2013 National Championships thread (spoilerific)

Comments

• adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited June 2013
    Pross wrote:
    Did Cav share the work in the break? If so that's a great ride.
    He definitely did, I saw him on the front a few times.

Edit: proof :)

Edit 2: more proof!
  • adr82
    Some time before Fenn and Swift were dropped:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dz2zn9ww3jz2xz5/4.png
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Pross wrote:
    AtheM wrote:
    Does this mean that Sky have no RR champions?

Not sure. Who won Norway?

Thor, so no Norwegian champs kit at the TdF.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    GREAT RACE... GREAT DAY.... ARGHHHH I LOVE BIKES!!!

Story of the day:

Stannard and Fenn break away early. Chase group of Millar, Kennaugh, Swift and Cav follow. Another chase group behind featuring Kristian House, Luke Rowe & others.

Chase group of 4 catch Stannard and Fenn. A few laps later Fenn is dropped, then Swift.

Stannard, Kennaugh, Millar & Cav stay away for most of the race from then on, with Kennaugh being dropped at the last lap. Final lap saw Stannard try to break but he was caught. My last sight before the finish was Millar leading into Glasgow Green with maybe 5 seconds on Stannard, who was chasing with (and towing) Cav back to Millar. Stannard & Cav catch Millar. Cav does the expected.

AWESOME DAY gosh im still so excited. Not often you get to see guys of this calibre in what is essentially a city centre crit :D
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Via TourdeJose:
    National RR Champs by team
    RSLT: Jungels, Kiserlovski, Devolder & Roulston
    OPQS: Cavendish/Kwiatkowski
    BMC: Santaromita, Schär, Hushovd
    Astana: Dyachenko
    Champion System: Bell & Brammeier
    Europcar: Arashiro
    NetApp-Endura: Barta
    Cofidis: Taaramae
    IAM: Saramotins
    MTN: Thomson
    Vacansoleil-DCM: Hoogerland
    Katusha: Isaichev
    Movistar: Herrada
    Lotto-Belisol: Greipel
    Orica-Greenedge: Vaitkus/Durbridge
    Euskaltel: Tamouridis
    Cannondale: Sagan
    Saxo-Tinkoff: Mørkøv
    FDJ: Vichot

Belarus RR was Krasilnikau. Sky get TT jersey for Belarus & Norway.

Knedlicky - love that Griepel pic - where did that come from?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    http://www.stickybottle.com/races-resul ... -man-wins/

“I knew it would be hard, but not that hard,” said Matt Brammeier minutes after he had successfully defended his national road race title for the third year in a row, making him the first rider to win four consecutive Irish road titles.

Brammeier’s victory in Carlingford, where he out-sprinted fellow escapees Philip Lavery (AC Bisontine) and Damien Shaw of domestic club Aquablue, came in pretty much the same style as his previous three – the Champion System pro getting himself up the road as early as possible and staying there for the rest of the race.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    nweststeyn wrote:
    GREAT RACE... GREAT DAY.... ARGHHHH I LOVE BIKES!!!

Story of the day:

Stannard and Fenn break away early. Chase group of Millar, Kennaugh, Swift and Cav follow. Another chase group behind featuring Kristian House, Luke Rowe & others.

Chase group of 4 catch Stannard and Fenn. A few laps later Fenn is dropped, then Swift.

Stannard, Kennaugh, Millar & Cav stay away for most of the race from then on, with Kennaugh being dropped at the last lap. Final lap saw Stannard try to break but he was caught. My last sight before the finish was Millar leading into Glasgow Green with maybe 5 seconds on Stannard, who was chasing with (and towing) Cav back to Millar. Stannard & Cav catch Millar. Cav does the expected.

AWESOME DAY gosh im still so excited. Not often you get to see guys of this calibre in what is essentially a city centre crit :D

I flitted between the top third of St Vincent St (up - with headwind) and West George St (down - with tailwind) and hung about the tight corners at the bottom. Can did indeed take a few turns on the front and also did a lot of shouting :lol:

At one stage I was sandwiched between a couple of elderly Glaswegian ladies (matron!). Old - and middle class - lady on my left complained about the passing spots of rain and that she could't understand the chap in the PA car "he needs to work on his pronunciation". Old - and pure Glaswegian - lady to the right was complaining that Miller was doing to much on the front and that Sky were ganging up on Cav! I could have hugged her - I have faith in the sport in this country!

FYI - JTL did feck all. He hung on the back chatting for a few laps then quit.

