimmage took stuff!

I think your right. The way he comes across in the interview just does not seem quite right. We know how much doping has been going on and he talks like it all passed him by. I get the feeling that he has been smart with his recent results and used what has been happening to give himself more credibility. Alarm bells ring IMO .
    I could also be totally wrong.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    @Dimspace is doing a lot of detective work regarding the identity of rider 15.....

Can't be bother reposting all of it.

Basically compares the blacked out space in the reasoned decision to the length of riders' names

9 Tour de Suisse riders fit - The Mystery of Rider 15: Can only be one of: Bobby Julich, Chris Horner, Cedric Herve, Tom Boonen, David Loosli, Gregory Rast, Kim Kirchen..

Then eliminates each rider until

Dave (Dim) ‏@dimspace 11m
    So of the nine names that fit, only one was injured prior to the tour de suisse. And its not him.

----

Could well be cobblers.....but there's nowt on telly.

In fairness, he also put in names like Margret Thatcher* and Harry Potter* and noted that it was perfectly possible that she could be rider 15

*can't remember the names but you get the jist
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    In their free 2014 calendar (well, as much as anything's free in a mag costing £4.99), Procycling (featuring the above Ben Delaney/ Chris Horner interview) have omitted a pic of Horner from their shots of the year.

It would be very easy to read something into this: so that's what I'm doing...
  • Still no news then... times a runnin' out.