2013 National Championships thread (spoilerific)

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Knedlicky - love that Griepel pic - where did that come from?

Ditto.

LOVE THAT PHOTO. So much right with it. Just need it with less cut off and we are sorted.

Apart from that little bit of belly you can see though the gap in his skinsuit.

Talking about this:
    9116962469_9452ac5797_z.jpg

makes more sense now haha!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Hmm, I got a rather large b*ll*cking for mentioning that Sky's twitter account was less than fair a few years back...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Anything else useful to add?

I love that frenchie! Even when you're telling someone to FO you manage to display so much panache! :wink:

Wonder why frenchie's selling his bike though...

Colnago
    Extreme Power
    55cm

Limited Edition Italian Flag colours

This has to be one of the best looking bikes ever built. If road racing bikes are pure sex, then the Colnago Extreme Power is the sexiest bike amongst sexy bikes. This is the nicest Colnago I have ever owned, and thats from someone who a local bike shop once accused of being a 'Colnago tart'. Yes. I do like them. Ever since I owned an original Rabobank C40, I have been a fan of Colnago. And this, in my humble opinion, is the best Colnago ever made.

The Extreme Power is designed for powerful riders. Its stiff. The stiffest ride you've ever had. Its designed for a great sprinter, or perhaps for a rider like Cancellara, although sadly he will never ride one. Fancy yourself as a powerhouse ? As a Cancellara ? As a bunch sprinter ? This is the bike for you !

Consider though, if you only weigh 50kg, this bike is probably too stiff for you. You might find it uncomfortable. But for a powerful rider, its the best bike in the world.

Its a bike to win a world title on, at the least. Or maybe the Tour of Flanders. But it would look pretty damn impressive at a Sportiff, or a local road race. The local bike cafe owner will probably swap his daughter for this bike. But don't be fooled ! The bike is better.

I'd suggest this is the best bike you'll ever own ! I have owned in excess over 30 bikes in my racing career. This is the best.

Its full carbon, of course. With the full Star fork. The best fork in the business.

This bike is 99% mint, and 99% perfect. Never crashed and never raced. Used purely for posing and telling stories of 'The Big Ring'. Very few miles on it.

There is one tiny blemish. The last photo shows a tiny rub on the top tube, about 3mm across, from when it was transported in my Porsche, and rubbed against something. Its only worn the top coat. Sad, but true.

Weight is 7.85kg. Thats not the very lightest, but this is not a weight weenies bike. This is for strong men, or women. Are you a beast on the bike ? This bike is for you ? Want to be a strong man ? This is the bike for you.

Be aware !

Buying this bike will;

Make you into a Champion overnight*
    Make you stronger than you have ever been*
    Get you a Pro Contract*
    May possibly introduce you to the world of performance enhancing drugs, models, fast cars, big money and fame
    Make you very cool
    Make you smile a lot
    Make you irrestistable to the opposite sex
    *Subject to conditions.

Why am I selling ? I am too busy to ride, and my racing days are over. I hate to see this bike sat in a spare room. I'll keep my fixed gear bikes, but the carbon beauties have to go.

Look at those chain stays ! Look at those seat stays ! God, this bike is gorgeous.

Any questions, please ask.

I will ship this bike anywhere in the world, at cost. But no scams please. I have been on eBay too long. I would prefer to meet and hand over the bike in person. I am frequently in London, and the Midlands. I can meet anywhere inbetween.

Paypal, or cash on collection or delivery.

Coming in a few days;

Pinarello Montello Full Carbon TT bike
    Hotta Carbon Monocoque Fixed Gear TT bike. One of only three in the world

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colnago-Extre ... 27d4322408
    - @ddraver
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    As I said earlier, it just seems churlish. Compare and contrast the Sky Twitter account yesterday with the OPQS account for example. Not that I care *that* much, it just doesn't help the Sky automaton image when they cannot be gracious in defeat and fail to publicly congratulate the winner.

In other news I am really warming to the Boels Dolmans kit even if it does remind me of the portaloo around the corner from my flat.

No, I do agree that Fran Millar needs to give a serious shoeing to her digi marketing team. Very bad impression dished out. And not for the first time.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Until I clicked on the ebay link I assumed that was just an elaborate wind up.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    5' 10", I always had FF down as being shorter than that. :D
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    God those wheels! My eyes! My eyes! :shock:

The person who owns this bike must do some of the joke reviews on amazon.

EDIT: ddraver, does your searching eBay for bikes means you still don't have your new bike yet with all your Algeria cash (that's just attracted the attentions of the NSA)?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    As I said earlier, it just seems churlish. Compare and contrast the Sky Twitter account yesterday with the OPQS account for example. Not that I care *that* much, it just doesn't help the Sky automaton image when they cannot be gracious in defeat and fail to publicly congratulate the winner.

In other news I am really warming to the Boels Dolmans kit even if it does remind me of the portaloo around the corner from my flat.

No, I do agree that Fran Millar needs to give a serious shoeing to her digi marketing team. Very bad impression dished out. And not for the first time.

Am I missing something here with this "outrage"?

Team Sky Twitter = report on Team Sky
    Cycling Weekly / Cycling News / Velo News / VeloNation /etc Twitter = report on cycling (relatively) impartially

Or maybe people are taking things just a bit too seriously again.
  • inkyfingers
    Is it really any surprise that Sky focus on their own riders? I'm sure most teams are just as biased, their website is, after all, the Sky Pro Cycling website, you don't go there for general cycling news.

At least Sky's website is up to date and functional, they are well ahead of most teams on this; Garmin haven't updated theirs since the Dauphine.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Rob, I agree that the focus of team twitter accounts and websites are their own riders, absolutely. Just an acknowledgement when tweeting the results of who actually won the thing would be a decent, sporting thing to do however. To leave out Cav just seems silly, particularly as others have said, and as was clear from tweets over the weekend, Cav was actually hanging out with Sky and using the Death Star, as was Millar etc - hell, Millar's even clutching a Sky bidon in the photos before they went onto the podium.

For anyone to slag them off for a headline in their race report highlighting their top-placed rider, is ludicrous behaviour though. Only someone who has a violent bitter little obsession with them, would do such a stupid thing. :roll:

Their race reports and their photo galleries always include the winner.
  • ddraver
    EDIT: ddraver, does your searching eBay for bikes means you still don't have your new bike yet with all your Algeria cash (that's just attracted the attentions of the NSA)?

No, still waiting...(although that one was stolen from elsewhere, I just got a very "frenchie" feeling when I was reading it).

Scheduled for delivery next week,. need to ring them this afternoon but they have a very un Dutch/German lunch break from 12 to 2 30!!!
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    9120744334_e40d5b564d_c.jpg

9118394671_9cb76a3684_c.jpg

Look no further than here for the best photos of the event:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishcycling/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Thor_Hushovd_NM_121515216x9.jpg

Greipel-wins-659x440.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Knedlicky - love that Griepel pic - where did that come from?

Ditto.

LOVE THAT PHOTO. So much right with it. Just need it with less cut off and we are sorted.

Apart from that little bit of belly you can see though the gap in his skinsuit.

No skinsuit in sight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishcycling/9118388721
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I still need guidance from FF before I can post anything:

Did Cav win with panache?

Was it a heavyweight win?

After all, he went with the breaks, did the work and still busted their arses at the finish? Advice please!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    I still need guidance from FF before I can post anything:

Did Cav win with panache?

Was it a heavyweight win?

After all, he went with the breaks, did the work and still busted their arses at the finish? Advice please!

Don't forget he attacked on the final climb.

Heavyweight panache.

Although from a partisan point of view it lacked class, he should have gifted the win to Millar. ;-)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    skylla wrote:

...except the one Cavendish is wearing.
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Spent the day in Glasgow for this. Went out on the bikes for a roll round in the morning, watching the women's race. Went back home, showered, and back to Glasgow Green for women's finish, then a wander round the team cars/bikes and the men's race start.

