Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Now I'm not a photo editor or a graphic designer but it strikes me as a bit of a rubbish photo of a sprint finish when you crop off the sport's current best sprinter and leave just the tiniest fragment of his left arm poking out from the right hand side. Especially as he in fact won that stage.
    Seems fine to me. It gets the yellow and green jerseys in there with the Belgian one as a bonus. If it was accompanying a report it would be awful, but it's just decoration.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Froome fans need not fret if he doesnt manage to pull off the win this year....he plans to try to win it for the next 6 or 7 years....

*runs away and hides under desk*

You can't hide away under your desk for 6-7 years RR, unless you're George from Seinfeld! You never know, you may warm to him in that time - lots of battles to be had, courage to be shown, maybe, heaven forbid!, some panache along the way. Character on the bike, not in the press, should be the yardstick. Time will tell 8)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Paulie W wrote:
    Saying you want to win the Tour 7 times is a bit naive on his part, bound to get twitter in a pickle.

He is quoted as saying he wants to target the Tour for the next 6 or 7 years which is slightly different and comes in response to a questin about whether he and Wiggins are opposites - what he seems to be saying is that unlike Wiggins I'm not interested in all the adoration and fame that comes with winning I'm just interested in racing.

Tbh not how I read the full Times article. And he's also told other reporters who've done recent interviews, the same thing - that he wants to win it multiple times. Heck, I dont care if he says that he wants to win it riding a unicycle - Inky's point is that if a rider - ideally Froome or Wiggins - seems to be saying something or wanting to do something that the Devil Incarnate Lance said or did, its leapt upon as proof postive that they're on the juice as he was. So the Twitterati* will love chewing over the fact that he's saying he wants to try to win the Tour 6 or 7 times. 'Just like Lance'.

*for example The Twitterati decided last year that the fact that Wiggins' dad abandoned him and his mother when he was a sprog 'just like Lance's dad did, was evidence that Wiggins was just like Lance in 'other ways'

Agreed but if you start down that road, of moderating everything you say because of what some twats on Twitter might say, where do you stop? Do you also start moderating your behaviour? Because Lance also rode a bicycle and took a poo every morning and so do you stop doing those things?

I fear by closing off completely because of some fear - as justifiable as it might be - of what some numpties on the internet might say you in fact hand them even more power than they had before. These self-appointed bergers of Velotopia should not be allowed to dictate the sport in this way.

Additionally if Froome says nothing in an interview or does no interviews at all he will be equally vilified by said self-appointed bergers of Velotopia for being evasive and so obviously hiding something.

You can't win with these people as you think you're playing chess but they're playing snakes and ladders.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I've nothing against Froome, but he is f**king boring isn't he.

I'll never have a picture of him as my screensaver.

I have similar feelings. I know he's not made to be an entertainer - he's a bike rider, BUT when he talks about anything zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ. And he doesnt look very classy on the bike - that bent arms, staring at the floor thing really doesn't do it for me.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited June 2013
    Dont disagree particularly, ATC - I was making this point to someone last night that Lance seems to have tainted all vocabulary for current riders - they cant say 'I've never had any positive tests' cos everyone just laughs and says neither did Lance. You cant say 'I train extemely hard' - cos of course Lance was busting his ass. Etc etc.

Think inky and I were making the point about how the Twitterati treat anything as fuel for their fire - and actually some journos too in the way they phrase some of their stories.
  • Richmond Racer

I have similar feelings. I know he's not made to be an entertainer - he's a bike rider, BUT when he talks about anything zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ. And he doesnt look very classy on the bike - that bent arms, staring at the floor thing really doesn't do it for me.[/quote]

I really really wish he could/would stop that
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106

Now I'm not a photo editor or a graphic designer but it strikes me as a bit of a rubbish photo of a sprint finish when you crop off the sport's current best sprinter and leave just the tiniest fragment of his left arm poking out from the right hand side. Especially as he in fact won that stage.

My thoughts exactly, all I thought was where's Cav!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • above_the_cows
    Dont disagree particularly, ATC - I was making this point to someone last night that Lance seems to have tainted all vocabulary for current riders - they cant say 'I've never had any positive tests' cos everyone just laughs and says neither did Lance. You cant say 'I train extemely hard' - cos of course Lance was busting his ass. Etc etc.

Think inky and I were making the point about how the Twitterati treat anything as fuel for their fire.

Absolutely. This is Lance's legacy.
  • Richmond Racer

Think inky and I were making the point about how the Twitterati treat anything as fuel for their fire.

Absolutely. This is Lance's legacy.

The fecker
  • goonz
    edited June 2013

I have similar feelings. I know he's not made to be an entertainer - he's a bike rider, BUT when he talks about anything zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ. And he doesnt look very classy on the bike - that bent arms, staring at the floor thing really doesn't do it for me.

Oh, and please for the love of mike change those fu.cking glasses!!!!

While you are at it try and make it look a little easier please! You put off all the would be cyclists with those wild waving bent arms and open mouth all the fu.cking time!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cav's image rights are obviously very valuable now, thus they could only afford his elbow.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuGoqvtrQe0
  • above_the_cows
    Cav's image rights are obviously very valuable now, thus they could only afford his elbow.

:D

As for Froome Nodding Dog Fenton.

scoobydoo_zps71d1289c.gif

It's kike someone cut the string holding up his puppet head.

1ac1ac19-ae87-40d3-b8a8-417a26f8dc4f_zpsc79cb227.jpg

6143b393-93bf-404e-ad22-4471db4ee87c_zps8a1c736a.jpg

This is what happens when you are too tired/had too many wines after a work shindig.
  • goonz
    Loving the Jawbones!
  • Richmond Racer
    Re the Tour 100 book cover:

I was at a talk and Q&A with the esteemed Messrs Moore and Fotheringham yesterday evening. Seems that when Richard Moore was shown the cover pre-publication Cav was in his full photographic glory, but by the time it made the actual print version just Cav's elbow remained on the cover....and the rest of him is on the book spine. So when the book's on display on a bookshelf, there's Cav in solitary splendour.
  • goonz
    Minus an elbow!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

I was at a talk and Q&A with the esteemed Messrs Moore and Fotheringham yesterday evening. Seems that when Richard Moore was shown the cover pre-publication Cav was in his full photographic glory, but by the time it made the actual print version just Cav's elbow remained on the cover....and the rest of him is on the book spine. So when the book's on display on a bookshelf, there's Cav in solitary splendour.

So was it intentional then?

(Printers hat on).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • above_the_cows

Ah, this makes sense. See I told you I wasn't a photo editor or a graphic designer.
    goonz wrote:
    Minus an elbow!

'Tis very Henry V http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Cw15k5p2Y :D
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

I have similar feelings. I know he's not made to be an entertainer - he's a bike rider, BUT when he talks about anything zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ. And he doesnt look very classy on the bike - that bent arms, staring at the floor thing really doesn't do it for me.[/quote]

It atually makes me mad watching it.

You are lucky if you aren't familiar with what we are talking about here. Because once you notice it there's no way back.
  • LeicesterLad
    ThomThom wrote:

It atually makes me mad watching it.

You are lucky if you aren't familiar with what we are talking about here. Because once you notice it there's no way back.

And he's a proper spinner and spinners never look as good in the final 500m of a summit finish compared to the grinders.
  • goonz
    Froome sort it out!
  • Richmond Racer
    Disgusting :lol:

ChrisFroome_2816093.jpg

Scrub your eyes, LL!
  • LeicesterLad
    Disgusting :lol:

Scrub your eyes, LL!

I need new eyes after that!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited June 2013
    At least Froome can be pleased to know that they look just as ridiculous on G. Thomas...

Why aren't they told?!

_53204810_geraint_thomas_get.jpg
    881919-20130603-175849-3.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    They will of course be yellow if he wins. Something to look forward to! 8)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I don't think you can beat Contador for stylish climbing. He looks good on a bike.

Can't wait for the Tour, Phil and Paul Bingo, doomed break by Sandy Casar, Jens completing a stage having worn down both arms and legs to bleeding stumps, Cav tantrum resulting in bike/helmet/journalist abuse, Tommy Voeckler gurning his way to a stage win, Windmills and Chateas...the list goes on
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • goonz
    Will the old man in the devil suit be there?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    the list goes on

And some of this...

tour-de-france-farmers.jpg