TDF 2013 Stage 9 *SPOILER*

1101112131416»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Wout Poels very emotional in tears at the end of an interview after finishing in the first group, after his bad crash last year. Well done to hime, looking forward to seeing him getting back to his level before the crash in the Alps: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cn ... 130708_014
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I was going to make a mean point about how the Dutch Train Newspapers had full back page spreads of Wout Poels. His contribution was hardly ground breaking was it

(Andy was on the front btw)

I ve just realised I never did a Pyreneean geology post did I?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ddraver wrote:
    I was going to make a mean point about how the Dutch Train Newspapers had full back page spreads of Wout Poels. His contribution was hardly ground breaking was it

Oh horrible ddraver :(

Poor Wout's had a long journey back from an absolute nightmare set of injurys one year ago
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Contador`s sensations were much better yesterday but as he rightly said, it was pointless attacking when there was a huge descent. Effort to reward for an attack on that stage towards the end wasn`t great.

I'm finding you hard to follow here, FF. As the one throwing most of the doping suspicions around, can you please explain how Movistar, with a little help from the mighty Garmin (admittedly), could blow apart the most doped-up team of panache-stranglers since USPS, inside the first 40km of the stage?

Since your accusations are apparently based entirely on unbelievable ET performances, I'm sure you have a solid explanation.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Contador`s sensations were much better yesterday but as he rightly said, it was pointless attacking when there was a huge descent. Effort to reward for an attack on that stage towards the end wasn`t great.

Eh, I thought Contador was all about attacking and panache, not sitting in and riding conservatively.

:?
    Mañana
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Macaloon wrote:

I'm finding you hard to follow here, FF. As the one throwing most of the doping suspicions around, can you please explain how Movistar, with a little help from the mighty Garmin (admittedly), could blow apart the most doped-up team of panache-stranglers since USPS, inside the first 40km of the stage?

Since your accusations are apparently based entirely on unbelievable ET performances, I'm sure you have a solid explanation.

I don`t think Sky are doing institutionalized doping.

They got dropped as they lose their heads when a race is a race and not an elaborate training ride with a kick in the finale.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Tichy ritchy has a tan like no other.

tumblr_mpj2x1sbkV1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Valverde attacked Contador yesterday, so I don't see any alliance happening there. If it's mutually beneficial then sure, but otherwise, no.

I still have no clue what happened at the start of the race yesterday; the cameras seemed to miss everything. One minute there were 4 or 5 Sky riders with Froome, then Kennaugh was in a ditch, then Froome was riding up through seemingly 100 riders all on his own. Was very odd.

Kiryienka and Sivtsov have been inconsistent all year, Lopez peaked 3 months too early, and on top of that G has a fractured pelvis, and Little Pete was covered in plants.

Next mountain stage is Ventoux (I believe), and that's basically a one climb stage, so they should be fine there.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:

There's a classy level of discussion of all things in the Metro :wink: (I actually have a soft spot for their strips, very funny they are, the one on the Fyra shambles was hilarious).

Anyway I think we were all caught a little off guard by yesterday's events, with both the forum being down and the stage itself. I had planned to use the first two climbs to craft a local knowledge waffle post, but there was no forum and the racing was just too nail-biting, so you are forgiven. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    ddraver wrote:

There's a classy level of discussion of all things in the Metro :wink: (I actually have a soft spot for their strips, very funny they are, the one on the Fyra shambles was hilarious).

Anyway I think we were all caught a little off guard by yesterday's events, with both the forum being down and the stage itself. I had planned to use the first two climbs to craft a local knowledge waffle post, but there was no forum and the racing was just too nail-biting, so you are forgiven. :D

Honestly, I'd save the waffle post for the Spring Classics.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Macaloon
    edited July 2013

They got dropped as they lose their heads when a race is a race and not an elaborate training ride with a kick in the finale.

So it was a lack of mental capacity, nothing to do with their physical condition? They thought it would be a fun idea to let Froome control the final 125km, solo? Be serious.

Edit to ask what the hell does this mean if not institutional doping?

"I dislike Sky because they have changed the nature of racing for the worse in the last 2-3 years. Lessens my enjoyment of the sport until we get days like today. Also from an impartial view, many of their performances are just not believable for me. If other teams or riders did what they did over and over again I would say the same about them." http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12930855&start=160#p18420074
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Serious - he probably is.
    Rational - he certainly isn't, especially when it comes to Sky. :roll:
  • above_the_cows
    How's everyone's rest day going?

Are you all resting? I'm actually doing some work. It's a bit of a strange feeling if I'm honest. :?

And I now have a new band name courtesy of Macaloon: The Panache Stranglers. Now all I need is a band.

Oh ho ho, I see what you did there calvjones, very good. Where's my waffle car...

8aaab9fe-15b8-405a-81a4-6bd3b699b4a0_zpse899bc5e.jpg
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    On reflection I think the stage 9 problem was caused by saxo and movistar making it to the front in numbers. they cancelled each other out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:

So it was a lack of mental capacity, nothing to do with their physical condition? They thought it would be a fun idea to let Froome control the final 125km, solo? Be serious.

So WTF is your point here Maca? You are wasting my time making me read this.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

So WTF is your point here Maca? You are wasting my time making me read this.

One minute you're calling out Sky for "Unbelievable, ET" performances (see edit above), the next minute you claim not to be throwing doping accusations. And I'm wasting your time? :D

And my main point is that you should be consistent in using dominant performances as your yardstick for doping. I'd say Movi kicked Sky's ass all over the place yesterday. You claim it was a mental weakness alone? Are you Sanctifymas in disguise?
  • frenchfighter
    porte_zpsd5e561f2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    THat another crash just ended at 1700 BST (1600 GMT)
    Or me.??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    No, not just you Deejay, been about five crashes today.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    So many crashes, it's like the first week of the Tour.

P.s. I'm liking the Sky kit with the grey accents as opposed to the blue there Frenchie, although Titchy Richie is a bit scary as Sauron. Minus the logos I'd wear that kit, it would go with my bike.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Where's my waffle car...

8aaab9fe-15b8-405a-81a4-6bd3b699b4a0_zpse899bc5e.jpg
    I thought they were Belgian. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Macaloon
    "Latte art on the quantum foam"

Your cognition must be painfully dissonant. Along comes a rider exhibiting all of the characteristics you profess to hold dearest: attacking, brave (on & off bike), ballsy - and he rides for the uncoolest team in the peloton. By the second ascent of The Alpe you'll be a born again screaming Froomedog fanboy. That will be awful.
  • frenchfighter
    Still don`t see what you are trying to achieve posting drivel like that.

-

Ryder Hesjedal was the rider who took out Pete. Maybe he cant see properly with those stupid specs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    I really hope Hesjedal apologised to Pete. Outrageous move by him.
    20130707758_130992.jpg

45.jpg
    39.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    I think I saw a Hej tweet apologising.

Who are the two Garmin riders above?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I think Millar is the front rider. Not sure who is behind.
  • frenchfighter
    Ok cool DD. 2nd rider is Bauer.

Charly Wegelius ‏@wegelius 8 Jul
    How to sum up yesterday? Jack and David lighting up the race KM 0 risking blowing up and waving goodbye to entire race. Not a 2nd thought.

Read about it here: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12931020
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Ah cool, ta... I thought one was Bauer, but ruled out Millar as he usually rides with that thing over his nose...