TDF 2013 - Stage 5 *Spoilers*

Crankbrother
Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
edited July 2013 in Pro race
2nd longest stage of the race today, with a few bumps in the road along the way ...

10cbbcbf381098dfad04aec8f5fd0d63.jpg

The last 20km looks perfect for another Chavanel springboard and at only 1 sec off yellow he'll surely give it a go ... If for no other reason than to get someone else to pull Cav/OPQS to the final km's ...

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Poss delay to start. Many teams blocked in HUGE static traffic jam into Nice for start. Still measuring it. So far 15km. Local Bus crashed
  • Le Commentateur
    (That's Carlton's tweet, btw)
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    they could go round it on their bikes :-)
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Who do we fancy for today? A sprint stage n'est pas?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Looks like a cracking route. Cagnes-sur-Mer - that's by the sea. Marseilles heard of that so it's all good.
    Just needs *Spoilers* on the title for completeness.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    PROFIL.png

Billed as a sprint stage but I can't see it myself, surely someone will tear things up on the final climb?
  • RideOnTime
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm easily shocked!
  • TMR
    Oh nice Pete. Was just looking for the route profile. Not too bad. The sprinters should be able to hang on to that - nothing major.
  • TMR
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS

I'm easily shocked!

The other one needs to be deleted - I'll report it.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS

I'm easily shocked!

Gawd, this is NO way for you to start your day, is it :wink:
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Looks like a cracking route. Cagnes-sur-Mer - that's by the sea. Marseilles heard of that so it's all good.

I see a profile thats all.. has that spoiled something for you :?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Oh nice Pete. Was just looking for the route profile. Not too bad. The sprinters should be able to hang on to that - nothing major.
    This is the final, uncategorised climb. No big deal.

Col-de-la-Gineste_Cassis_profile.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    they could go round it on their bikes :-)

A new TdF Alleycat stage. Adam Hansen could have even slimmer bars.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The other thread was started first. I am overlooking who started it.

When spoiler threads are started, it would be a good idea to include the profile, the stage information and description of the finishing section.

PROFILKMS.png

Tough turn at the end may cause problems:
    tdf_Stage5_final4.JPG

Côte des Bastides crests 31km from the finish and is only 3.5% average and about 5.5km.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RideOnTime
    josame wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

I see a profile thats all.. has that spoiled something for you :?

Well it was early days and could see two trains going off the peleton.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Côte des Bastides crests 31km from the finish and is only 3.5% average and about 5.5km.

Hmm so it sounds like a sprint stage then, that second to last corner looks very tight.

Wake me up with 20K to go please
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    PROFIL.png

Billed as a sprint stage but I can't see it myself, surely someone will tear things up on the final climb?

The unclassified lump at the end is apparently not much of a lump at all according to the Inner Ring guide and the final 4th cat climb is 30km from the finish.
  • RideOnTime
    What does a Walrus have in common with a lover of tupperware...

They both like a tight seal.

Ok not that relevant I was just looking at that tricky 270 degree bend.
  • Le Commentateur
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS
    Danger - TWO THREADS

I'm easily shocked!

Gawd, this is NO way for you to start your day, is it :wink:
    Hilarious! OCD for breakfast. :lol:
  • RideOnTime
    I hoping for a good tight thread today.
    No holding on to passing vehicles.
    No slip-streaming all day and then just popping out in the last 10 metres with something controversial that could have been said earlier. and no changing blood as we approach the finish.
  • MrTapir
    PeteMadoc wrote:

Hmm so it sounds like a sprint stage then, that second to last corner looks very tight.

Wake me up with 20K to go please

Checked it on google maps and it looks like quite a wide sweeping corner, but it depends how they mark it out doesnt it i suppose.

http://goo.gl/maps/1MCaL
  • MrTapir
    RideOnTime wrote:
    No slip-streaming all day and then just popping out in the last 10 metres with something controversial that could have been said earlier. and no changing blood as we approach the finish.

