London Ride 100

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    ShandyH wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:
    I'm 6:16. Wrath Rob, I'll expect to see you come past after about mile 1. I'm fully intending on drafting some poor bugger's wheel for the entire 100 miles. It could be you!
    Damn, that was my idea. A sprint to close the 3 min gap and then sit in for 95 miles....

I'll try to convince JZed it's in his interests to wait for both of us and drag us both around for 5 hours (ish). It might cost us beer.

Join the que. If its anything like Marmotte and the Maurienne Valley, I'll have a 150 rides trailed out taking shelter behind me. The usual "Oh look, big bloke, lets all sit behind him". I'll slow down, they'll all slow down, I'll speed up, they'll all speed up. This year I am having a saddle bag full of tacks. Left slighly open. :twisted:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Your all welcome to wait for me. I cut a big hole in the air. I could use the company and encouragement. I'm starting 7.20, I think, I put down 7.5hrs to complete it. Right now I'm worried about making it inside the 9hr cut off :oops: not sure what happens then, do I get kicked off route.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    edited July 2013
    Sketchley wrote:
    Your all welcome to wait for me. I cut a big hole in the air. I could use the company and encouragement. I'm starting 7.20, I think, I put down 7.5hrs to complete it. Right now I'm worried about making it inside the 9hr cut off :oops: not sure what happens then, do I get kicked off route.

You'll be fine - just ride steady and treat feedstations as pit stops, not rest stops.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Sketchley wrote:

You'll be fine - just ride steady and don't treat feedstations as pit stops, not rest stops.

This, Sunday did 121 miles moving time was 9hrs first 70hrs was at a fairly sedate pace, and at stops we stopped for 30mins or so...

On way back I just grabbed drink/food as and when and halfed the time with ease, and I'm not superfit by any margin!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    and I'm not superfit by any margin!

hah, you could likely do the dakar rally on a brompton
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    Sketchley wrote:

Worst come to worst they have points where they will send you off on a shorter route, so I'm told.

I'm going to be staying in Motspur Park on Saturday night, anyone local fancy coming out for a recee of the hills with me on Sunday?
  • sketchley
    You are round the corner from my house. Unfortunately can't make Sunday
    --
    Chris

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Maybe he filled in a realistic completion time on the entry form? ;) In other related matters, they've totally failed to ensure team-members set off together for the team event making it a bit of a joke.

Yep. Same here. Team of 6, all spread out. Earliest start time is 6:20am and last is me at 7:56am. It's a massive shame and definatley makes it less attractive now. It's ALOT of effort to ride around on my tod for a morning.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Still no start time. :(
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Peat wrote:
    Maybe he filled in a realistic completion time on the entry form? ;) In other related matters, they've totally failed to ensure team-members set off together for the team event making it a bit of a joke.

Yep. Same here. Team of 6, all spread out. Earliest start time is 6:20am and last is me at 7:56am. It's a massive shame and definatley makes it less attractive now. It's ALOT of effort to ride around on my tod for a morning.

You won't be on your tod, there'll be 19,995 other people for you to ride with. Mind you, that's a pretty late start time. If you don't get a shift on you may end up as Lantern Rouge.

Although I do get how frustrating this must be for those who'd planned to ride with friends. I can see how big groups (not as few as 6, admittedly) going at the same pace might be a nuisance to other riders.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I shall have plenty of opportunity to practice my overtaking, free of politics, i guess. I should hope there would be no danger of being 'swept', but at that start time, all it will take will be one puncture/mechanical to put me perilously on the back foot.
  • cyclingprop
    Peat wrote:
    I shall have plenty of opportunity to practice my overtaking, free of politics, i guess. I should hope there would be no danger of being 'swept', but at that start time, all it will take will be one puncture/mechanical to put me perilously on the back foot.

Should be ok as closed roads should eliminate *any* need to ride in the gutter. Just be careful for other riders, and be aware they they probably won't pay you the same respect. Nodder rules apply.
  • jonny_trousers
    Anyone got a fun route that includes Leith Hill that's accessible from a station that connects with Clapham Junction?
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    See my message above re sunday
  • cyclingprop
    Anyone got a fun route that includes Leith Hill that's accessible from a station that connects with Clapham Junction?

Just ride there and back?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918

Its really not that far to do this, head out via Kingston
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • If you still haven't got your start time, I just called them and they'll tell you over the phone. I checked and all start times have been sent out.

