Tour de France 2013 - Race Chat

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    it was a collect from behind the counter jobby last time. I asked the girl at the till and she didn't have a clue what i was on about so she asked a manager who eventually gave me my freebies. :lol:

In that case, I don't know. But I feel like I should go back to Morrisons and demand the freebies that I didn't get when I bought my copy!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Do we get any freebies from WH Smiths this year? I'm still using the wiggle bottle and the gels and drinks were pretty tasty.

Don't think so. Pretty sure I saw them in Smiths over the weekend and couldn't see anything attached.

it was a collect from behind the counter jobby last time. I asked the girl at the till and she didn't have a clue what i was on about so she asked a manager who eventually gave me my freebies. :lol:

I got thrown out when I asked the girl behind the counter if I could grab one of her bidons.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

In that case, I don't know. But I feel like I should go back to Morrisons and demand the freebies that I didn't get when I bought my copy!
    I think the freebies were only a WH Smith exclusive.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Ah - have been waiting for this thread to open!

Anyone know why Cummings isn't on the BMC shortlist?

And anyone else think that Garmin putting together their tour team 3 days before the tour with all the squad still in contention is barking?!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily 2s
    AG2R: Vincent Lavenu confirms that Romain Bardet, Maxime Bouet, Samuel Dumoulin, Biel Kadri, Jean-Christophe Peraud will ride the Tour.

Will be good to see how Bardet goes.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited June 2013
    mroli wrote:
    Ah - have been waiting for this thread to open!

Anyone know why Cummings isn't on the BMC shortlist?

And anyone else think that Garmin putting together their tour team 3 days before the tour with all the squad still in contention is barking?!

Cummings rode the Giro - probably trying to field as many fresh legs as possible, though the likes of Morabito made himself indispensible to Cuddles in the mountains so gets a shot at the Tour.

And yes, seems a strange way of Garmin doing it. Sounds like a ride-off for the riders to try for a place. Hesj (assuming he recovers condition in time after yday's crash), Martin, Talansky are all shoe-ins anyway.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    RichN95 wrote:

In that case I am going to cancel my order online and head to my nearest Smiths right after work!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • RichN95.
    goonz wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

In that case I am going to cancel my order online and head to my nearest Smiths right after work!
    I said WERE not ARE. No idea about this year.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_m84bb6FTf91ryedguo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2013
    tumblr_lg7l6falht1qedwlko1_500.gif

tumblr_m1kf1pResi1qfl7jwo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2adqwG0Uv1qaopbco2_500.png

tumblr_lpu6plPxqv1qh2ly7o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    tumblr_lg7l6falht1qedwlko1_500.gif

tumblr_m1kf1pResi1qfl7jwo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2adqwG0Uv1qaopbco2_500.png

tumblr_lpu6plPxqv1qh2ly7o1_500.jpg

How cool do these guys look, a million times better than the lycra clad guys these days!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    True. Compulsory helmet use also did nothing for the look.

Cant wait for the Tour this year. We now live in the Haute Garonne and are taking in three stages. We were at the stage start in Samatan last year, It was fun but start villages get swamped and spectating is difficult. Couldn't fault the atmosphere though.
    Just hope the weather is kind. Seems odd to say this of the South of France but the meteo has been poor so far in 2013. Loads of rain and grey skies, the Pyrenees still have loads of snow. The locals cant remember a wetter and colder start to the year.
    Anyway, roll on the Grand Depart.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Tommy V by the looks of it :)
    tumblr_m84bb6FTf91ryedguo1_1280.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Can we have the polo shirts back please. Looks boss.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Cummings rode the Giro - probably trying to field as many fresh legs as possible, though the likes of Morabito made himself indispensible to Cuddles in the mountains so gets a shot at the Tour.
    I thought that Cummings had said that he wanted to ride all 3 GTs. Maybe I've got that wrong.

Re Polo shirts - it may not surprise you to know that Rapha do a very nice one for their Imperial Works customers - £150 later:
    3901-01.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Froome fans need not fret if he doesnt manage to pull off the win this year....he plans to try to win it for the next 6 or 7 years....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome- ... even-years

*runs away and hides under desk*

ps the article quotes a double page interview and puff piece in the today's Times
  • inkyfingers
    Black and white photography always makes you look cool, just look at Pennie Smith's "Before and After" photo journal of The Clash.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Froome fans need not fret if he doesnt manage to pull off the win this year....he plans to try to win it for the next 6 or 7 years....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome- ... even-years

*runs away and hides under desk*

ps the article quotes a double page interview and puff piece in the today's Times

He admits that Wiggins' absence will make life easier because of the whole media driven Wiggins v. Froome dynamic. On the whole, a pretty inane piece - lots of predictable 'I love the team' stuff and particularly his man-love for Richie.
  • inkyfingers
    Saying you want to win the Tour 7 times is a bit naive on his part, bound to get twitter in a pickle.
  • Richmond Racer
    Saying you want to win the Tour 7 times is a bit naive on his part, bound to get twitter in a pickle.

Me thoughts, too
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492

He is quoted as saying he wants to target the Tour for the next 6 or 7 years which is slightly different and comes in response to a questin about whether he and Wiggins are opposites - what he seems to be saying is that unlike Wiggins I'm not interested in all the adoration and fame that comes with winning I'm just interested in racing.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

Me thoughts, too

he'll be alright, he's got the ultimate twitter attack dog
  • inkyfingers
    I've nothing against Froome, but he is f**king boring isn't he.

I'll never have a picture of him as my screensaver.
  • Richmond Racer
    Paulie W wrote:

He is quoted as saying he wants to target the Tour for the next 6 or 7 years which is slightly different and comes in response to a questin about whether he and Wiggins are opposites - what he seems to be saying is that unlike Wiggins I'm not interested in all the adoration and fame that comes with winning I'm just interested in racing.

Tbh not how I read the full Times article. And he's also told other reporters who've done recent interviews, the same thing - that he wants to win it multiple times. Heck, I dont care if he says that he wants to win it riding a unicycle - Inky's point is that if a rider - ideally Froome or Wiggins - seems to be saying something or wanting to do something that the Devil Incarnate Lance said or did, its leapt upon as proof postive that they're on the juice as he was. So the Twitterati* will love chewing over the fact that he's saying he wants to try to win the Tour 6 or 7 times. 'Just like Lance'.

*for example The Twitterati decided last year that the fact that Wiggins' dad abandoned him and his mother when he was a sprog 'just like Lance's dad did, was evidence that Wiggins was just like Lance in 'other ways'
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Now I'm not a photo editor or a graphic designer but it strikes me as a bit of a rubbish photo of a sprint finish when you crop off the sport's current best sprinter and leave just the tiniest fragment of his left arm poking out from the right hand side. Especially as he in fact won that stage.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    Me thoughts, too
    It's almost as though he doesn't read read internet forums - how dare he!
  • Richmond Racer
    RichN95 wrote:
    Me thoughts, too
    It's almost as though he doesn't read read internet forums - how dare he!

I knows! But the lovely and fragrant Mrs Fenton most definitely does :wink: