2013 National Championships thread (spoilerific)

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    God, it was tense following it on Twatter.

A shonky vid of Cav, Stan and David M in the final 100m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umztomqi ... e=youtu.be

Throw in some Aussies, and I'm really looking forward to the Commies now
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I can't believe how little public congratulations have been forthcoming from SKY & Garmin. Even on Millar's Twitter account; seriously, would it have killed them to say well done? Miserable sods - you weren't good enough, get over it.
  • TMR
    God, it was tense following it on Twatter.

A shonky vid of Cav, Stan and David M in the final 100m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umztomqi ... e=youtu.be

Throw in some Aussies, and I'm really looking forward to the Commies now

Great video! Amazing to see how fast Cav was going and he wasn't even at full speed at the point he passed you.
  • Richmond Racer

FYI - JTL did feck all. He hung on the back chatting for a few laps then quit.

Hmmmm..
  • TMR
    Hmmmm..

I've considered that post for the last 5 mins but still can't decide whether you are expressing disappointment, disbelief, scepticism or something else! Please clarify! :wink:
  • jenp
    jenp Posts: 8
    Some of my shots from Glasgow...a cracking day out

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Hmmmm..

I've considered that post for the last 5 mins but still can't decide whether you are expressing disappointment, disbelief, scepticism or something else! Please clarify! :wink:

Just wondering where the hell its all going with him, Rapper
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    This really was a truly great day for Glasgow, massive crowds, great atmosphere, weather behaved itself

Thoroughly enjoyed it, took the wife and kids and they loved it too.

Will be back next year for the Commie games on the same course 8)
  • Richmond Racer
    I can't believe how little public congratulations have been forthcoming from SKY & Garmin. Even on Millar's Twitter account; seriously, would it have killed them to say well done? Miserable sods - you weren't good enough, get over it.

Totally agree with you on the official team Twitter accounts - pathetic, really, and very poor sportsmanship in a sport where we value it so much. I loved that Cav, Millar and Kennaugh waited up for Stan after he'd punctured in that final circuit, especially in view of how much work he'd done for so much of the race.

Would say that Fran Millar, Rowe and Kennaugh did tweet nods to Cav from their own accounts. And Millar and Cav are besties so I'm sure that everything Millar said was said directly to Cav himself - same with Stan.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Yeah, Millar was straight over to hug Cav when they finished. Stannard less so but I imagine he was a little bit tired from riding a bike very fast for 5 hours... :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Tell me about it. Any Sky fan boys and girls should be ashamed. They should also be prepared to experience sadness when their factory boys in blue get smoked in the Tour.

On their site, the title is:
    STANNARD SECOND IN GLASGOW

Straight up losers. Bad people as well as bad cyclists.

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it.
    Mark-Cavendish-national-road-race-championshi_2962979.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Knedlicky - love that Griepel pic - where did that come from?

Ditto.

LOVE THAT PHOTO. So much right with it. Just need it with less cut off and we are sorted.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Tell me about it. Any Sky fan boys and girls should be ashamed. They should also be prepared to experience sadness when their factory boys in blue get smoked in the Tour.

You are a bitter man aren't you?

And weren't you calling him Chavendish about a year ago? When he rode for Sky...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    ^he he he

What I loves about the internetz...its forever....
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583

I'm no Sky fanboy, but I think they were pleased. This weekend the Deathstar and other SKY facilities were home to not just to the SKY boys but also Cav, Millar & Dowsett as well as Armistead etc.
  • frenchfighter
    And weren't you calling him Chavendish about a year ago? When he rode for Sky...

I like and respect Cavendish. Sure he has been and is a bit of an idiot on occasion and has had some style issues but that is minor.

I don`t remember calling him `Chavendish` either. Find me the quote?

Anything else useful to add?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    I do apologise, that was BikingBernie.

And I apologise a second time for confusing you with BikingBernie.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Consistency and Frenchfighter are not words that go together Alan. Usually if people try and force it, it results in a massive hissy fit and a lot of toys being thrown out of prams.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited June 2013

Yeah and Wiggle Honda should be ashamed as well. Title on their website says "Medals for Wiggle Honda in British, Italian and Japanese championships". :roll:

Whereas Team Blanco hit the spot with their headline, "Disappointment dominates". :D

(Not sure about Tankink's "dapper" escape though...)
  • frenchfighter
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 2h
    For those out there who understand watts etc. Yesterday I had a normalized power of 371watts for 4.5hrs
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 20 Jun
    Congratulations to my good friend @alexdowsett on winning the British TimeTrial Championships AGAIN. He crashed too!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

Ditto.

LOVE THAT PHOTO. So much right with it. Just need it with less cut off and we are sorted.

Apart from that little bit of belly you can see though the gap in his skinsuit.
  • frenchfighter
    Alan A wrote:
    I'm no Sky fanboy, but I think they were pleased. This weekend the Deathstar and other SKY facilities were home to not just to the SKY boys but also Cav, Millar & Dowsett as well as Armistead etc.

Sky bus driver
    Chris Slark ‏@5lark1 11h
    Hilarious watching how different the boys were. Normally very happy to get naked, but how different when the girlies were about#notsobrave
    Got to say the girls were much tidier than the boys with the exception of @MarkCavendish who is so so neat and tidy.@millarmind too
    Got to say the girls were much tidier than the boys with the exception of @MarkCavendish who is so so neat and tidy.@millarmind too

Alex Dowsett ‏@alexdowsett 12h
    . @LauraTrott31 also walked on the bus just as I got out the shower. It was awkward. @5lark1 laughed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

Ditto.

Apart from that little bit of belly you can see though the gap in his skinsuit.

Talking about this:
    9116962469_9452ac5797_z.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    Anything else useful to add?

I love that frenchie! Even when you're telling someone to FO you manage to display so much panache! :wink:
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Cavendish led them up Montrose Street in the big ring at at least 20mph. They were totally nailing it all the way round. Absolutely superb
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I had enjoyed the Nationals and the overwhelmingly positive atmosphere around the event.

It's ruined now. I hadn't realised that everyone was out to f*** everyone else over and when they were all smiling and hugging each other they were actually whispering death threats into each others ears. Thanks for opening my eyes Frenchie. I almost began to think that cycling was good, but you have reminded me it is dreadful.
  • I can't believe how little public congratulations have been forthcoming from SKY & Garmin. Even on Millar's Twitter account; seriously, would it have killed them to say well done? Miserable sods - you weren't good enough, get over it.

Hey FrenchF is that a skinsuit!! Remind us what you thought about Bouhanni wearing his :)
  • disgruntledgoat
    grantus wrote:
    Cavendish led them up Montrose Street in the big ring at at least 20mph. They were totally nailing it all the way round. Absolutely superb

Rab Wardell popped a wheelie up there at one point.

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Totally agree with you on the official team Twitter accounts - pathetic, really, and very poor sportsmanship in a sport where we value it so much. I loved that Cav, Millar and Kennaugh waited up for Stan after he'd punctured in that final circuit, especially in view of how much work he'd done for so much of the race.

Would say that Fran Millar, Rowe and Kennaugh did tweet nods to Cav from their own accounts. And Millar and Cav are besties so I'm sure that everything Millar said was said directly to Cav himself - same with Stan.
    As I said earlier, it just seems churlish. Compare and contrast the Sky Twitter account yesterday with the OPQS account for example. Not that I care *that* much, it just doesn't help the Sky automaton image when they cannot be gracious in defeat and fail to publicly congratulate the winner.

In other news I am really warming to the Boels Dolmans kit even if it does remind me of the portaloo around the corner from my flat.
    Correlation is not causation.