TDF 2013 - Stage 5 *Spoilers*

18910111214»

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I'm really enjoying the chat.
    Not been able to follow during the day - due to spectacular bad planning I appear to be the only academic on the forum (and judging by yesterday's chat there seem to be at least 4 of us) who actually has to work in July.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Not been able to follow during the day - due to spectacular bad planning I appear to be the only academic on the forum (and judging by yesterday's chat there seem to be at least 4 of us) who actually has to work in July.

I'll have you know I marked two dissertations today! :wink: I'm working now too, I'm watching the coup in Egypt and wondering what this means for the edited volume I've got coming out. :? :shock:
    ddraver wrote:
    No cos a lot of those discussions were on Wine, Geology and gastronomy (not to mention a minor breakdown from me), not actual cycling...

The wine was yesterday ddraver, today was biscuits, gastronomy, geology and you figuring out how to work your office chair. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Turfle wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    Poor Ryder.

Anyone know what caused it? I saw Bouhanni go down first, but I haven't had a chance to watch a replay yet. Was he veering all over the place again?
    ITV pundits were blaming one of Cav's leadout men dropping back sloppily. They only showed it once so I couldn't really see if they had a point.

Having watched the ITV replay I'm still none the wiser. Trentin didn't seem to do much wrong in going back through the peloton, but I couldn't see if Bouhanni was at fault for hitting his back wheel. Maybe just one of those things.

Bouhanni appeared to be sprinting head down and rode into the back of Trentin as he dropped back through the bunch. Not Trentin's fault, he pulled over after his stint and Bouhanni wasn't paying enough attention.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Pross wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    Poor Ryder.

Anyone know what caused it? I saw Bouhanni go down first, but I haven't had a chance to watch a replay yet. Was he veering all over the place again?
    ITV pundits were blaming one of Cav's leadout men dropping back sloppily. They only showed it once so I couldn't really see if they had a point.

Having watched the ITV replay I'm still none the wiser. Trentin didn't seem to do much wrong in going back through the peloton, but I couldn't see if Bouhanni was at fault for hitting his back wheel. Maybe just one of those things.

Bouhanni appeared to be sprinting head down and rode into the back of Trentin as he dropped back through the bunch. Not Trentin's fault, he pulled over after his stint and Bouhanni wasn't paying enough attention.
    What is the protocol for a used up lead out man dropping back, if any? Someone going as slowly as Trentin was then is clearly something of an obstacle to those coming up fast behind. Is there any obligation on him to do anything at all to prevent causing a hindrance or is it something that those coming from behind need to be aware of and take avoiding action?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    Poor Ryder.

What is the protocol for a used up lead out man dropping back, if any? Someone going as slowly as Trentin was then is clearly something of an obstacle to those coming up fast behind. Is there any obligation on him to do anything at all to prevent causing a hindrance or is it something that those coming from behind need to be aware of and take avoiding action?

back in the day they would pull off hard to one side but in those days the number of trains was less... the just sit up and roll backwards [relatively] thing started bigtime in the mid 90's....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Sure i heard Kirby mention that Bouhanni had the shits during the stage and wasnt going to be contesting the sprint in any case.
    DeadCalm wrote:

Basically hold the line, dont veer across other riders and dont brake. Peeling off and going to one side is ok too so long as its not a dangerous or done to block other riders. Trentin didnt do anything wrong from what i could see in the replay.

Although it looked at one stage (after the final bend) that one of the Lotto riders was being a bit cheeky going in front of Steegmans late on trying to disrupt the leadout but its hard to tell with the camera angle how close he actually was.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Although it looked at one stage (after the final bend) that one of the Lotto riders was being a bit cheeky going in front of Steegmans late on trying to disrupt the leadout but its hard to tell with the camera angle how close he actually was.
    That was Henderson. I think he thought Greipel was on his wheel. He looked a bit surprised when he looked round and didn't see him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Bravo Cav!

Modern cycling is all about drafting and delivering people: it is inevitably about teams bunching as they all place people with 300 to go so crashes will become more common, not less so. Now either you limit the size of a lead out train in the last 800 or you widen the finish or you go back to the original rules - no drafting!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Modern cycling is all about drafting and delivering people: it is inevitably about teams bunching as they all place people with 300 to go so crashes will become more common, not less so. Now either you limit the size of a lead out train in the last 800 or you widen the finish or you go back to the original rules - no drafting!
    When was that?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Interesting angle:
    CORVOS_00021618-064.jpg

ps. a Euskaltel rider got 7th on that stage. Good going : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    University Administrator here - you know, the guys who do all the work and make sure stuff actually happens ;) :P
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mpdahxDvV01qh2ly7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpdihzFDw41sxv10wo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mpdihzFDw41sxv10wo2_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^^Top of page - Finding a a Cofidis rider in a photo is a bit like playing 'Where's Wally'
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    University Administrator here - you know, the guys who do all the work and make sure stuff actually happens ;) :P

Maybe I can send you my 8 unit reports someone has just told me need redoing because they are on last year's template - that they sent me. :evil:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    tumblr_mpdahxDvV01qh2ly7o1_1280.jpg
    Nice pastiche. Love it.
  • graeme_s-2
    I was hoping for some photos of Greipel, Sagan and Cav all sprinting flat out just before they hit the line. Anybody seen any?
  • frenchfighter
    CORVOS_00021618-104-2.jpg
    http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp- ... -104-2.jpg

Check out the series of photos here where they gradually get closer. I liked that a lot.
    http://www.steephill.tv/2013/tour-de-fr ... /stage-05/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    They're great, thanks FF. I like the first shot in the series of 3 where Cav is looking straight at the camera (finish line) and virtually every other sprinter is looking at their front wheel
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Bravo Cav!

WTF are you talking about?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Cillian Kelly ‏@irishpeloton 3 Jul
    .@MarkCavendish joins an elite group of riders who have won a Tour stage six years in a row. Frantz, Leducq, Indurain, Darrigade & Hushovd

ITV4 go stat-tastic!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Re the earlier discussion on Sagan speed v Cav.

It would be interesting to see a sprint for the finish line under the same conditions as the sprint for the intermediate points. i.e. leaving the business end down to the 10 or so sprinters and everyone else sitting up with a km to go.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 3 Jul
    Stage 5 finished,228 km of those boring for TV but that we live them with nervous and tension, at 190 bpm
    Contador is the Greatest