And no posting huge great comments that dont fit, so that someone has to make a new thread and then everyone is confused as to which thread is the actual thread.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    RideOnTime wrote:

Are wine tips, scenery conversations, and "I've been there on holiday" allowed?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I am loving RideOnTime's contributions to these threads. Make me laugh every time.

- Hang on my keyboard is not parallel with the edge of the desk......

That's better. Yes so where was I? Sorry about the lack of 'ATC Duffers Waffle' on Nice yesterday. All I could think about was Nice biscuits and Nice's famous son Garibaldi, yes that most famous of Niçoise, famous for uniting, errr Italy and having a biscuit named after him - I was in a very biscuity mood yesterday.

I will try better today. I could cover the French naval presence along the route? Marseille's most famous headbutter - move over Mark Renshaw - زين الديـن زيـدان Zinedine Zidane...?

Tune in later for some totally useless information. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    oneof1982 wrote:

I sincerely hope so otherwise I might have to make like Ted King and climb into the broomwagon. :?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Le Commentateur
    Is following Twitter then posting here the equivalent of hanging on to a team car?

Mea culpa, then. We've all done it/will do it at some point. :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Modern day calanques along the Mediterranean Sea are steep-sided valleys that the Holocene (Flandrian) marine transgression (ddraver says -at the end of the most recent ice age, 10ka) partially submerged to form cliff-edged inlets. These valleys were either incised by rivers or created by cave collapse as karstic dry valleys when sea level was lower than present. (ddraver says - Karstic = erosion of limestone, commonly chemical that creates characteristic cracks joints, holes which may be enlarged into caves by river systems)

Along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, some of the valleys, which were flooded to form calanques, might date back to the Messinian salinity crisis between 5.96 to 5.32 million years ago. During this period of time, the Mediterranean Sea became isolated from the Atlantic Ocean and its sea level dropped at least 1,500 meters below the level of the Atlantic Ocean.[5][6] As a result not only did evaporites accumulated on the abyssal plains of the Mediterranean Sea, but also rivers flowing into it deepened their valleys by 100s of meters. For example, the Rhône River cut a canyon as deep as 576 meters into Cretaceous carbonate strata near its confluence with its tributary the Ardèche. ((ddraver says -limestone/dolomite - think the white cliffs of dover and other chalk hills in southern england - it's also the regional seal for much of the North Sea Oil and Gas systems)

Fluvial erosion by smaller streams and rivers created numerous other deep, steep-sided valleys in response to the greatly lowered sea level at this time.[7] Also at this time, steep-walled, dry karstic valleys were formed by the collapse of caves that developed in limestone, dolomite, and other carbonate rocks in response to the greatly lowered sea level of the Mediterranean Sea.[8] Later, during the Pleistocene (ddraver says -2.5Ma - 10ka, these valleys were further enlarged and modified by fluvial, karst, and other processes during interglacial drops of sea level within the 100 meter range. During these periods of interglacial low sea level, additional steep-sided valleys, which were later flooded to create calanques, along the Mediterranean coastline were formed by fluvial and karst processes.[9] Today, they can be seen as deep, narrow valleys that are partly submerged by the sea and are made up of limestone or granite.[4]

(ddraver says - Think the Norwegian Fjords (flooded glacial valley) or the Rias of South england, eg Salcombe (flooded river valleys) but made from limestone
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    oneof1982 wrote:

I sincerely hope so otherwise I might have to make like Ted King and climb into the broomwagon. :?

Yes, I'm not sure of the relevance though of 'oooh isn't this nice' I think I might go there next year. Needs to be tight at the back. No looseness round the bends.

Are we going to see lots more mountain runners today. Oh look there's some cyclists who've just ridden 100k+ at 40kph now I'm going to impressively run along and get in their way for 150m in my underpants/tight speedos/batman costume before passing out at the side of the road.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Reading that gave me a semi.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RideOnTime
    ddraver wrote:
    (ddraver says - Think the Norwegian Fjords (flooded glacial valley) or the Rias of South england, eg Salcombe (flooded river valleys) but made from limestone

Oh I love Salcombe...

Sorry, sorry...