2013 National Championships thread (spoilerific)

Comments

• stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    Any TT results from Denmark yet?
    Brian Vandborg:Cannondale.
    Alex Rasmussen 4th.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    afx237vi wrote:
    Roswell takes the women ITT ahead of Armitstead.

Now that's what you call an extraterrestrial performance.
    It took me far too long to get the joke there :P
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Good crowd at Stewarton today. Didn't hang around for podium so not 100% sure of times
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    edited June 2013
    Took a run over to stewarton myself nice wee turnout. Took the liberty of watching the sky boys warming up they dont have a nice easy workout thats for sure.

Not the best of pic but here is lowe and dowsett of movistar warming up side by side

sky1.jpg

Dowsett about to go.

sky3.jpg
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Dowsett wins by approx 20 seconds
    Botterill 2nd
    Swift 3rd - only 24 hundredths of a second separated 2nd & 3rd.

Fantastic day at Stewarton, sun shone all afternoon, thankfully high level clouds came over in the evening.

Excellent course that even the pro riders said was hard work, well over half the riders throwing up after crossing the line.

Considering it was a mid week event the crowds were much busier than hoped for (somewhere close to 1,000 at start / finish area) - plus they were good noisy crowds.

Riders stated that every 500m or so and at every junction there were pockets of spectators cheering them on. The middle of the mens course even had several large BBQs and pop up pubs / sound systems thanks to several local cycling clubs (fullerton / Dooleys / Johnstone).

Really looking forward to Sunday now.

Story of the day belongs to Shane Childs from Royal Navy...

Just before start he has a problem with his time trial bike and borrows someone else's. Powers his way round the course only to puncture. Thankfully near a group cyclists who he asks to borrow a wheel. One guy says yes, sadly he can't release wheel quickly (think it was locked) so other guy offers his road bike. Childs compltes course on road bike. Aimed for 1 hr 5min, got 1 hr 8min so he's happy enough, but has to cycle back to far end of the course with his spare wheel over his shoulder to then return.

That my friends is dedication.

Richmond Racer - disappointed you never came to say hi.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Next year I want to see Michael Hutchinson do the Irish Champs, win it, then get in a helicopter and fly to the British Champs and win that one too. A bit like Phil Collins at Live Aid.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alan_a
    From http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... crash.html
    Early estimates suggest the 3,500 people turned out to watch the event, by far the most for the British Time Trial Championships in recent history.

WOW
  • RichN95.
    Alan A wrote:
    Early estimates suggest the 3,500 people turned out to watch the event, by far the most for the British Time Trial Championships in recent history.

WOW
    I suppose that's what happens when you make it part of a proper championships week rather than stick in some random week in September.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    Next year I want to see Michael Hutchinson do the Irish Champs, win it, then get in a helicopter and fly to the British Champs and win that one too. A bit like Phil Collins at Live Aid.

:D Rich is hungry for Troll. He's got some corking cycling anecdote up his sleeve to counter the story about Collins going after penniless Philly sax players for tiny royalty over-payments. And 'In The Air Tonight'.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

:D Rich is hungry for Troll. He's got some corking cycling anecdote up his sleeve to counter the story about Collins going after penniless Philly sax players for tiny royalty over-payments. And 'In The Air Tonight'.
    You may be too young to remember, but at Live Aid Phil Collins famously played at both the London and Philadelphia concerts, flying by Concorde from one to the other. Hence the reference.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hutch takes the Irish TT title beating McCann into 2nd.

Worth noting the ride of Ryan Mullen today in the Irish Champs, who won the U23. His time was only 15 seconds off Hutch. Not bad for an 18 year old over a 40km course!

(And I won the Paracycling National TT Title - on factored time) :)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You may be too young to remember, but at Live Aid Phil Collins famously played at both the London and Philadelphia concerts, flying by Concorde from one to the other. Hence the reference.

He already won a British Championship earlier this month. Apparently it's not the British Championship.

I'm sure this has been asked before. Is there a Welsh, Scottish and English title?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pokerface wrote:

Worth noting the ride of Ryan Mullen today in the Irish Champs, who won the U23. His time was only 15 seconds off Hutch. Not bad for an 18 year old over a 40km course!

Sorry fella. Didn't mean to leave you out. Sticky Bottle only reported the Hutch result at the time of posting.

So what races are you in? Do you ride both Vets and Paracycling?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pokerface wrote:

Congratulations. Not sure what a factored time is.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pokerface wrote:

Congratulations! Good effort.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

He already won a British Championship earlier this month. Apparently it's not the British Championship.

I'm sure this has been asked before. Is there a Welsh, Scottish and English title?

Wales has Welsh champions at all the the main TT distances through the WCA under CTT regulations so basically the equivalent of Hutch's 'British' title. I suspect all the CTT regions have the same but the Welsh champ doesn't get a jersey to wear. Not sure about Scotland as their TTs are run under BC regulations.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Alan A wrote:

WOW

Why weren`t they at work?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DEARDEN Curtis takes Canadian

EBH takes Norway

VANDBORG Brian Bach takes Denmark

Jungels takes Lux
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Pokerface wrote:

Sorry fella. Didn't mean to leave you out. Sticky Bottle only reported the Hutch result at the time of posting.

Riding the Vets road race on Saturday also. Goal is just to finish.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Considering the French had the only NC 1 event, it was a bit of a one cheval race.
    Nobody within two minutes of Chavanel's time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Alan A wrote:

WOW

I've got this stuff called annual leave. Pretty sweet huh?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Riding the Vets road race on Saturday also. Goal is just to finish.

Well done fella, top effort. All those hard yards in Mallorca paying off... :)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Alan A wrote:

WOW

It was in Glasgow ;)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • disgruntledgoat
    My spies on the course tell me Dowsett had a high speed crash on a corner too.

Impressive, that boy.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    okgo wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

WOW

It was in Glasgow ;)

First of all it wasnt in glasgow.. And where they counted 3500 spectators ill never know.
  • alan_a
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

WOW

It was in Glasgow ;)

First of all it wasnt in glasgow.. And where they counted 3500 spectators ill never know.

Around the course. Large groups (mainly local cycling clubs) were having BBQs and parties down toward Irvine. The local riders were commenting that at almost every junction people were cheering their names. There was easily 1,000 people in Stewarton itself.
  • Richmond Racer
    Alan, remind me (again) where would be best areas to get hotel room Sat night? And where best place to hang out on Sun?
  • disgruntledgoat
    Alan, remind me (again) where would be best areas to get hotel room Sat night? And where best place to hang out on Sun?

Charing Cross has a premier inn and is close to the area people are congregating sunday, Great Westrn Road has a lot of nice guest houses and the area slightly downriver from the city centre has lots of budget hotels.

@gietvangent
  • alan_a
    Last minute has the Devoncote @ £55. 2minute walk from Kelvingrove, 5 min walk to university ave climb, 10 min to gt george climb, 5 min to Park circus and the downhill cobbles of Lyndoch.

Failing that best climb is Montrose st then wander to Glasgow Green for finish.
  • Richmond Racer
    Thanks DG and Alan - appreciate the advice