Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    goonz wrote:
    Can anyone bring me back a couple of goodies please????

Wotcha want, then?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Realistically who can challenge Froomedog? Can we have a top 5 contenders?

There's another thread for that.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    goonz wrote:

Wotcha want, then?

Anything, not fussy a keyring, cap anything you get your hands on mate. If possible a carbon fibre bike if one of the riders has a mechanical and lobs it in your direction! :wink:

Appreciate it!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Richmond Racer
    goonz wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Wotcha want, then?

Anything, not fussy a keyring, cap anything you get your hands on mate. If possible a carbon fibre bike if one of the riders has a mechanical and lobs it in your direction! :wink:

Appreciate it!

All right - extra tat for you. PM me your address at some point and I'll send you whatever I bring back. Pls note that it will not be sent in a bike bag, so you can recallibrate your hopes right now :)
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Could you just nick a bus, preferably the jersey one, park it in Richmond Park and we'll all come down and scrum for them as you fling them at us, laughing maniacally?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Is the stuff really worth the price of a stamp, especially if you weren't there to get it yourself?

We collected most things in a fit of boredom (keyrings, comics, caps, pmu hands, musettes ... the usual stuff) ... Once we got home we let our cycling friends take their pick ... nobody wanted anything ... we only kept a credit lyonnaise musette (has winter cycling stuff in it ... maybe) and Heras' water bottle (went in the bin when we done up the house) ...

Plus if you don't go yourself you miss out on getting Evian pissed on you at the side of the road and the start announcer shouting 'blah blah blah Grand Mere (coffee) ...' with such gusto he only previously reserved for Sandy Casar (crikey the French were desperate) as the caravan goes by ...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Damn this thread is full of waffle...cakestop calling

tumblr_ml7yeelGFS1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg

Still love looking at this photo
    tdf11st15-read.jpg

QUAD.
    tumblr_m7e5dy2mF41r3xgd1o1_1280.jpg

Even got polka dots on the Boras.
    bettiniphoto_0117471_1_full.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    LutherB wrote:
    Could you just nick a bus, preferably the jersey one, park it in Richmond Park and we'll all come down and scrum for them as you fling them at us, laughing maniacally?

I would seriously like to nick the baguette car and drive it around Richmond Park :)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247

Latest odds:

Froome 8/11
    Contador 3/1
    Rodriguez 20/1
    Porte 22/1
    Qunitana 33/1

Van Garderen 45/1
    Evans 47/1
    Valverde 51/1
    Schleck 66/1
    Van den Broeck 80/1

Might be best looking to put some money on a podium finish for one of the latter 5. (or even all of them!)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Richmond Racer
    durhamwasp wrote:

Latest odds:

Froome 8/11
    Contador 3/1
    Rodriguez 20/1
    Porte 22/1
    Qunitana 33/1

Van Garderen 45/1
    Evans 47/1
    Valverde 51/1
    Schleck 66/1
    Van den Broeck 80/1

Might be best looking to put some money on a podium finish for one of the latter 5. (or even all of them!)

Froome's odds make him unbackable, value-wise. What are the odds on a Froome-Porte 1-2?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I would seriously like to nick the baguette car and drive it around Richmond Park :)

I can't decide which is best, the St. Michel chicken or the Aujour d'hui duck!

chicken+car.JPG

02-publicity-duck.jpg
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    That duck looks like a potentially effective amphibious vehicle
  • durhamwasp wrote:

Latest odds:

Froome 8/11
    Contador 3/1
    Rodriguez 20/1
    Porte 22/1
    Qunitana 33/1

Van Garderen 45/1
    Evans 47/1
    Valverde 51/1
    Schleck 66/1
    Van den Broeck 80/1

Froome's odds make him unbackable, value-wise. What are the odds on a Froome-Porte 1-2?
    Those odds look like they're from Betfair, so e/w (i.e. their place market) will no doubt differ. However, I'd be all over Porte and Valverde e/w at those prices.

