TdF 2013 - Stage 20 ***Spoilers*** Annecy - Semnoz

Comments

• iainf72 wrote:
    I thought that was a really good stage.

Felt a bit for Contador but hey, that's bike racing. I don't think he's finished though.

Froome impressive. Quintana looks like a future winner - But then we've been saying that for some time.

With guys like Talansky, Froome, Quintana, TJVG we have the next few years sorted out.

Have you been drinking?

Wasn't a bad stage though.

Some good young riders about.

I also felt a bit sorry for Contador, he did everything he could to win and it was exciting to watch. Pleased for Quintana too. J Rod showed he learnt from last year's Vuelta, great result for him.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    iainf72 wrote:

Felt a bit for Contador but hey, that's bike racing. I don't think he's finished though.

Froome impressive. Quintana looks like a future winner - But then we've been saying that for some time.

With guys like Talansky, Froome, Quintana, TJVG we have the next few years sorted out.

Have you been drinking?

Wasn't a bad stage though.

Some good young riders about.

it was a good stage I reckon
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    you get the impression there was a touch of a anti-bertie combine at the front end of that race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    iainf72 wrote:

I reckon TJVG's palmares will end up looking something like Levi Leipheimer's. One decent showing in the TDF (which he's already had), maybe a Tour de Suisse and even a podium in a poor Vuelta but total domination of the Tour of California for a number of years.
  • mididoctors
    DeadCalm wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I reckon TJVG's palmares will end up looking something like Levi Leipheimer's. One decent showing in the TDF (which he's already had), maybe a Tour de Suisse and even a podium in a poor Vuelta but total domination of the Tour of California for a number of years.

I find it hard to like tj for some reason

he gave it three goes at getting a stage. came near once. which is un-leviesque. I think he may be somewhat more interesting to watch than levi. win a GT? mmmmm hard to see so agree with you there
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    What is it with world superstars and their Kenyan birth certificates that people find so difficult?

kenya.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    Just watching the highlights, KREUZIGER almost looks in tears as he turns himself inside out for Contador. Always respected the hurt the pros put themselves through but as the tour gets 'cleaner' (subjective I know) we're really getting to see it, especially from the domestiques.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    edited July 2013
    Quite agree, nice one Cyclingsheep. Watching the cannon fodder destroying themselves on the front for there team, then drifting back off the bunch to finish 10 mins down. Big respect to those unsung heroes. Everyone who rides a bike knows what its like to suffer, that's why I cant accept the booing that went on up the Alp, or Frenchies petty sniping at certain riders.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Kreuziger must have been thinking to himself what a missed opportunity for a Tour podium.
    Rich
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Don't think Froome has ever lived here - I doubt he feels British and I certainly don't see him as British. Be nice for Kenya to have the anthem played.

Check. He says the same himself - I will post his views on it when I do the Chris Froome thread. He owes Britain nothing but has a lot of love for Kenya (v respectable long term views actually which I will also post).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Thanks Contador, you made my day, off you pop empty-handed :)

Quintana looking good, pleased for him, he even cracked a smile once he'd crossed the line, he deserved a stage and his podium.
  • frenchfighter
    RichA wrote:
    Kreuziger must have been thinking to himself what a missed opportunity for a Tour podium.

Really? How so?

Contador beat him on both TTs and the mountains - only on ax3 did he look stronger. Today he got dropped early doors, clawed his way back, rode as strong as he could then dropped off some.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    There's a massive amount of people who don't care if Froome is British or not. I suppose its worth some people playing the nationality card now that there's no point in clutching at straws that he might not win.

Convincing tour by Froome. If Sky sorted themselves out a bit better, took a few other riders, they will have it completely nailed next year if Froome has form like he has this season.
  • mfin
    I think if Kreuz had been the leader for Saxo not Contacheat then he could have done better this year.

Not to take anything away from Contador, he'd make a great Domestique.
  • frenchfighter
    For all you Contador haters he is only one of five riders who have won all three Grand Tours in their career. Five.

Also, little fact for you who talk shoot about his 07 win - Ras was 2.23 ahead of him before he got pulled and he only won the Tour by less than a minute.

He is Certified beyond anything your boy Froome could ever dream of let alone achieve. He has 7 GTs to Froome's one. Anything he does from now on is just a bonus. And he will - still racking and stacking. You dont judge a rider by their last race, you judge them by their whole career.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    mfin wrote:
    I think if Kreuz had been the leader for Saxo not Contacheat then he could have done better this year.

Not to take anything away from Contador, he'd make a great Domestique.

Probably some truth n that - same for TJ v Evans - may not have changed the overall but would have shook the top ten up somewhat.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mfin
    For all you Contador haters he is only one of five riders who have won all three Grand Tours in their career. Five.

Also, little fact for you who talk shoot about his 07 win - Ras was 2.23 ahead of him before he got pulled and he only won the Tour by less than a minute.

He is Certified beyond anything your boy Froome could ever dream of let alone achieve. He has 7 GTs to Froome's one. Anything he does from now on is just a bonus. And he will - still racking and stacking. You dont judge a rider by their last race, you judge them by their whole career.

Naaaaa. He's a drug cheat.
  • frenchfighter
    Little legs saluting with more romance than a legion of Sky winners. Old school heavyweight cycling forever.

le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130720-161400-873.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 3h
    Tomorrow finish the Tour 2013,but after tomorrow start the 2014 one, this motivate me even more!!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    What I thought was interesting was post banning I think we saw the 'real' contador and the real valverde and for my money - Contadors undoubted panache and heroics aside, Valverde seemed the better, more tactically astute, and stronger rider.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • frenchfighter
    What a champion Valverde has been this Tour. Check out Froome's face.

le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130720-165554-184.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    What I thought was interesting was post banning I think we saw the 'real' contador and the real valverde and for my money - Contadors undoubted panache and heroics aside, Valverde seemed the better, more tactically astute, and stronger rider.

Yeah Valverde is so much better he beat Contador in the last GT they raced didnt he? He also beat him this race? Oh, let me just double check that!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Never been a great contador fan but I am warming to him... Still think he looks like The mekon in dan dare
  • frenchfighter
    le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130720-164025-516.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Why does not liking Contador make Froome "my boy".
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762

Very true. I think I've been more impressed by Valverde since he's come back, than I ever was before his ban. He's much more aggressive, much less inclined to wait for the final 500m.

Would be interesting to see how close he'd have gone without that unfortunate 10 minute loss to a puncture.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,036
    mfin wrote:

Naaaaa. He's a drug cheat.

Careful....

If Contador is a drugs cheat, he has been beaten by.....?

If he has been beaten because he's 'not so good without the beef' then he as just achieved a 4th place in a GT clean!

He is undoubtedly a talented rider, and is not done yet.
  • frenchfighter
    Voeckler. FAIL.

le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130720-134000-587.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Voeckler. FAIL.

le-tour-france-2013-stage-20130720-134000-587.jpg

Be fair, he messed himself up but good earlier in the season. He's only riding because him and Rolland are the only rider EUC have capable of stage wins.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Why does not liking Contador make Froome "my boy".

In FF's world there is only black and white. No shades of grey. (Although he'd probably blush himself to death if he read that book).