The other half starts 9 minutes after me, which isn't too bad.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sketchley wrote:
    So only a month and three days to go. I am not ready but I have start time 7.20am!

I'm starting two minutes in front of you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Alternatively, get a train to Dorking (leaves from Victoria via CJ) Out of Dorking to the foot of Box Hill, up and over, then back down via Lodgebottom Rd, back downto Dorking, through and out via Coldharbour Lane. Follow that all the way up to the top of Leith Hill, come round the back of the hill and descend via Leith Hill Rd. Left at Abinger Common, left again onto Sutton Lane to Sutton Abinger, then right onto Raikes Lane. Straight over at the A25, and up and over Whitedown. Left onto Crocknorth Rd and down to the A246; left, then round the sharp bend, and turn off right at the petrol station. Then head north through East Horsley, Effingham Junction, over the M25 to Cobham. Turn right onto the A245 and follow this through to Stoke D'Abernon, where the station is down a side road on the right.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonny_trousers
    rjsterry wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Alternatively, get a train to Dorking (leaves from Victoria via CJ) Out of Dorking to the foot of Box Hill, up and over, then back down via Lodgebottom Rd, back downto Dorking, through and out via Coldharbour Lane. Follow that all the way up to the top of Leith Hill, come round the back of the hill and descend via Leith Hill Rd. Left at Abinger Common, left again onto Sutton Lane to Sutton Abinger, then right onto Raikes Lane. Straight over at the A25, and up and over Whitedown. Left onto Crocknorth Rd and down to the A246; left, then round the sharp bend, and turn off right at the petrol station. Then head north through East Horsley, Effingham Junction, over the M25 to Cobham. Turn right onto the A245 and follow this through to Stoke D'Abernon, where the station is down a side road on the right.

Fantastic! Thank you!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Ps, there's a coffee shop/bakery on the approach to Stoke D station, called The Patisserie which is not as posh as it sounds, and just the job to grab a bun and a coffee for the train home.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonny_trousers
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ps, there's a coffee shop/bakery on the approach to Stoke D station, called The Patisserie which is not as posh as it sounds, and just the job to grab a bun and a coffee for the train home.

It just gets better. That's my Friday sorted, then. Thanks again!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I've got a 6:25am start, just starting to think about logisitics.

Could drive down to my Dad's house in Barking and park there...6 mile to Stratford...but then a 12 mile ride back from the finish :-(

I need to get back to Billericay...am I correct in thinking trying to get a train back would be a waste of time?
  • I've got a 6:25am start, just starting to think about logisitics.

Could drive down to my Dad's house in Barking and park there...6 mile to Stratford...but then a 12 mile ride back from the finish :-(

I need to get back to Billericay...am I correct in thinking trying to get a train back would be a waste of time?

We have a 6 mile ride there. Trains should be taking cycles, unless massively overcrowded, but check with the network provider. Greater Anglia heads out that way.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ive got a 10mile ride there, and then a 10mile ride home from the finish
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'll be 10 miles there, 10 miles back (give or take a few miles - haven't really checked). No worries - 100 miles is for pansies! Hoping to catch some of the pro race in the afternoon so may find a nice spot and rest up a bit before the ride home.
  • cyclingprop
    6 miles there and 3.5 miles home. And mates and a pint waiting at the finish.
  • sketchley
    Asprilla wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    So only a month and three days to go. I am not ready but I have start time 7.20am!

I'm starting two minutes in front of you.

Ah just checked, load time is 7.20, start time is 7.56. Considering the 9 hour time limit thats back to the mall by 4.56pm. What time it the pro race due to finish, maybe I could delay my arrival and join the sprint!
    --
    Chris

• sketchley
    Anyone up for a ride on Saturday morning, 8am ish maybe earlier if people up for it, give me a shout. Meet at Worcester Park station or somewhere nearby and we can head out from there. Aiming for 50 miles Leith Hill and Box Hill included. Maybe a lunch stop. It will not be a quick ride.
    --
    Chris

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I've got a late start time too and a previous post made me worried about being Lanterne Rouge. I'm sure I put 7.5-8 on my entry form so not sure why I got such a late time. I've really no idea how long it will take me.

I did a 60 mile ride on Sunday and didn't push it too hard and I averaged 17mph - felt fine afterwards too - this included Coldharbour, Leith and Box Hill - from that does anyone have any guesstimates how long I'll take? I was still thinking 7.5 hours
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer