TDF 2013 Stage 17 TT - *Spoilers* - Embrun - Chorges

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Alpe preview on ES. Moist. Surely Alberto goes for a long one, burying the hatchet in Quintana as he's towed up the second ascent?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I am also a real cycling fan and can sympathise with FF.

It's not easy when your hero is being beaten by someone over whom you have doubts.

I remember how I felt in 2007 when Cunego beat Ricco into second place in the Giro di Lombardia - frustration wasn't the word....
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    For Péraud his back wheel broke away when it hit some white "fan paint" on the corner. That stuff is very slippy, almost like putting diesel down on the road when it rains.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2013
    Tomorrow's stage starts at 12.15 CET. Whole stage live on Eurosport :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Just watching the replay of Froome's bike change.. And he certainly doesn't do it with the same bike-tossing-panache as Sir Wiggo

Panache is a gift. You have to limit the use of it. If you over use it, it gets taken away.

Perhaps that's why Bertie didn't change his bike - not enough Panache credit left to use?
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    Froome sticking one up Bertie there, great to see Bertie getting these beat downs, love it.

Froome continues on his destruction of this tour, great stuff.

Jrod for the podium to hopefully.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Haven't bothered reading the rest of the thread, find them too depressing to bother with mostly but my take on bike changes which I suspect has been debated.

1. Should only be allowed to change in the event of a mechanical.
    2. Should only be allowed to change for a bike of the same type.
    3. Rider should not be allowed to get a push if they decide to change.

To be honest I wasn't sure there was enough advantage in having a TT bike for the final section to justify the time loss in changing due to the technical nature of the course but it appeared to be worth about 20 seconds compared to 10 seconds lost in the change.

Wasnt debated on here really. Kind of agree with you. In MTBing you HAVE to finish with the same frame you start with (so if you smash the derailleur you have to replace the derailleur not just get a new bike).

As one of us posted on twitter though it would just lead to a load of mechanics holding bikes with snapped gear cables or punctures and super innocent expressions on their faces...

On the other hand, Cross worlds this year had the top guys swapping bikes most laps.

I think most only used two bikes. The bike mechanics were washing the rear mechs etc during each lap to get rid of the muck and improve transmission.
  • Macaloon
    Petra's hair has grown since Corsica.

Petra in her youth with the Blue Peter team

The-Blue-Peter-team-in-th-002.jpg
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    oneof1982 wrote:
    SAD DAY FOR REAL CYCLING FANS GLOBALLY

I hope Froome gets f ucking destroyed in the next few days

And another great BR contributor shoots out the back of the peloton.

You make much of being a trader. You enhance your goodwill chip stack by finding and posting interesting photos, injecting huge amounts of passion, and adding the occasionaly insight to debate (all of which I like). But you don't half waste your chips in with a load of tosh, on an incresingly regular basis.

Well I hope his trading is a lot more rational than most of his postings otherwise his P&L will be resembling Jerome Kerviel's
  • alan_a
    Tomorrow's stage starts at 12.12 CET. Whole stage live on Eurosport :D

Mrs has antenatal scanning appointment at 10.45am - RAGING :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Pross wrote:

I really have to agree with this. If you change your bike, it should be a standing start just like at the start of the TT itself. Push should only be allowed in the case of mishap and even then the push should only be enough to enable the rider clip in.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    GMB wrote:
    I am also a real cycling fan and can sympathise with FF.

It's not easy when your hero is being beaten by someone over whom you have doubts.

I remember how I felt in 2007 when Cunego beat Ricco into second place in the Giro di Lombardia - frustration wasn't the word....

At least you don't act like a big girls blouse over it.

Bertie has had his time, its Froome time now, if Bertie wants to win anymore GTs he should stick to the other 2.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

I think everyone's will have. Won't it? :wink:
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Froome, 'The Cannibal'
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • above_the_cows
    Alan A wrote:

You mean you didn't plan for this when, you know...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

I'm suddenly feeling a bit peaky...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Pross wrote:
    Haven't bothered reading the rest of the thread, find them too depressing to bother with mostly but my take on bike changes which I suspect has been debated.

To be honest I wasn't sure there was enough advantage in having a TT bike for the final section to justify the time loss in changing due to the technical nature of the course but it appeared to be worth about 20 seconds compared to 10 seconds lost in the change.

1. Impossible to enforce "the brakes were rubbing, thought I was flat, gears hopped"
    2. That would effectively ban TT bikes for most teams, or at least restrict them to their very top riders.
    3. What if they crash? Still have to start up alone? I think I could still live with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Macaloon wrote:

Petra in her youth with the Blue Peter team

The-Blue-Peter-team-in-th-002.jpg

That's Shep, not Petra.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Interesting...BES saying that when Sastre made THAT attack on the Alpe, Froome was the only rider to go with him...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alan_a
    Alan A wrote:

You mean you didn't plan for this when, you know...

Stupid me. Wee one is due to arrive on first weekend of Edinburgh Fringe. FAIL!
  • above_the_cows

I think everyone's will have. Won't it? :wink:

But noticeably grown, it's an expensive haircut she has, so not so easy to just pop out for a quick tidy up.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Froome's black socks/bootees look HORRIBLE!

Froome looked like a wasp!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Macaloon
    oneof1982 wrote:
    That's Shep, not Petra.

Which one?
  • above_the_cows
    MATTEO TRENTIN ‏@MATTEOTRENTIN 3m

Is there something where u are not strong @michalkwiatek ??
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Bike changing reminds me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8W4oEC2Co

(And I do think they should be allowed to change bikes if they want to. Just a bit surprised some of the changes were so bad. I would have thought a bike my the side of the road would have been quicker than having to take one off the team car...)
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    Pross wrote:

1. Impossible to enforce "the brakes were rubbing, thought I was flat, gears hopped"
    2. That would effectively ban TT bikes for most teams, or at least restrict them to their very top riders.
    3. What if they crash? Still have to start up alone? I think I could still live with it.

I think rule 2 overides your first two points, which would also negate the need for a push in circumstances other than a mechanical.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but Movistar have just signed up Quintana's 22yr old younger brother....

2 Quintana's got to be better than 1 right?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Macaloon wrote:
    oneof1982 wrote:
    That's Shep, not Petra.

Which one?

The dog.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Bike changing reminds me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e8W4oEC2Co

(And I do think they should be allowed to change bikes if they want to. Just a bit surprised some of the changes were so bad. I would have thought a bike my the side of the road would have been quicker than having to take one off the team car...)
    Isn't there a rule that says any new bikes have to come from the car rather than being pre-positioned?
  • above_the_cows

I'm suddenly feeling a bit peaky...

Oh I see what you did there. Very clever. :D

Obviously its 12.15 CET. I've changed it now.