https://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts ... atch=10332
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    11 of the buggers, some duplicates though. Two crossing the line, the okay one is where its yeah finished, the 2nd is oh fuck there are two big plastic things better get hands on the bar pronto :D Nice that some have my brother I was riding with too in them, drafting bugger.
    https://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts ... &bib=27131
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    The photos are still being identified - so more to come (35 of me so far). Could take a while yet!

Look to be some gooduns, so I guess I will just buy the lot - we have so few photos of us actually riding the tandem.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So, to summarise. 50 page thread for a crap, flat, soggy ride full of nodders? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rolf F wrote:
    So, to summarise. 50 page thread for a crap, flat, soggy ride full of nodders? :lol:

I really enjoyed. Again.

Full Pro Kit W*nkers description of it as the Annual London Chopper Festival is pretty accurate though.

Maybe that's why I enjoy it. Bugger.

Edit; I need to go for a new fitting as I look a right nodder in pictures. All those shop window reflections in which I look a sleek poised athlete have been lying to me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    leeefm wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    leeefm wrote:
    To cap it all off the rain appears to have killed my Garmin 800 :( Won't connect over USB, giving the 'XM Receiver Not Supported' error, indicative it seems of rain damage. It'd been drying out since Sunday so looks fatal. Tried cleaning the contacts but still no joy. Will try to get it fixed by Garmin despite it being more than a year old as it seems a common issue.

Try putting it in a sealed container with some rice in it. If there is any moisture left in it, the rice will suck it out. It might not fix it, but worth a try at least.
    they're pretty tightly-packed, I doubt you'll fit any rice in without damaging circuit-board, battery etc
    I assume he means putting the complete Garmin in a sealed box with some rice.
    A warm room or airing cupboard helps too.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The rice will suck the moisture out of the air, a bit like silica gel does; hence the sealed container. Hopefully that will mop up any remnants of moisture from the device, but - as before - it might be too late.

My 800 has been playing up a lot lately. I got to the point where no amount of drying in the airing cupboard/ on top of the central heating boiler etc would work. So I squirted a small amount of WD40 into the USB socket and inserted/removed an unconnected USB lead repeatedly (hold the Garmin face down on a flat surface and push the cable into it).

It worked immediately after doing this. I concluded that repeated dampness had corroded the USB connector pins and the combo of WD40 and the friction from repeated insertion (no sniggering at the back!) cleaned them up. It's been working fine ever since.

I did email Garmin before fixing it and their response was to return it and they would replace with a repaired unit for £74.40.

I have since purchased an Edge 1000 - it was in the Kinoko closing down sale at a price I couldn't resist.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    A friend has drowned his 800 loads of times and it always recovers.

My 800 was also having connection issues (plugging it into the computer would turn it on but it would be recognised by the Mac. I did the same repeated USB connection/disconnection to clean the contacts - it's been fine since (no WD40)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • elbowloh wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    pictures up
    the 4th? It's not actually me.

One of mine is a tall bearded bloke... which I'm definitely none of. :roll:

And is it just me or do prices seem dearer than last year? Or do they reduce some time afterwards? I was looking at a pal's pic the other week and I'm sure the digital download was 'only' £24.99 rather than north of £35
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2014
    mpdouglas wrote:
    My 800 has been playing up a lot lately. I got to the point where no amount of drying in the airing cupboard/ on top of the central heating boiler etc would work. So I squirted a small amount of WD40 into the USB socket and inserted/removed an unconnected USB lead repeatedly (hold the Garmin face down on a flat surface and push the cable into it).

Update: after yet more cleaning (must've gone through half a can of contact cleaner and probably half an hour of shoving various concoctions such as pencil erasers into the usb port) and drying it's now connecting again. I'd already tried a factory reset so sadly (or probably fortunately given how it went) my ride from Sunday is gone.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My rear hub appears to have drowned along with all the garmins

its either that or the disc has gone out of true, i'll need a proper look at it over the weekend and fit some new rear pads at the very least.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    mpdouglas wrote:

Update: after yet more cleaning (must've gone through half a can of contact cleaner and probably half an hour of shoving various concoctions such as pencil erasers into the usb port) and drying it's now connecting again. I'd already tried a factory reset so sadly (or probably fortunately given how it went) my ride from Sunday is gone.

Excellent news! Shame about the ride though :( I wonder if having one of those silicone cases would help in wet weather?
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Edit; I need to go for a new fitting as I look a right nodder in pictures. All those shop window reflections in which I look a sleek poised athlete have been lying to me.

Use the Design Centre mirrors at Chelsea Harbour they are very flattering.

Is it me or are the pics with timings a bit winky?? I am thinking of just paying for download of the pics and thoughts from last year
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    My phone died in the rain on Sunday. Have managed to get it working again, but Strava only recorded the first 24 miles of Flood London. Was thinking about investing in a Garmin instead, but now I see that they're not much better, I'm not sure what to do. Might go for one of those Sony Xperias when my contract is up, as they seem to be the best of all worlds: a proper Android phone, and fully waterproof.

That said, It would be nice to have something that has decent navigation on it. If only you could get a proper Garmin app (with offline maps) for a waterproof phone that has decent battery life....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Rhodrich wrote:
    My phone died in the rain on Sunday. Have managed to get it working again, but Strava only recorded the first 24 miles of Flood London. Was thinking about investing in a Garmin instead, but now I see that they're not much better, I'm not sure what to do. Might go for one of those Sony Xperias when my contract is up, as they seem to be the best of all worlds: a proper Android phone, and fully waterproof.

That said, It would be nice to have something that has decent navigation on it. If only you could get a proper Garmin app (with offline maps) for a waterproof phone that has decent battery life....

Not so matey, the garmin 800 especially as you can read above is indeed rugged and waterproof with very few actual issues with it. THe G1000 still has buckets of bugs by all accounts and will be more expensive. Go get one.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    mpdouglas wrote:

If you need the miles for your aggregation-log, download someone else's similar ride from Strava and re-upload it as your own. I know of a few people who've had to do that. (apols if grandmothers ... eggs etc)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • keyser__soze
    Rhodrich wrote:

OsmAnd? Experimented with it before getting a Garmin and it appears to be much more user-friendly now.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    leeefm wrote:
    I wonder if having one of those silicone cases would help in wet weather?

I bought the silicone case for my 800 when it was new, it certainly keeps the wet out of the switch area which is not a bad thing. In over 2 years its worked perfectly.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keyser__soze
    rower63 wrote:
    If you need the miles for your aggregation-log...

It wasn't so much that, more to try to work out how less crap I was (if at all) once punctures/crashes were taken out of the equation.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I ran my eTrex throughout Sunday and it is fine. Which doesn't sounds like much, except this particular unit has been driven over by cars three times, so the fact that it's still watertight is a big plus IMO.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Also, ballot for the next one opens on Monday
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Have just entered the ballot for next year. Fingers crossed!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • dhope
    Rhodrich wrote:

Signing up now - question on the donating...

If I donate and don't get a place then, fine, I've donated £58.
    If I then get a place with my local club, do I need to pay again (i.e. £116 overall) or does the unsuccessful entry become a successful one?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    dhope wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

If I then get a place with my local club, do I need to pay again (i.e. £116 overall) or does the unsuccessful entry become a successful one?

The first scenario. All entries are considered individually AFAIK.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Are entries 'considered', or are names simply drawn out of a hat?
  • dhope
    Asprilla wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

Yep, I just phoned them up to check.
    Can donate £58, not get a place, then if you get a place with a club then you pay a second £58 for it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I wasnt going to enter for 2015, I was going to put all my eggs in the Vattenrunden basket.... but i want to do something for Charity. So i am in.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    dhope wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Rhodrich wrote:

Yep, I just phoned them up to check.
    Can donate £58, not get a place, then if you get a place with a club then you pay a second £58 for it.

But: if you aren't against potentially riding for charity, some will buy back your charity place if you're successful in the ballot.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Entered. Wonder if I'll get a hat-trick of rejections :roll:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Well I've entered, but I should have a place carried over from this year, which I find out about in October. So I didn't donate this time. I did last year and have to pay again for the carried over place anyway. Please note the ballot closes once they have 100k entries which I don't think will take very long.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5