Given Quitana's a shorter price, is there any talk of him leading the team over Valverde?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    durhamwasp wrote:

Latest odds:

Froome 8/11
    Contador 3/1
    Rodriguez 20/1
    Porte 22/1
    Qunitana 33/1

Van Garderen 45/1
    Evans 47/1
    Valverde 51/1
    Schleck 66/1
    Van den Broeck 80/1

In a 3-week race with all the potential for crashes, punctures, illness, injury, 8/11 is just astonishngly bad odds!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Damn this thread is full of waffle...cakestop calling

[/img]

So Frenchie posts a load of pictures from pre 2012 - Genius!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited June 2013
    No way is Froome that likely to win. Same with Wiggo in the Giro. Seriously who comes up with these numbers...
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    LutherB wrote:
    A friend of mine nicked a bus once, he now works for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, I'm not sure why I'm telling you this or more importantly what it says about the British Civil Service, but...

chicken+car.JPG

02-publicity-duck.jpg
    Brings to mind the great question of our time. Would you rather fight one car sized duck/chicken or one hundred duck/chicken sized cars?
    Damn this thread is full of waffle...
    Ummmm waffles, yummy. Any chance of a waffle car at this years Tour? So as I was saying about the civil service...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Brings to mind the great question of our time. Would you rather fight one car sized duck/chicken or one hundred duck/chicken sized cars?

Funnily enough this question was on m mind just last night!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Mario Cipollini and Jan Ulrich will be driving this in the Tour caravan this year:

8aaab9fe-15b8-405a-81a4-6bd3b699b4a0_zpse899bc5e.jpg
    tumblr_ml7yeelGFS1qdw1kro1_1280.jpg
    Is that Francis off the Halford ads? Why's he now advertising cabbages?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • LutherB
    LutherB wrote:
    A friend of mine nicked a bus once, he now works for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, I'm not sure why I'm telling you this or more importantly what it says about the British Civil Service, but...

They really don't care, i worked at the Forensic Science Services and needed Level 2 security clearance to work with the drugs & shooters...in my yoof i had a passion for other people's motors :oops: only gave it up when Detention Centre was the next stop; got me Security Clearance no bother.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Anyone know what the PMU odds are ?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Frenchie, we (well, not the dude scrounging stuff) were talking about the Caravan, which you well know lasts longer than the actual racing when you're in France ... it adds to the spectacle and atmosphere and is part of what makes the TdF the biggest (not best) race in the world ...

Imagine if Alberto went soaring up Alp d'Huez and there was no atmosphere among the spectators, would the race you're watching on tv lose something? Would you and your hero feel like he was a true chamion or an accountant?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    ThomThom wrote:
    I have Bak as captain and favorite for the GC.

And probably a couple of stage wins too? :)

Now, let's not get carried away here..
  • durhamwasp
    ddraver wrote:
    No way is Froome that likely to win. Same with Wiggo in the Giro. Seriously who comes up with these numbers...
    Us!

Those are best odds from all betting companies. I think an E/W bet on Porte is probably the most attractive one.

Its obviously hard to find a good reason to back Schleck, even on E/W, but if you want one, he has finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd in the last 3 tours he has competed in. His performance in the next few stages of the Tour de Suisse might see his odds tumble.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp
    dsoutar wrote:
    Anyone know what the PMU odds are ?

Froome 1.46
    Contador 3.60
    Rodriguez 17.00
    Porte 18.00
    Quintana 20.00
    Evans 26.00
    Van Garderen 33.00
  • ddraver
    durhamwasp wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Us!

Those are best odds from all betting companies. I think an E/W bet on Porte is probably the most attractive one.

Its obviously hard to find a good reason to back Schleck, even on E/W, but if you want one, he has finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd in the last 3 tours he has competed in. His performance in the next few stages of the Tour de Suisse might see his odds tumble.

They should have a stupid person co-efficient - S - for times like this...
    - @ddraver
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Something for the Londoners out there...

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2013/us/p ... ondon.html
  • LutherB

Good stuff! Will be heading down there for a stage or two.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

"Set up in Wood Wharf, right at the heart of Canary Wharf"

What a load of rollocks, Wood Wharf is a good 10 minute walk from my office. Neverheless might pop my head in after work. I was hoping it really wood (sic) be right in the heart as I could pop in sometime in the middle of the afternoon but doesn't seem so likely now

Also have they not worked out that the tour is a 3 week event ?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    durhamwasp wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Us!
    I think the tempting price is what keeps bookies in business. Still it might pay out if you get in ahead of the 'test results'