Tour of Poland 2013 **SPOILERS**

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Oh my. Classy. Riblon proper heavyweight. Super chuffed for Atapuma.

Konig 3rd is good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Riblon can time trial when he feels like it (which is rarely). He'll be tough to dislodge from the lead.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,556
    Majka 5th. Missed 4th.

6 bonus seconds for Riblon.

Attractivity tombola still to come.
  • Attractivity should be Marczynski & Atapuma 30s, and Huzarski 10s

so 0 effect on GC

---

Racer Start No Team Time Loss
    1 RIBLON Christophe 176 ALM 31h 09' 20''
    2 IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI Jon 122 EUS 31h 09' 39'' + 00' 19''
    3 MAJKA Rafał 55 TST 31h 09' 40'' + 00' 20''
    4 HENAO MONTOYA Sergio Luis 31 SKY 31h 09' 44'' + 00' 24''
    5 WEENING Pieter 136 OGE 31h 09' 47'' + 00' 27''
    6 POZZOVIVO Domenico 175 ALM 31h 09' 53'' + 00' 33''
    7 CAPECCHI Eros 111 MOV 31h 09' 53'' + 00' 33''
    8 KISERLOVSKI Robert 83 RLT 31h 09' 56'' + 00' 36''
    9 BASSO Ivan 61 CAN 31h 10' 00'' + 00' 40''
    10 SORENSEN Chris Anker 52 TST 31h 10' 01'' + 00' 41''
  • TheBigBean
    Attractivity should be Marczynski & Atapuma 30s, and Huzarski 10s

so 0 effect on GC

Good work, sir.

I actually quite like the attempt to spice things up, but haven't followed the race closely enough to work it all out.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The top 5 are all pretty handy time triallists, and 37 km is enough for significant gaps. Will be very an interesting and open fight for the GC tomorrow
  • TheBigBean wrote:

so 0 effect on GC

Good work, sir.

I actually quite like the attempt to spice things up, but haven't followed the race closely enough to work it all out.

I think it's actually not been badly implemented, it's just that we've had such a dearth of information during the broadcasts that understanding who's in position to pick up the bonuses and how it has impacted the race overall has proven hard.

I rather like it because it gives top riders an incentive to make moves in the race rather than sitting with the GC bunch and maybe making something happen at the end. Izaguirre pulled it off yesterday and the tiny bonus he gained was enough to give him a day in the leaders jersey. Riblon's decision to get in a break and attack from so far out on the 2nd stage gives him an extra 10s over his rivals now etc.

I wouldn't say it has been a success, but I think people are being overly critical if they call it a failure too. I won't mind the idea being revisited for future tours at least.
  • RichN95.

I think it's actually not been badly implemented, it's just that we've had such a dearth of information during the broadcasts that understanding who's in position to pick up the bonuses and how it has impacted the race overall has proven hard.

I rather like it because it gives top riders an incentive to make moves in the race rather than sitting with the GC bunch and maybe making something happen at the end. Izaguirre pulled it off yesterday and the tiny bonus he gained was enough to give him a day in the leaders jersey. Riblon's decision to get in a break and attack from so far out on the 2nd stage gives him an extra 10s over his rivals now etc.

I wouldn't say it has been a success, but I think people are being overly critical if they call it a failure too. I won't mind the idea being revisited for future tours at least.
    I agree. It's not necessarily the rule that is bad, just it's presentation. And the presentation of all information in this race has been poor. I think it's too early to dismiss as an idea - particularly as this is a race with a disproportionately long TT (it should be 20k)

As an aside to that last point about TTs. Surely someone should be able to work out some mathematical formula for how long TTs should be to balance them with the climbing stages. It won't be perfect, but a lot of week long WT races are overly biased towards TTs.
  • TheBigBean wrote:

so 0 effect on GC

Good work, sir.

And it doesn't help that the commentator almost rejoices in his ignorance about it. Kirby has done zero to shed light on it and went into yesterday's stage maintaining it had no influence on GC. Today he surpassed that by disagreeing with Magnus about whether or not Izagirre was leading GC (he thought he was 13th!), and if he was then whether it was down to Attractivity.

It's like a football commentator not knowing the offside rule.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There were update graphics on the virtual attractivity bonus standings on screen today after every hill or sprint. Loads of them. It;s just that the ES commentators didn't really see its significance. There have also been regular on screen updates on time gaps and distance to the finish. Not the best I've seen, but certainly not the worst. And looking at live tickers race radio has been giving decent info about time gaps before broadcast starts. It's just that Carlton has been moaning about it and can't use the information. Sporza uses their own stopwatches, even if on screen graphics is perfect. Don't blame the host broadcaster.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    the race has suffered from poor coverage from the tv network on hand.

I actually think they should persevere with this mod for another year and give it a chance... the lack of control due to smaller teams has a definite effect.

I suspect its not a bad race.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    FJS wrote:
    It's just that Carlton has been moaning about it and can't use the information.
    True :- they come on screen but Maggy just ignores them as he continues to Umm and mumble his personal dialog that means so much to him but nothing to do with what's on screen.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • It isn't about what a commentator thinks..............when he actually thinks.
    We have an ITT tomorrow to decide the GC and, for once, all the protagonists are climbers.
    Anybody's guess who will come out on top.

I find the prospect quite attractive.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean

Having done no research whatsoever, I'd plump for Riblon. He has looked strong all week.

Phinney for the stage though.
  • RichN95.
    It isn't about what a commentator thinks..............when he actually thinks.
    We have an ITT tomorrow to decide the GC and, for once, all the protagonists are climbers.

I find the prospect quite attractive.
    Riblon to win. I think you can rely on an ex-trackie to turn out a decent time trial.
  • Carlton seemed to be tipping Wiggo to pull it off in it ITT. He had the TT form in the Giro but this is nearly 3 months on...
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Must admit seeing Poland yesterday I did wonder why the locals have left their homeland for the UK as I thought it looked great. Packing my bags already.

A-view-from-Szczeliniec-to-Owls-Mountains-and-Klodzko-valley-Poland.-copy-Pawel-Uchorczak-Poland-2013-Sony-World-Photography-Awards-650x300.jpg

Not sure about the Hats though :wink: -
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... t=1&ref=nf
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Carlton seemed to be tipping Wiggo to pull it off in it ITT. He had the TT form in the Giro but this is nearly 3 months on...

I think any comment on Wiggins form is going to be wild speculation at this point. He's done his share of work for Henao but who knows how much he's put into that compared to how much he has to give this week, and whether or not he really wants to push himself for a competitive TT at this point.

It's going to be an interesting TT given GC being so close anyway though =)

----

Phinney setting the early pace with a time of 47:50

Wiggins out on the road now.

Cancellara takes the lead with a time of 47:32

Nibali in on a 49:53 for those curious, 8th currently.

Wiggins takes a sizable lead with a 46:36
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Sir Wiggo is in the room.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Hammered Spartacus.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Annoying that they didn't start the coverage earlier.. wanted to watch Wiggo smashing it :(
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    edited August 2013
    Wow Weening on pace with Phinney at the midway point. Could be very interesting for GC :O

Henao not too far off the pace either.
  • poppit
    Annoying that they didn't start the coverage earlier.. wanted to watch Wiggo smashing it :(
    Yes, wanted to see more of his fancy Bolide as well.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Good intermediate time from Riblon, looks like being close between him and Weening at this point. Henao riding closer to Riblon's pace.
  • Weening in 6th with a 48:20. Real threat to overall #1 now!

Henao comes in 13th with a 49:14, which scuppers his GC ambitions entirely

Majka in 9th with a 48:53, enough to beat Henao but nowhere close to Weening

Izaguirre in 7th with a 48:41 which also leaves him behind Weening

Only Riblon left and he's struggling, needs a 48:47 to hold onto the title.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Brown oversocks are horrible
  • Riblon comes in at 49:03

Peter Weening wins the Tour of Poland 2013!

Izaguirre gets up to second, and Riblon does at least hang onto a podium position in 3rd.
  • Feel a bit sorry for Christophe but Weening has ridden an excellent alll round tour
  • Feel a bit sorry for Christophe but Weening has ridden an excellent alll round tour
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Yes, Weening!