Some not very good pics:

gg4a.jpg
    178q.JPG
    9i7h.jpg
    of7c.jpg
    pmjv.jpg
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    A Euskaltel rider in a Greek national jersey? Cor, lets hope ETA don't notice that one (are they still going?)
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    edited June 2013
    I flitted between the top third of St Vincent St (up - with headwind) and West George St (down - with tailwind) and hung about the tight corners at the bottom. Can did indeed take a few turns on the front and also did a lot of shouting :lol:

I did the same as you, only further up St Vincent St, and Blytheswood Square. Jolly good it was too.

20130623_163824small_zps5f2c78f3.jpg
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Here's Stijn winning in Belgium:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7aidtsJqRk
    Prepare to be enraged by Radioshack's attempt at a Belgian nat champ jersey.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Millar brought these two back solo.
    BNc8Q9RCUAA-Y6e.jpg:large

Chatted with Millar & Ned Boulding just prior to the podium. Millar's opinion is that realising they were 40s clear from the 4 chasers with 120km still to race they deliberately eased until the 6 regrouped, then Stannard & Fenn in particular put in some big efforts to drag the 6 clear.

Here's my pics of the day.

2013-06-23%2019.08.32-1.jpg

2013-06-23%2017.57.15-5.jpg

2013-06-23%2018.27.03.jpg

Glasgow did itself proud today.

Lots more to say about today but I've been shouting into a mic for 11 hours. I need a whisky and to go to bed.

I had a blast.
  • And another (pretty awful) photo...

20130623_170855small_zpse44aaad7.jpg
  • alan_a
    Oh, however the fastest lap of the day (by some margin) was posted by Ben Swift for the lap that he, Cav, Millar and Kennaugh put in to chase down Stan & Fenn.

What does that say?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Yes Alan was a fantastic day out - like i said i was worried about the course if it had rained, but walking the whole course, atmosphere , great racing too and the weather Glasgow should give itself a big pat on the back tonight.
  • adr82
    Here are my photos from the day with the really crap ones removed (I'm not a photographer as you may be able to tell!):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m36kwj6n8bimna0/NqVHKZcA2M
  • adr82
    Here's Stijn winning in Belgium:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7aidtsJqRk
    Prepare to be enraged by Radioshack's attempt at a Belgian nat champ jersey.
    Those roads look incredibly slippy!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Cheers for the pictures, reports etc. Sounds like it was a good day.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    Cav was doing plenty of work and on the front several laps as they passed me.

I was between Berkeley Street, Sauchiehall Street and Kelvingrove Park.

Great day and Stewarton on Thursday was another fantastic day of cycling up here.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Via TourdeJose:
    National RR Champs by team
    Champion System: Bell & Brameier
    Sorry to be a pedant, but Gang Xu is still the Chinese Champion.

Will get over my weird Champion systems fetish over time.
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    As many have said: Glasgow did a fantastic job today. Gutted for Millar: he went past the People's Palace with 50+m lead about 1.4km to go. I presume that Stannard pulled Cav up to Millar.
    Will get some photos up tomorrow. Looking forward to watching the highlights & seeing what happened between the bits I saw.
  • alan_a
    Someone nearly came a cropper on first lap.

9117169251_ccccbf1b3c_h.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    That woman was taking her life in her hands!
  • Robert72
    Robert72 Posts: 84
    Great day for Glasgow and cycling
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    That photo of the woman crossing the road reminds me of the time I nearly crashed in to a group of people in wheelchairs crossing the track.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    ddraver wrote:
    Pokerface? ;)

No. That's "Ah crap this is gonna hurt"face :wink:

BNTX8m6CQAEOMod.jpg:large

^That's Pokerface.
  • adr82
    Alan A wrote:
    Someone nearly came a cropper on first lap.

9117169251_ccccbf1b3c_h.jpg
    I saw so many people doing stuff like that... why would you cross the road after the motorbikes have gone past with horns going and lights flashing specifically to warn you the race is coming past??? Just wait for a few bloody seconds, your shopping isn't that important! :roll: It's people like this who get impatient when stuck behind cyclists and try stupid overtaking manoeuvres.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Sorry to everyone I didn't see... Given some very exciting cycling news on my own part, I decided a long ride would serve my purposes better than an afternoon of drinking and then watched the last hour and a half on Saltmarket.

Was amazed at the size of the crowds and really happy for the tiny team Scottish Cycling have put this together with and my colleagues who supported them. A brilliant day to live in Glasgow.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Robert72
    Robert72 Posts: 84
    A few pics from Glasgow