We then walked around a lot of the course, taking in different sections each lap and got back to the finish line for the end. Montrose St was impressive, some of them mashing it up in the big ring. Buchannan St corner was very narrow and when it started raining it was lethal - saw one minor crash, surprised there weren't more. Descents down Gibson St and High St were very fast and very impressive close up. You actually get more of a sense of the speed their doing when the cars pass behind them, trying to catch up!

I saw Cav on the front several times, one dragging the group up St Vincent St, then by all accounts he attacked on Montrose St :o ! Need to see highlights tonight for this :D .

Top day out overall, and already looking forward to the Commonwealth Games next year...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Is it really any surprise that Sky focus on their own riders? I'm sure most teams are just as biased, their website is, after all, the Sky Pro Cycling website, you don't go there for general cycling news.

At least Sky's website is up to date and functional, they are well ahead of most teams on this; Garmin haven't updated theirs since the Dauphine.

Bang on. But people want to find a slant on dissing Sky everyday, they do need to keep up their sour-at-sky faces after all.

I couldn't care less about any team.

Well done to Cav though, and to Lizzie.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    What channel/time are the highlights on please?
  • inkyfingers
    7pm on ITV4.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Graeme_S wrote:
    What channel/time are the highlights on please?

It was on ITV 4 the last 2 years I think, but no idea if that's continuing this year...
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Some full length videos...
    French Nat Champs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zVzeoIfkG0
    Watch at 20 mins in as Vichot attacks just before the break enter the routes blanches section. Break is smashed to pieces.

Dutch Nat Champs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... C1BE_6D1X0
    Blanco-fail.

Spanish Nat Champs (inc TT, para, womens):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... T1XISlpdMk
    Classic 1/2 from Movistar seals the win.
  • TMR
    Oh there you go, Inky beat me to it...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    mfin wrote:
    Bang on. But people want to find a slant on dissing Sky everyday, they do need to keep up their sour-at-sky faces after all.

Except some of the people (me for one) criticising Sky in this instance aren't at all anti-Sky. The world doesn't fall neatly into pro and anti-Sky, I realise that it would be much simpler for some people's meta-narratives and internet forums if it did, but it doesn't.

Anyway it doesn't really matter. Wish I'd never brought it up yesterday, just thought it was interesting is all. :?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    7pm on ITV4.
    Thank you!
  • TMR
    Except some of the people (me for one) criticising Sky in this instance aren't at all anti-Sky. The world doesn't fall neatly into pro and anti-Sky, I realise that it would be much simpler for some people's meta-narratives and internet forums if it did, but it doesn't.

Anyway it doesn't really matter. Wish I'd never brought it up yesterday, just thought it was interesting is all. :?

i really like this post. Very well thought out and composed. Accurate too.
  • frenchfighter
    Some full length videos...
    French Nat Champs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zVzeoIfkG0
    Watch at 20 mins in as Vichot attacks just before the break enter the routes blanches section. Break is smashed to pieces.

Dutch Nat Champs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... C1BE_6D1X0
    Blanco-fail.

Spanish Nat Champs (inc TT, para, womens):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... T1XISlpdMk
    Classic 1/2 from Movistar seals the win.

Thanks. That Vichot attack really is a good one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Think you'd agree for every one person like you that might have an independent and valid opinion on it though that there are a lot of people who just pick things up as fuel for a bit of sky-bashing?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Having watched the highlights I was seriously impressed by Cav's win. One in the eye for all those who think he's a sit in sprinter, he pushed hard up the climbs eventually getting rid of Kennaugh of all people and then even tried to go on his own. I know it's a different kettle of fish but would love to see him ride like that in a Classic but he benefitted from a group who weren't going to ride negatively whereas if he was in a break like that on the Continent everyone would leave the chasing to him.