Tour of Poland 2013 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Turfle wrote:
    Majka was there. But god knows with that coverage who else was.

Henao, Majka, Sorensen, and Weening were all over in similar times so I'm guessing one of them will take the leaders jersey?
    Sorensen was second on GC before the start of the stage It didn't seem like 2:07 had passed since Riblon had finished so my immediate guess was that CAS would take the jersey but initial reports from Poland are suggesting it is Riblon.

I'd be delighted either way as they are two of my favourite riders.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    i forgot time bonuses from yesterday (i guess).
    apparently:
    Peloton Watch ‏@PelotonWatch 25s
    #TdP2013 GC - 1 Majka 2 Henao +4 3 Riblon +6 4 Weening +7 5 CA Sorensen +9 6 Izaguirre +13 7 Pozzovivo +13 8 Kiserlovski +16 9 Rohregger +18
  • DeadCalm
    Turfle wrote:
    i forgot time bonuses from yesterday (i guess).
    apparently:
    Peloton Watch ‏@PelotonWatch 25s
    #TdP2013 GC - 1 Majka 2 Henao +4 3 Riblon +6 4 Weening +7 5 CA Sorensen +9 6 Izaguirre +13 7 Pozzovivo +13 8 Kiserlovski +16 9 Rohregger +18
    Totally confused here. Cyclingnews were showing CA Sorensen in second yesterday with 6 seconds over Majka and 10 over the rest. How does Majka leapfrog CA Sorensen?
  • DeadCalm
    Presumably that wasn't CAS in that group...

#TdP2013 GC after stage 2:
    1. R. Majka (TST)
    2. S. Henao (SKY) +4"
    3. C. Riblon (ALM) +6"
    4. P. Weening (OGE) +7"
    5. J. Izagirre (EUS) +9"
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Wiggins in 15mins down, still no idea where Nibali ended up. Ah there Nibs is, 23mins down heh
  • Turfle
    The Tour de Pologne site has CAS coming in 5 seconds behind Majka and Henao. And now 9 seconds down on GC.

Baffling.

http://tdp.infocity.pl/en/etap2/

Edit: BUT they had CAS starting the day 4 seconds down on Majka. That's the discrepancy.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    1002136_480955245332358_1277570662_n.jpg
    *awaits being told why I'm being stupid*
    No other riders in the photo but 0s time gap?
    Second home was just off the photo, about 12 m behind Ulissi. At sprint speeds, even for a break without true sprinters, this would be still a little less than a second. The gaps thereafter between riders in the break were smaller, from 3-4 m to practically nothing. Thus I imagine why they all got the same time.
    If they hadn't have been in a bunch shortly beforehand, e.g. if they were already spread out like happens on a mountain stage, conceivably time differentials would have been made.
  • knedlicky
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I'm loving the Magnus and Carlton banter... Not really bothered about race information, just think they work well together
    I don't know who's the bigger martyr, you or Magnus.
    brucey72 wrote:
    I was just confused.........I had no idea who was where and how far behind Riblon they were.........Looks like Eurosport has just finished and I don't even know who is leading. Very strange coverage.
    The host broadcaster is just pretty useless sadly.
    Got to the foot of the climb with an update that the peloton had apparently (who knows if their times were even accurate) closed a 4min gap to 2mins in the space of about 5k, and then we don't get another time update till almost halfway through a 13k climb...
    The coverage is poor, but if Carlton Kirby were to look on Twitter instead of talking gibberish, he would find a few time checks which don't appear on TV and he could relate them in his commentary, which would at least be something.
  • knedlicky
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Totally confused here. Cyclingnews were showing CA Sorensen in second yesterday with 6 seconds over Majka and 10 over the rest. How does Majka leapfrog CA Sorensen?
    Don't know what Cyclingnews showed yesterday, but Sorensen was yesterday 13th in GC, 10 secs back.

Today’s Stage:
    1 RIBLON Christophe ALM 06h 03' 40''
    2 ROHREGGER Thomas RLT + 01' 02''
    3 PREIDLER Georg ARG + 01' 18''
    4 HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis SKY + 01' 35''
    5 MAJKA Rafał TST + 01' 35''
    6 WEENING Pieter OGE + 01' 38''
    7 SORENSEN Chris Anker TST + 01' 40''
    8 IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI Jon EUS + 01' 44''
    9 POZZOVIVO Domenico ALM + 01' 44''
    10 KISERLOVSKI Robert RLT + 01' 47''
    11 CAPECCHI Eros MOV + 01' 51''
    12 SANTAROMITA Ivan BMC + 02' 12''

New GC:
    1 MAJKA Rafał TST 11h 04' 43''
    2 HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis SKY + 00' 04''
    3 RIBLON Christophe ALM + 00' 06''
    4 WEENING Pieter OGE + 00' 07''
    5 IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI Jon EUS + 00' 09''
    6 SORENSEN Chris Anker TST + 00' 09''
    7 CAPECCHI Eros MOV + 00' 13''
    8 POZZOVIVO Domenico ALM + 00' 13''
    9 KISERLOVSKI Robert RLT + 00' 16''
    10 ROHREGGER Thomas RLT + 00' 18''
    11 BASSO Ivan CAN + 00' 20''
    12 HOWES Alex GRS + 00' 48''

In the 'Attractivity' stakes today, Rohregger took 30 secs, Huzarski 20 and Riblon 10.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    knedlicky wrote:
    Don't know what Cyclingnews showed yesterday, but Sorensen was yesterday 13th in GC, 10 secs back.

Didn't Sorensen take 20 seconds for tying 2nd in the 'attractivity' classification? Thus jumping up from 13th.
  • Give me more
    knedlicky wrote:

Didn't Sorensen take 20 seconds for tying 2nd in the 'attractivity' classification? Thus jumping up from 13th.

I thought he was just 13th with 0 time gap. At least that's what it seems to list on the ToP website.
  • argyllflyer
    I thought he was just 13th with 0 time gap. At least that's what it seems to list on the ToP website.

That was the stage result but I'm pretty confused. He, going by Cycling News, finished joint 2nd on 'Attractivity' and should have got 20 bonus seconds.

This classification is a fiasco.
  • Give me more
    edited July 2013

That was the stage result but I'm pretty confused. He, going by Cycling News, finished joint 2nd on 'Attractivity' and should have got 20 bonus seconds.

It's all very silly. The ToP site lists him as 5th for attractivity on the day for s1 (i.e. no time bonus) with Huzarski, Pauwels, and Pinaeu getting the time bonuses.

I think I'm going to presume ToP's actual site is accurate and that CN got their wires crossed somewhere? Looking at the ToP site a bit more it seems he came joint 2nd with Pauwels on the climbing classification for stage 1 so perhaps there is some confusion there with CN? (the others factored in intermediate sprints too while CAS didn't)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gee thats annoying....assumed the stage would be run at a similar time to yesterday so saw nothing of this. Should have checked the schedule I guess.

My man Majka doing his thing which is nice to see as for a moment I thought he was a flash in the pan at the Giro.

Proper heavyweight from Riblon. Respect.

Some of the riders 'racing' today should be thoroughly ashamed of themseleves. Not sure how some of them earn their salaries.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • argyllflyer

It's all very silly. The ToP site lists him as 5th for attractivity on the day for s1 (i.e. no time bonus) with Huzarski, Pauwels, and Pinaeu getting the time bonuses.

I think I'm going to presume ToP's actual site is accurate and that CN got their wires crossed somewhere? Looking at the ToP site a bit more it seems he came joint 2nd with Pauwels on the climbing classification for stage 1 so perhaps there is some confusion there with CN? (the others factored in intermediate sprints too while CAS didn't)

That might be it. The CN website seems to have updated their initial listing putting him joint 4th yesterday on 3 'attractivity' points.
  • frenchfighter
    Fail.
    2422b3a9a81a0250160973967c9cc80c.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Give me more
    Gee thats annoying....assumed the stage would be run at a similar time to yesterday so saw nothing of this. Should have checked the schedule I guess.

Yeah, it was pretty wildly different.

On a similar note, no racing tomorrow.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Some of the riders 'racing' today should be thoroughly ashamed of themseleves. Not sure how some of them earn their salaries.

+1

A paid holiday for some it seems

Good to see Riblon backing up AdH
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    what on earth is going on in this race is baffling despite watching it.

terrible coverage combined with weirdo bonuses.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105

Bradley Wiggins appears to be soft peddling his way around this tour for 2M per year, Riders like Ian Stannard and others bust a gut almost every race for 50K a year.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    sportvan wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins appears to be soft peddling his way around this tour for 2M per year, Riders like Ian Stannard and others bust a gut almost every race for 50K a year.

No one who makes Skys TdF squad earns 50K. I doubt anyone who rides for Sky is on that little.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Wiggins was with Henao until the foot of the final climb. That was his job.

People who didn't watch the race (ff) shouldn't comment on who did/didn't earn their money.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    ^^^^^^

Vuelta rehearsal - Wiggins takes them to the foot of the climb, Uran leads Henao till the slow motion mtf sprint?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jam1e wrote:
    ^^^^^^

Vuelta rehearsal - Wiggins takes them to the foot of the climb, Uran leads Henao till the slow motion mtf sprint?
    Wiggins isn't doing the Vuelta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Fair enough, thought he was for some reason.
  • frenchfighter
    Turfle wrote:
    Wiggins was with Henao until the foot of the final climb. That was his job.

People who didn't watch the race (ff) shouldn't comment on who did/didn't earn their money.

And the same yesterday? So he is being paid to come to this race and ride on the flat for Henao? If he is supposedly riding for Henao then he should still be good enough to finish with a few mins.

I suppose he will magically turn up to the Worlds with ridiculously good form though.

And anyway, there are many riders in this race who I was referring to. Just scroll down the list and you will see that there are some very good riders other than Wiggins and Nibali in this race who are soft pedalling.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Why would Wiggins need to be in super-lean climbing form when his primary objective for the rest of the year is a flat 50km TT?
  • frenchfighter
    afx237vi wrote:
    Why would Wiggins need to be in super-lean climbing form when his primary objective for the rest of the year is a flat 50km TT?

I suppose it is nice to be paid boat loads of cash to race a GT (which you fail in) and a couple of 1 day events at the end of the year. If he also fancies his chances in the RR then I will expect him to turn himself inside out and finish in the top group on stage 6.

At the end of the day I am watching to be entertained. Someoene doing a simple job of some average domestique duties before the camera starts rolling then soft pedalling the finale is not what I would call entertaining. It is natural as a fan to want to see the 'big' names mixing it up something special.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi wrote:

I suppose it is nice to be paid boat loads of cash to race a GT (which you fail in) and a couple of 1 day events at the end of the year. If he also fancies his chances in the RR then I will expect him to turn himself inside out and finish in the top group on stage 6.

At the end of the day I am watching to be entertained. Someoene doing a simple job of some average domestique duties before the camera starts rolling then soft pedalling the finale is not what I would call entertaining. It is natural as a fan to want to see the 'big' names mixing it up something special.

Yeah, like you'd have been entertained if he'd rode hard and won the stage.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Even in a chipper like the Tour of Poland?