Tour of Poland 2013 **SPOILERS**

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited August 2013 in Pro race
The Tour of Poland starts on Saturday and I am really looking forward to it.

It starts in Italy with what look like some tough mountain stages with which Moser was involved in the planning I think.

It is also the first time the new classification will be tested out by the UCI:

Bonus points will be available for riders over predetermined sprints or KOMs under the "Race Appeal" banner with time bonuses also up for grabs. In another bid to create more attacking competition throughout each stage, teams will be made up of just six riders, as opposed to the usual eight that's allowed
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-of ... sification

Stage 1
profile-01.jpg
Stage 2
profile-02.jpg
-Rest day when they go back to Poland -
Stage 3
profile-03.jpg
Stage 4
profile-04.jpg
Stage 5
profile-05.jpg
Stage 6
profile-06.jpg
Stage 7
profile-07.jpg

In terms of GC riders, you have Nibali who is the outright favourite
Scarponi and Niemiec for Lampre
Henao, Uran and Wiggins for Sky
Frank for BMC
Majka for Saxo
Basso for Cannondale
Kruijswijk for Blanco
Bole for Vacansoleil
Kiserlovski for Radioshack
Pozzovivo for AG2R
Konig for NetApp
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Stage 6 makes me feel sea sick!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Sounds good. that cast has perked my interest up a bit although there are still 4 crit finishes.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Seems like they're experimenting with teams of six, 138 riders in total
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Nice one FF - some interesting looking stages there. Something to whet my appetite before I hit the north-east of Italy myself in August. Hopefully there will be some good racing
  • Let's do this thing!
  • frenchfighter
    route-map.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The Tour of Poland starts on Saturday and I am really looking forward to it.
    It starts in Italy with what look like some tough mountain stages with which Moser was involved in the planning I think.
    It is also the first time the new classification will be tested out by the UCI:

Bonus points will be available for riders over predetermined sprints or KOMs under the "Race Appeal" banner with time bonuses also up for grabs. In another bid to create more attacking competition throughout each stage, teams will be made up of just six riders, as opposed to the usual eight that's allowed
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-of ... sification
    It’s the time bonuses associated with the intermediate sprints and mid-stage climbs which are the interesting thing. I like the idea and hope it works and is then introduced in other races.
  • knedlicky
    Stage 2
    profile-02.jpg
    The Passo Pampeago (Stage 2, km 136) is a killer. In the middle (after the village of Stava) it rises 250 m in just 2 km, including a stretch of 100 m at over 18%.

The top 2 km didn’t used to be paved (see photo), I heard because of nature protection reasons. The stretch was rideable with a road bike if careful and with good tyres but I presume that’s changed and it’s now asphalted.

9355715519_bc6566f100.jpg
  • knedlicky
    Ridgerider wrote:
    It will also be very hard – the Gliczarow climb (at 26, 64, 103, 141 and 179 kms) has a stretch at 23%.
    Anyone with serious intentions of the World's RR at Florence should be riding it as test.
    Stage 6
    profile-06.jpg
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Some good looking stages, the time bonuses should make it interesting and the line ups make it a must watch. Will be interested to see how Wiggins gets on, see if he's got his mojo back or still can't be arsed.
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Is Cancellara in this one? Hushovd?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    It will be interesting to see who Sky use as their team leader..

Is Wiggins on form?
    Is Uran leaving next season?
    Is Henao good enough?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Is Cancellara in this one? Hushovd?

I sometimes wonder whether you only have access to this site! ;-)

http://tourdepologne.pl/en/t/starting-list,content/
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Quintero's brother is in the Colombia squad, if he can climb like his bro then the first two stages could be handy
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • frenchfighter
    edhornby wrote:
    Quintero's brother is in the Colombia squad, if he can climb like his bro then the first two stages could be handy

It isn`t Nairo`s brother. His name is Dayer.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    ah my mistake, cheers Frenchie - I need to calm down after the tour....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Ridgerider wrote:
    I think I shall be Giddy going round and round the houses all day after that stage 4 cicuit.
    A nice day for Bradley to finish.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Kirby's back.

@EurosportUKTV: @fuephil The commentators for the @tour_de_pologne will be @carltonkirby and @MagnusBackstedt. #tdp2013
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    how big are the time bonuses?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edhornby wrote:

It isn`t Nairo`s brother. His name is Dayer.

It was highly unlikely that somebody called Quintero would be Nairo's brother, in any case. :wink:

Looking forward to seeing cyclists climb Italian mountains; bit of a rarity, this year.
    Those poo city circuits seems to making way, which is great.
    Looks pretty tough.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Am I missing something here? There appears to be a rather large hill about 50km into Stage 1 but it isn't shown as being categorised.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross wrote:
    Am I missing something here? There appears to be a rather large hill about 50km into Stage 1 but it isn't shown as being categorised.

I make it about 900 metres of climbing in 10kms.
    Not even the Giro would leave 10kms at 9% as uncategorised.
    3rd cat, maybe, but...... :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Yep, my calculation was about the same, maybe closer to 1000m of climbing even. Must be a cat 1 but the symbol is missing. Be quite funny if any teams hadn't looked properly and were expecting a fairly flat start or maybe they got elevation data off Strava!
  • mididoctors

thats a right dogs dinner

30 secs is quite a lot but I wonder.

isn't it an excuse just to chase down everything?.... I am interested in how this works out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Kirby's back.

@EurosportUKTV: @fuephil The commentators for the @tour_de_pologne will be @carltonkirby and @MagnusBackstedt. #tdp2013

FFS Noooooo! sound off again!!!

Harmon get well soon pleeeease! :shock:
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Pross wrote:

I make it about 900 metres of climbing in 10kms.
    Not even the Giro would leave 10kms at 9% as uncategorised.
    3rd cat, maybe, but...... :)

I mapped it out on BikeRouteToaster. The route on the site is pretty difficult to follow, but it seems like it goes up the SP64 to Mezzocorona to Andalo. Seems like it climbs 880m over 14km - so an average gradient of about 6.5%.

9368701576_e6efafa761_o.png
  • mididoctors
    not sure this going to work... ok your gc guys make all the big gaps on stage 1 and 2 but then have smaller teams to defend so will the tendency be to combine teams even more than usual to defend gc of 2nd 3rd etc?

ie smaller squads reduce the ability to attack in a counter intuitive manner

I suppose the WC circuit stage is still hard enough to attack on.... I can't remember how dan martin won. repeated attacking on the shark fin stage?
  • frenchfighter
    Live on ES at 4.30pm.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Live on ES at 4.30pm.

Unfortunately the new-look Eurosport player is completely borked :x