TDF 2013 Stage 9 *SPOILER*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Really hope Clarke can hold on here, would love him to win the stage.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    not sure what a potato hunt is, but i like it!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Movistar are basically doing exactly what Froome would have wanted from his own team anyway, down to one climb to make it count and Froome has been given an armchair ride.
    ^This.

No way Porte is getting back.

1. yes, but Valverde has a lot more chance of taking 2nd now. Although I suppose Porte will come up with a TT like this to make matters more equal:
    Stage 9 Results
    GBR 1 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING) 51:24
    GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) + 35
    SUI 3 CANCELLARA, Fabian (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 57
    and
    Stage 19 Results
    GBR 1 WIGGINS, Bradley (SKY PROCYCLING) 1:04:13
    GBR 2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY PROCYCLING) + 1:16
    ESP 3 SANCHEZ GIL, Luis Leon (RABOBANK) + 1:50
    SVK 4 VELITS, Peter (OMEGA PHARMA-QUICKSTEP) + 2:02
    AUS 5 PORTE, Richie (SKY PROCYCLING) + 2:25

2. what else do you expect them to do? sit up as Froome is there? I don't think so.

3. Froome suffers without direction from Porte. Lets see if that affects him today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Err, pretty sure I've just seen someone by the side of the road dressed as a speed camera! :?

That was not on the I Spy list.

Everyone can have a President though!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Froome to counter-attack on the final climb and take the stage?
    Not with a long descent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Where is Contador ??
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Aaargh!! fast, open, well shot descent =euro sport add break...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Froome to counter-attack on the final climb and take the stage?
    Not with a long descent.
    If he doesn't attack he has the prospect of having to chase down multiple attacks anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Looks like it's calmed down now right? (nothing on us terrestrial tv here).
  • DeadCalm
    Desperately hoping Bardet can take this stage but think the pressure from behind will see this front four caught.
  • frenchfighter
    If Sky were controlling this as per usual at this point it would be 50km to race and a few riders dangling out front with a tempo tapped all day. As it stands we have had 2 hrs of great racing.

Proper racing for the true cycling fans today, not like some of that pre-packaged BS. Handmade vs factory made.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Rolland been watching 4th cat circuit races and tries the up the inside going into a corner approach!
  • frenchfighter
    It would be interesting if the 'Secret Pro' would do a post soon.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Yes Rick - not surw why Movistar have stopped the 1, 2 attacks unless they re saving them for the last climb. Dragging it up the climb just fast enough to stop Porte coming back is nt going to put Froome into any difficulty

Wonder if the other members of the group could be Froomes saviours here, They re only interested in a Stage Win so letting a MSPS Carriage up the road won't be good for them either....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    Bakelants still between the front four and the peloton. That guy has some guts.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    If Sky were controlling this as per usual at this point it would be 50km to race and a few riders dangling out front with a tempo tapped all day. As it stands we have had 2 hrs of great racing.

Proper racing for the true cycling fans today, not like some of that pre-packaged BS. Handmade vs factory made.

How is what Movistar doing remotely entertaining? What should have been an epic stage with Froome isolated throughout is being skunked away by a train that's not making it hard enough. Today was the day for Quintana to go from distance, Movistar have to risk Quintana's GC position and white jersey to put the pressure on Froome and have failed to do it.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Mooro wrote:

A potato hunt is what the Dutch call it when you're stuck trying to bridge between groups.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Movistar will be burned out pretty soon.
  • rick_chasey
    Mooro wrote:

A potato hunt is what the Dutch call it when you're stuck trying to bridge between groups.

Shas patat.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Stupid exciting race. Im sat covered in mud from my cross session this morning but don't want to risk a shower lest I miss something.

The horquette is ace. Really greasy surface on the way down to the join with the Aspin
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Porte the best part of three and a half minutes behind the yellow jersey group.
  • ddraver
    If it was an MTF then MSPS's tactics might work, but everything is going to compress again on the descent. They HAVE to Drop Froome early if they want to take this!

Quintana can't descend well enough to keep off a maurauding bunch.

BTW - I'm very envious of you people that got up and went for a ride - starting to look less and less likely for me...
    - @ddraver
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Why are Movistar wearing yellow helmets today?
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:

How is what Movistar doing remotely entertaining? What should have been an epic stage with Froome isolated throughout is being skunked away by a train that's not making it hard enough. Today was the day for Quintana to go from distance, Movistar have to risk Quintana's GC position and white jersey to put the pressure on Froome and have failed to do it.

I suggest you watch the first hour of live coverage as well as reading the ticker for what happened before live coverage. Movistar made the race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Pross wrote:

You should probably wait for the final climb before making a judgement.. Movistar are setting up for an attack.
  • DeadCalm
    Allez Romain!!!!!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Best Tour in years and years... So much to be said for dumping the 10 sprinter stages before hitting the mountains
    www.dotcycling.com
  • ddraver
    They re mucking it up now though, trying to out Sky Sky....
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    Oh FFS ITV!