Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    dsoutar wrote:
    Something for the Londoners out there...

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2013/us/p ... ondon.html

"Set up in Wood Wharf, right at the heart of Canary Wharf"

What a load of rollocks, Wood Wharf is a good 10 minute walk from my office. Neverheless might pop my head in after work. I was hoping it really wood (sic) be right in the heart as I could pop in sometime in the middle of the afternoon but doesn't seem so likely now

Also have they not worked out that the tour is a 3 week event ?

True, but I dont think it would please the TV companies if the whole Tour was on for free in the centre of London. Purely a marketing tool, a taster to drum up support for the Grand Depart in Yorkshire. But hey. If I lived in London I would be there, to soak up the atmosphere.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    dsoutar wrote:

What a load of rollocks, Wood Wharf is a good 10 minute walk from my office. Neverheless might pop my head in after work. I was hoping it really wood (sic) be right in the heart as I could pop in sometime in the middle of the afternoon but doesn't seem so likely now

Wow. For the life of me I cant work out why people think that those of us who work in Finance have an inflated sense of entitlement
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Hardly the centre of London is it, Canary Wharf?

Good idea, but would have been better closer to the true centre of London.
  • Richmond Racer
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Hardly the centre of London is it, Canary Wharf?

Good idea, but would have been better closer to the true centre of London.

M.O.N.E.Y. Potential sponsor firms etc.

innit
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    dsoutar wrote:

Wow. For the life of me I cant work out why people think that those of us who work in Finance have an inflated sense of entitlement

Sorry if that came over badly but even with a 90 minute commute I get in before 07:00, rarely leave before 18:00 and frequently am here after 19:00 and always have lunch at my desk. I can easily count on one hand the number of times I've been out of the office during working hours this year. As much as I'd love to I don't have the time to wander over to Wood Wharf.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't get paid overtime nor do I get some massive f**king bonus.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Blimey, wish I hadn't posted the link now. :cry:
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

Sorry !!

It's been a particularly bad week and I've just had to spend the last few hours writing up my performance appraisal which is a twice yearly task I dread. I'm not sort of martyr either 'cos I see the same souls who clearly have a similar lifestyle as me on the train each day.

For those in or near Canary Wharf, I hope it's worth visiting. Anyway, on a happier note, I'm looking forward to being in France for the last 2 days and especially looking forward to watching the "nocturne" of the final stage.

There, I'm happier already :lol:
  • Richmond Racer
    dsoutar wrote:

Sorry !!

It's been a particularly bad week and I've just had to spend the last few hours writing up my performance appraisal which is a twice yearly task I dread. I'm not sort of martyr either 'cos I see the same souls who clearly have a similar lifestyle as me on the train each day.

For those in or near Canary Wharf, I hope it's worth visiting. Anyway, on a happier note, I'm looking forward to being in France for the last 2 days and especially looking forward to watching the "nocturne" of the final stage.

And soz for being sarky. Appraisal time is the devil's spawn when its just annual, never mind semi-annual
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The bookies have short odds on Froome as the English public will be backing him (and the Kenyans). So it is a risk, same for Wiggo at the Giro. No value in it for the punter at all.

BTW does anyone know when Sky are announcing their team? (as I want to do my velogames team!)
  • greasedscotsman
    dsoutar wrote:

Sorry !!

No worries. You should have said it was appraisal time. The lack of them is one of the few things I like about my current job! That and the 10-15 minute commute. :D

And the final stage should be great! I'll be there as well. What stages are others planning to go and see? I'll be at Ventoux, Alpe d'Huez, (maybe the Glandon on the Le Grand-Bornand stage) Annecy and Paris. Can't wait!
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    http://road.cc/content/news/85400-anti- ... -de-france

TdF riders are extremely exposed to any form of protest, I hope the organisers are aware that the races higher media profile may present new issues.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Bo Duke wrote:
    http://road.cc/content/news/85400-anti-gay-marriage-protestors-target-tour-de-france

TdF riders are extremely exposed to any form of protest, I hope the organisers are aware that the races higher media profile may present new issues.

The Tour has been targeted many times by protesters, they'll deal with it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • greasedscotsman
    Bo Duke wrote:
    http://road.cc/content/news/85400-anti-gay-marriage-protestors-target-tour-de-france

The Tour has been targeted many times by protesters, they'll deal with it.

They will just send Hinault in...

Bernard-Hinault-punch.jpg
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    dsoutar wrote:
    especially looking forward to watching the "nocturne" of the final stage.

good shout, had forgotten about this 8)
  • inkyfingers
    And this... Hinault deals with a bloke who got onto the Podium...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lhnlbN3zo
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    And this... Hinault deals with a bloke who got onto the Podium...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lhnlbN3zo

And the time he pushed Nibali off for wearing the wrong team jersey

badger1.jpg

If you do a google image search for hinault podium you get none of him winning races and lots of him attacking imposters.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    whats the story behind Nibbles???
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    ddraver wrote:

It's not nibbles.
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:

It's not nibbles.
    Yep. Just some bloke who looks a lot like him.
  • greasedscotsman
    If only he had pushed off this bozo as well...

Lance+Armstrong+Bernard+Hinault+Le+Tour+2010+Kf2ZDtsC4HKx.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Not a cyclist then...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Not a cyclist then...
    No. Just some random FdJ fan.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    dsoutar wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:

Sorry if that came over badly but even with a 90 minute commute I get in before 07:00, rarely leave before 18:00 and frequently am here after 19:00 and always have lunch at my desk. I can easily count on one hand the number of times I've been out of the office during working hours this year. As much as I'd love to I don't have the time to wander over to Wood Wharf.

And before anyone asks, no, I don't get paid overtime nor do I get some massive f**king bonus.

Well dont do it mate. Its the American "hours at work" thing. I was getting dragged into that stupid situation, so I got out. I now work to live, not the other way round.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    mike6 wrote:
    Well dont do it mate. Its the American "hours at work" thing. I was getting dragged into that stupid situation, so I got out. I now work to live, not the other way round.

Late to the party, but I agree with that comment 100%. It's no way to live life :(
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Also, is the irony lost on anyone else, complaining about hours of work on a cycling forum at midday on a Friday?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Carlton Kirby ‏@carltonkirby 17m
    As you're asking: Tour de France on Eurosport is me & Sean Kelly on site, with Mike Smith back in the Paris dungeon. David H returns soon.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    As you're asking: Tour de France on Eurosport is me & Sean Kelly on site, with Mike Smith back in the Paris dungeon. David H returns soon.
    "Whaaat! I sorry but that's bolloks, JC"
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Was just about to post the same. I don't mind Kirby as much as some but still a disappointment.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No Harmon? Shame. :(
    Correlation is not causation.