2013 National Championships thread (spoilerific)

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited June 2013 in Pro race
The Tour de Suisse may as well not be happening as far as I'm concerned, so the next best thing is the national championships. I thought I would start this thread to keep track of who wins what.

The Americans had theirs last month with Fast Freddie Fred Rodriguez winning the men's road race at the grand old age of 64. And yes that is his full name. Some other guy won the TT, I guess.

So who do you reckon is going to win the major titles? And which country has the swankiest jersey? After the Estonian one, obviously.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Roche and Martin set to miss the Irish Nationals......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Deignan then? Was in good form in California.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454

Is Brammeier riding? He might fancy a 4th consecutive win.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    gpreeves wrote:

Forgot about him, not seen much of him this year (not even sure who he's riding for now). Depends on the course I guess, Brammeier if it's flat, Deignan if there are hills maybe?

For the Brits I reckon it has to be Kennaugh's turn.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves wrote:

Forgot about him, not seen much of him this year (not even sure who he's riding for now). Depends on the course I guess, Brammeier if it's flat, Deignan if there are hills maybe?

He's at Champion System now, not heard much of him this year though. Has anybody got a link to the Irish Nationals course details/profile?

Certainly wouldn't bet against little Pete for the Brits.
  • tailwindhome
    gpreeves wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:

He's at Champion System now, not heard much of him this year though. Has anybody got a link to the Irish Nationals course details/profile?

http://www.carlingfordandmourne.com/eve ... mpionships

5 national champions at champion systems apparently.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Regarding the GB race, of the non-Sky Brits I think it suits Andy Fenn particularly well. Dowsett, Cummings and Blythe I'm assuming won't race until then. Scott Thwaites maybe if he has a good week at Ster ZLM Toer, the course should suit him I think. Kennaugh, Stannard, and G should all be flying by that point, and it would be tough to bet against them.

The Italian course looks like a nice one.
    Altimetriastrada.jpg
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    gpreeves wrote:
    gpreeves wrote:

http://www.carlingfordandmourne.com/eve ... mpionships

Only four now, Ryota Nishizono lost the Japanese TT title by a second.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Belgian one is very hilly this year http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cn ... 130610_047
    Something for Gilbert, Montfort, De Gendt. Not Seeldraayers looking at his recent Dauphine tactical skills....
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Looks pretty perfect for Gilbert but he's having a really poor year. I'd quite like to see De Gendt in the Belgian national colours.

Anyone know what the French course is like?
  • tailwindhome
    Only four now, Ryota Nishizono lost the Japanese TT title by a second.

and Le Anorak Jaune goes to...... :wink:
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    I resent that. I'm brown, not yellow ;)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Cav's doing the road race - full entry list about to be announced
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Ned Boulting ‏@nedboulting 11m
    Breaking: Cavendish will ride the National Road Race Championships. we're showing all the action (men's/women's/TT) on ITV4 Mon 24th at 7pm
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-Quick Step) and Lizzie Armitstead (Boels-Dolmans) will be the headliners at the Great Britain national championships in Glasgow, Scotland, on June 23rd, as the British peloton gets a preview of a course that may be used in the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Milton50 wrote:

http://www.france-2013.fr/Le-championna ... 0-0-0.html

Back in Brittany this year - another chance for Chavanel?
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Can't really see past Dowsett for British TT title. For once GB is inline with the rest of the world and holding both road and TT races at the same event, in the same month. Highlights ITV 4 week today I believe.

If the non-Sky pro Tour riders get it together there is more than enough fire power to cancel out the Sky domination (as per last few years). But now that Cav is riding I doubt very much that they will to want to keep it together. s BMC (with 2) might be able to contest and break up Sky.

However, if there is any justice it should be Little Pete's turn this year.

Spare a thought for all the mechanics and kit manufacturers who will have to burn the midnight oil rebadging frames and wheels, printing and making new clothing etc all in time for the lap of France.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Best of luck to Little Pete.

A few Manxies also making up the numbers in the TT as well.

I'm quite looking forward to this, hopefully if cycling popularity in GB continues to rise it might get some live showing in years to come.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    How does the British National RR work? :?:

Brits only, organised into their pro team?

I saw Cav had entered, but there was only one other OPQS rider with him. Surely that makes it disproportionately harder for him than someone from say, Sky (yes, I know its Cav but still)?
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Yes, Brits only. Yes organised by their trade teams. For the purposes of this race some teams will be fielding only one or two riders, so yes in theory much harder for them than a team with four or more riders. Expect gentlemanly agreements to be made to 'work together'. Whilst not strictly within the rules, these 'agreements on the road' are part of the tradition of road racing. So you could have OPQ and BMC joining forces to make a break.

In reality no-one would really want to help a team, no matter how small, with a rider of Cav's quality on it. So, if it was a horse race type event you'd expect Cav to do well, in a race like this, and with the team dynamics at play too, the odds will be very firmly against him.

Don't be surprised if there is a Sky heavy podium
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    hommelbier wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

http://www.france-2013.fr/Le-championna ... 0-0-0.html

Back in Brittany this year - another chance for Chavanel?

It will be tough for Chavanel. He'll only have one team mate (Pineau) whereas the French pro-tour and pro-continental teams all have serious numbers riding. Personally I'd be chuffed if Bardet were to take it although my fantasy result is a glorious victory for Johan Le Bon.

Got a sneaky feeling for Tommy V though.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Drove along part of the course today. Still full of pot holes - Wont hold my breath on Glasgow city council filling them in. all it needs now is for it to rain.....Oh those Holy church of scotland goers are up in arms about not getting to church on sunday as it will be barriered off....aint these people very nice godly creatures. I suppose its beyond all reasoning to have your church service later that night or on the saturday, am sure god would not hold it against them :roll:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Drove along part of the course today. Still full of pot holes - Wont hold my breath on Glasgow city council filling them in. all it needs now is for it to rain.....Oh those Holy church of scotland goers are up in arms about not getting to church on sunday as it will be barriered off....aint these people very nice godly creatures. I suppose its beyond all reasoning to have your church service later that night or on the saturday, am sure god would not hold it against them :roll:
    If it rains it's going to be nasty I would think, quite apart from all the potholes there are loads of manhole covers and drain covers and other metal bits in the road that will be very slippy in wet conditions.
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Graeme Obree says, at about 21:00 in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02x5z5s
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

It's the Wee Frees who are up in arms. Their reason... On the sabbath they CHOOSE not use public transport and they be unable to get parking right outside their Kirk.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ... whereas the French pro-tour and pro-continental teams all have serious numbers riding.

Will be travelling back through France (from Germany) on Sunday so hope we will be checked in time to catch the French championship on FR3.

The size of the trade teams - FDJ 24/Saur Sojasun 22/Europcar 20 etc. makes the 6 or so riders for Sky in the British championships pale into insignificance. How does the team plan tactics with so many riders?
  • gpreeves
    Westra just won the Dutch TT Championships (via @TourDeJose on Twitter)

"Dutch time trial championships:

1. Westra (VCD)
    2. Terpstra (OPQ)
    3. Dumoulin (ARG)

Ellen van Dijk wins title in women’s TT"
  • tailwindhome
    Peloton Watch ‏@PelotonWatch 41m
    Swiss National TT Championships - 1 Cancellara, 2 Elmiger & 3 Hollenstein
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kazak ITT
    MIZOUROV, DYACHENKO, FOMINYKH

There are a ton of other ITTs today including France, Uk and Ire.
    Contador is the Greatest