TDF 2013 Stage 17 TT - *Spoilers* - Embrun - Chorges

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    SAD DAY FOR REAL CYCLING FANS GLOBALLY

I hope Froome gets f ucking destroyed in the next few days

I'm a real cycling fan, and I'm not that bothered.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    +1 Nap!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Just watching the replay of Froome's bike change.. And he certainly doesn't do it with the same bike-tossing-panache as Sir Wiggo
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Kwiatkowski back into the GC top 10. :D
    Happy with that. Although I'd rather he was 10th rather than 9th.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Lichtblick wrote:
    What does FTFY mean?? I'm hopelessly out of touch
    As mentioned: Fixed that for you. It's when people have change someone else's post when they reply - as I have done with yours. It's something mostly done by knobs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Macaloon wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    What does FTFY mean? Some sort of insult?

Fixed That For You - frequently sarcastic, often with humorous intent

ok. Someone posted that to me once. Naturally I assumed the Fs were the F word.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703

And another great BR contributor shoots out the back of the peleton.

You make much of being a trader. You enhance your goodwill chip stack by finding and posting interesting photos, injecting huge amounts of passion, and adding the occasionaly insight to debate (all of which I like). But you don't half waste your chips in with a load of tosh, on an incresingly regular basis.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Kwiatkowski back into the GC top 10. :D
    Happy with that. Although I'd rather he was 10th rather than 9th.

Yeah, shame he jumped a place because of Péraud's misfortune.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Haven't bothered reading the rest of the thread, find them too depressing to bother with mostly but my take on bike changes which I suspect has been debated.

1. Should only be allowed to change in the event of a mechanical.
    2. Should only be allowed to change for a bike of the same type.
    3. Rider should not be allowed to get a push if they decide to change.

To be honest I wasn't sure there was enough advantage in having a TT bike for the final section to justify the time loss in changing due to the technical nature of the course but it appeared to be worth about 20 seconds compared to 10 seconds lost in the change.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    What do I need to do to qualify as a "real cycling fan"?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I do not follow the Forum politics closely, but why the dislike verging on hatred for Froome displayed by some? I have no particular liking for him (colonialists not my political fellows), but I doubt that that reason/perspective is shared by many cyclists!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • disgruntledgoat
    Just watching the replay of Froome's bike change.. And he certainly doesn't do it with the same bike-tossing-panache as Sir Wiggo

You just wait til Stybar makes his debut next year, his bike changes will be things of wonder.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452

Support unrepentant dopers mainly I think.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Nice to see Froome not giving a single second to the Spanish dancer! Emphatic and well deserved win
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Be FF.
    Pross wrote:
    Haven't bothered reading the rest of the thread, find them too depressing to bother with mostly but my take on bike changes which I suspect has been debated.
    Actually I don't remember reading much debate on this today!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    That was a proper week 3 tt that.

Expensive for the Dutch. Those two are going to be in a world of pain this week.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    oneof1982 wrote:

And another great BR contributor shoots out the back of the peloton.

You make much of being a trader. You enhance your goodwill chip stack by finding and posting interesting photos, injecting huge amounts of passion, and adding the occasionaly insight to debate (all of which I like). But you don't half waste your chips in with a load of tosh, on an incresingly regular basis.
    +1
  • Lichtblick

Ride around on Sundays in Lampre kit?
  • above_the_cows

Panache is a gift. You have to limit the use of it. If you over use it, it gets taken away.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    andyp wrote:

Support unrepentant dopers mainly I think.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • ddraver
    Pross wrote:

To be honest I wasn't sure there was enough advantage in having a TT bike for the final section to justify the time loss in changing due to the technical nature of the course but it appeared to be worth about 20 seconds compared to 10 seconds lost in the change.

Wasnt debated on here really. Kind of agree with you. In MTBing you HAVE to finish with the same frame you start with (so if you smash the derailleur you have to replace the derailleur not just get a new bike).

As one of us posted on twitter though it would just lead to a load of mechanics holding bikes with snapped gear cables or punctures and super innocent expressions on their faces...
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:

Pross I guess it's a tough call. Sky crunched the numbers (suprise suprise) and thought it was worth the risk. It could have gone terribly wrong, he could have had a mechanical at some point afterwards requiring another change and it was an option open to all. It's a variable with choice, unlike the weather.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

Couldn't agree more, personally I wouldn't have allowed Valverde and Contador anywhere near the start line.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • above_the_cows
    Petra's hair has grown since Corsica.
  • ddraver
    Sudden urge to go to Malaysia...
    - @ddraver
  • Lichtblick
    Je predicte que cette forum va etre en meltdown le demain.
  • disgruntledgoat
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Wasnt debated on here really. Kind of agree with you. In MTBing you HAVE to finish with the same frame you start with (so if you smash the derailleur you have to replace the derailleur not just get a new bike).

As one of us posted on twitter though it would just lead to a load of mechanics holding bikes with snapped gear cables or punctures and super innocent expressions on their faces...

On the other hand, Cross worlds this year had the top guys swapping bikes most laps.

@gietvangent
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Hope Peraud hasn't done any serious damage to his already knackered shoulder.

Not sure why FF is so surprised? Man who finished 2nd on the TT on the flat, hasn't had any difficulties on mountain stages can also TT in the mountains. Doesn't take a rocket scientist, geologist or city trader to work that one out!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    oneof1982 wrote:

And another great BR contributor shoots out the back of the peloton.

You make much of being a trader. You enhance your goodwill chip stack by finding and posting interesting photos, injecting huge amounts of passion, and adding the occasionally insight to debate (all of which I like). But you don't half waste your chips in with a load of tosh, on an increasingly regular basis.

An excellent summary, chapeau sir!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris