2013 National Championships thread (spoilerific)

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Does help that I had the last 65kms on tv. :):wink:
    De Marchi showed guts again.
    Dropped every time Scarponi tried to lose his competition;
    clawed his way back on and each time tried to attack.

When Santaromita attacked, he was able to get a bigger gap,
    which they found harder to close and on his final strike, they
    couldn't quite close him down.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    I do like what I've seen of De Marchi...

Lucinda Brand wins National Championships Netherlands (Women). Vos was second and another Rabo rider third giving them a clean sweep of the podium.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Vos got beaten. That is big news.

WORRACK Trixi takes the women's German RR.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Watch the Italian RR here:
    http://www.cyclingfever.com/stage.html? ... &_ap=video
    Fantastic finale. Shame de Marchi couldn't take the win.
    Age of the podium is over 100!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    By her own teammate though. I doubt she was trying to hard to win, especially as she can't wear the jersey anyway.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    Watch the Italian RR here:
    http://www.cyclingfever.com/stage.html? ... &_ap=video
    Fantastic finale. Shame de Marchi couldn't take the win.
    Age of the podium is over 100!
    Thanks for the link. A cracking finale and a real shame De Marchi couldn't win it but once again showing real fighting spirit.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    RichN95 wrote:
    By her own teammate though. I doubt she was trying to hard to win, especially as she can't wear the jersey anyway.

Do you seriously think someone like Vos, a women who gobbles up every win she can get a la Merckx, would not try to win, even if she wouldn't wear the jersey?
  • DeadCalm
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Do you seriously think someone like Vos, a women who gobbles up every win she can get a la Merckx, would not try to win, even if she wouldn't wear the jersey?
    So you seriously think that Vos would chase down an attack by her own team mate whilst in a group containing riders from other teams?
  • RichN95.
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes. She's not going to chase down her own teammate. The video shows that she seems to have spent most of the time helping her other teammate onto the podium.

http://www.nos.nl/artikel/521313-brand-soleert-naar-goud-op-de-weg.html
  • Rundfahrt
    RichN95 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes. She's not going to chase down her own teammate. The video shows that she seems to have spent most of the time helping her other teammate onto the podium.

http://www.nos.nl/artikel/521313-brand-soleert-naar-goud-op-de-weg.html

Perhaps that information would have been useful when you made your initial comments about Vos. Helping a teammate or even having a teammate in a break and not chasing is a lot different then "not trying to hard to win." I am sure you can admit that much.
  • RichN95.
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Perhaps that information would have been useful when you made your initial comments about Vos. Helping a teammate or even having a teammate in a break and not chasing is a lot different then "not trying to hard to win." I am sure you can admit that much.
    Ok. Next time I'll point out the bleeding obvious in words of one syllable so you can understand better.
  • DeadCalm
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Ok. Next time I'll point out the bleeding obvious in words of one syllable so you can understand better.

Do you actually think that writing "I doubt she was trying too hard to win" makes it "bleeding obvious" what occurred in the race?

I realize you have some sort of personal issue with me since I did not toe the line and drool all over Wiggo last July, but don't announce to everyone what a muppet you are in order to push that issue.

I'm done as it is clear you just want to argue.
    In fairness, given that you clearly had no idea what happened in the race, your original comment could be seen as argumentative.

Incidentally, for those interested, the podium is an exact reverse of the podium from last year.
  • Rundfahrt
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

Do you actually think that writing "I doubt she was trying too hard to win" makes it "bleeding obvious" what occurred in the race?

I realize you have some sort of personal issue with me since I did not toe the line and drool all over Wiggo last July, but don't announce to everyone what a muppet you are in order to push that issue.

In fairness, given that you clearly had no idea what happened in the race, your original comment could be seen as argumentative.

Incidentally, for those interested, the podium is an exact reverse of the podium from last year.

What you are saying is that I was being argumentative because I was using the information presented here and responded to that information with something logical? Hmmmmmmmm.
  • DeadCalm
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:

What you are saying is that I was being argumentative because I was using the information presented here and responded to that information with something logical? Hmmmmmmmm.
    Is that what I'm saying? Hmmmm, let me read it back. Nope, that's not what I'm saying.

Whatever I was saying, I'll now say this. Your initial sarcastic, know-it-all response was patronising. The fact that you are now blaming the people you tried to patronise for not providing you with all the facts is frankly ridiculous.
  • Rundfahrt
    I patronized nobody, I simply made logical comments based on the information presented. You can spin it how you want, but that is the facts.
  • DeadCalm
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    I patronized nobody, I simply made logical comments based on the information presented. You can spin it how you want, but that is the facts.
    If you don't want to come across as patronising maybe you should reconsider starting your sentences with 'Do you really think'. Just a thought.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Guys, the thread's been locked once already. Let's knock this one on the head and get back to the topic, eh?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm
    Guys, the thread's been locked once already. Let's knock this one on the head and get back to the topic, eh?
    Fair enough. Apologies.
  • Rundfahrt
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    If you don't want to come across as patronising maybe you should reconsider starting your sentences with 'Do you really think'. Just a thought.

I will take that advice and perhaps you can take the advice to stick to not dance around what doesn't suit your argument. You know, like when you first posted about my original argument and then, when items pointed out that it was based on logic from the info presented here, you have suddenly changed to talking about another post. You could also take the advice of not doing what you complain about others doing...like when you complain about others being argumentative and patronizing and then make a post that is both of those.

Now, we can take each others advice and move on to discussing which national champions are currently scheduled to ride the Tour.
  • Rundfahrt
    Very nice, thanks for that link
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    Zach Bell (Champion System - How many National Champs is that?) wins the Canadian Road Race ahead of Ryan Anderson
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Still only four.

Arashiro cruised through to the Japanese title. Broke away with Doi, Nishitani, Nakajima and one other before riding away from them.

ETA- down to three as Jung Jimin wins the Korean road race.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    New record for Robert Gesink.
    Crashes after just 400 metres! :oops:

http://nos.nl/video/521473-gesink-valt- ... se-nk.html
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Gerard Cromwell ‏@irishcycling 2m
    Deignan, Brammeier and Lavery with half a minute after 3 Laps @ Irish national champs.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The British women's race sounds like a good one. Lots and lots of attacking, left now with a front group of:
    Armitstead, Emma Trott, Laura Trott, and Dani King,
    with Amy Roberts, Sharon Law, and Claire Thomas about 50 seconds behind
    - and about to be joined by a couple of others.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozon ... vrouwen_7D
    Liesbet de Vocht wins Belgian women's title, suggesting it's less a climbers parcours than thought. Still, most pundits are tipping Meersman or otherwise Montfort or Gilbert for the title this afternoon.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Brit Women, two laps 2 go:
    The front 4 have 2'35 over the chase group, which now includes Rowsell, Barker, and others.

Interesting dynamics in the front 4. Two Wiggle, two Boels-Dolmans, and a Trott on each team.
  • frenchfighter
    DeadCalm wrote:

Thanks. Rujano won the Venezuelan TT!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks for the link Art. I really wish Scarponi had won. What a leech that Rebellin is.
    New record for Robert Gesink.
    Crashes after just 400 metres! :oops:

http://nos.nl/video/521473-gesink-valt- ... se-nk.html

Lol, you have to feel for this guy!
    Contador is the Greatest