Dauphine - Stage 5 *Spoiler*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Here is a photo of Froome reacting. He is checking his power meter before he goes anaerobic for over 1min.
    266-PIC373124892.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's the new frontier in Ethical Cycling.

Busche in this instance was the collateral damage in someone else's war. Someone call the ICRC! :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Ps. If you look through the photos of that part of the climb, every rider has their pain face strapped. Froome isnt breathing.
    http://www.steephill.tv/2013/criterium- ... /stage-05/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Ten Dam knows how to push himself to the limit that`s for sure.
    335-IMG_2950_edited-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    rohandennis_zps3fad9c0d.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Does Froome have eyes in his forehead?
    Some riders do seem to be obsessed with their numbers...
    324-IMG_2933_edited-1.jpg
    http://www.grassyknolltv.com/2013/criterium-du-dauphine-libere/photos/stage-05/324-IMG_2933_edited-1.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Contador is stopping his watch there, shazzz.

Power meters should be banned in races. What’s next, KERS?

Ok. Thought we'd done this to death during T-A.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Here is a photo of Froome reacting. He is checking his power meter before he goes anaerobic for over 1min.
    Don't think so. He's looking straight down at his gears/feet, not something mounted in front of his bars.
  • adr82
    Ps. If you look through the photos of that part of the climb, every rider has their pain face strapped. Froome isnt breathing.
    And where on earth are you getting "not breathing" from? You're just making things up here.
  • Richmond Racer
    I’m new here. Could you point me to that discussion, Richmond Racer?

The last big discussion that I recall was when Froome won the T-A queen stage. So scroll back through the pages and take a look at the T-A Stage 4 spoiler thread around 10 March.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I’m new here.

MontyPythonRunAway.jpg
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    adr82 wrote:
    And where on earth are you getting "not breathing" from? You're just making things up here.

Oh no ... it's quite correct ... Froome took a final breath for the stage at the beginning of the climb and rode the whole way up with his mouth firmly clamped shut whilst humming "God Save the Queen"
    That's not a power meter he's got there - it's a teleprompt, reminding him of the tune ... he was just checking as the middle 8 bars can be a bit confusing - especially that run ... or it might have been the words for the 3rd verse ... damm tricky to remember you know ... :)
  • inkyfingers
    Like Chris Froome needs a prompt for God Save The Queen, bet he sang it every morning at boarding school.

No, he's got an ipad mini on his bike and he's reading Bikeradar, every time Frenchie posts something derogatory about him it motivates him even more.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Slowbike wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

Oh no ... it's quite correct ... Froome took a final breath for the stage at the beginning of the climb and rode the whole way up with his mouth firmly clamped shut whilst humming "God Save the Queen"
    That's not a power meter he's got there - it's a teleprompt, reminding him of the tune ... he was just checking as the middle 8 bars can be a bit confusing - especially that run ... or it might have been the words for the 3rd verse ... damm tricky to remember you know ... :)

Dont get me started on royalty (small R).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    What I found most interesting about yesterday's stage is that Sky looks nowhere near as strong in depth for the TdF mountain stages. 'The Sky train' seems a cliche these days, but apart from Kennaugh at the start of the climb there was only Porte left yesterday.

Who will Froome have in July in the high mountains apart from Porte?
    Cataldo, Uran, Henao and Sioutsou, maybe, but they'll be tired from a very tough Giro.
    Dombrowski and Boswell are way too young. Kennaugh hasn't shown too much in the high mountains yet. Kyrienka was good in March, but not so much since, and is nothing like he was last year.
    Thomas and Boasson H seem solid for the lower slopes, but not so much in the high mountains.
    Lopez?

Last year Wiggins had Froome, Porte and Rogers, none of whom had done the Giro and were completely saved for the TdF. It looks like even this year Wiggins had much better team support in the mountains than Froome will have in the TdF. Uran or Henao could pull through after the Giro, but it's hardly Sky leaving nothing to chance style...

Froome might not need it as much, but if something happens to Porte, Sky could look very exposed in the mountains.
    Contador will have Kreuziger, Rogers, Roche and Hernandez.
  • inkyfingers
    Reckon the Sky Express to Paris (Calling at Aix 3 Domaine, Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Annecy, then fast to Paris) will look something like this (order of carriages may vary).

Eisel, Thomas, Boassen-Hagen, Kennaugh,Lopez, Kiryenka, Porte, Froome

I think he'll be pretty well protected. As others have said, unless Froome has a stinker then other teams are going to have to be brave and take risks, like Contador did in the Vuelta. Even that it is easier said than done when Froome has such a strong team.
  • FJS
    Reckon the Sky Express to Paris (Calling at Aix 3 Domaine, Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Annecy, then fast to Paris) will look something like this (order of carriages may vary).

I think he'll be pretty well protected. As others have said, unless Froome has a stinker then other teams are going to have to be brave and take risks, like Contador did in the Vuelta. Even that it is easier said than done when Froome has such a strong team.
    I don't think that's a particularly strong team in the mountains, especially not compared to Sky in the TdF last year, Sky in the Giro this year, or Saxo in the Tour this year. Porte would be the only one capable of still being there if the group is reduced to say 20 riders. Sky last year, Sky in the Giro, have 3 or 4 helpers capable of that, as will Saxo in this year's TdF
  • Richmond Racer

Agree - that's my line-up, with Siutsou making the 9th rider if he's recovered enough.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    No, he's got an ipad mini on his bike and he's reading Bikeradar, every time Frenchie posts something derogatory about him it motivates him even more.

That's a cool idea. Like the Giro's Twitter stage - Tweets painted on the road, only a real-time FF BR Spoiler feed on the hoardings all the way up The Alpe.
    Edit: even better, send to the electronic time-gap display on the lead moto
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:

That's a cool idea. Like the Giro's Twitter stage - Tweets painted on the road, only a real-time FF BR Spoiler feed on the hoardings all the way up The Alpe.

A billboard with a different unsubstantiated slur on every corner. That's 21 billboards that need to be filled. :P
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Richmond Racer
    FJS wrote:

I don't think that's a particularly strong team in the mountains, especially not compared to Sky in the TdF last year, Sky in the Giro this year, or Saxo in the Tour this year. Porte would be the only one capable of still being there if the group is reduced to say 20 riders. Sky last year, Sky in the Giro, have 3 or 4 helpers capable of that, as will Saxo in this year's TdF

Perhaps you're judging what worked best last year for a very specific type of rider in Wiggins, with the idea of whittling down the front group to a very select bunch, and then basically riding his rivals off his and Froome's wheels - see Peyragudes - or finishing together - see Toussuire. Froome's more explosive and can turn on the gas, to either attack the front group, or to chase down a rival who pops off the front as per Contador yesterday.
  • inkyfingers
    FJS wrote:

Having lost Wiggins (and Froome having become leader) they are perhaps one strong mountain domestique down but then again this year they won't have to worry about getting Cavendish round France either and I doubt they'll take a sprinter (other than EBH). Lopez, Kiryenka and Porte are all likely to be there relatively late in the race, I don't think Saxo's team is really much stronger.
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:

Perhaps you're judging what worked best last year for a very specific type of rider in Wiggins, with the idea of whittling down the front group to a very select bunch, and then basically riding his rivals off his and Froome's wheels - see Peyragudes - or finishing together - see Toussuire. Froome's more explosive and can turn on the gas, to either attack the front group, or to chase down a rival who pops off the front as per Contador yesterday.

Absolutely, Froome is a different rider with different requirements.
    Just observing that if people lazily talk about an all-dominant Sky train in the mountains, that might not apply so much this year at the TdF. Sky's potential line up is still impressive, but they've used up a lot of their potential in the Giro. A TdF Saxo train is more likely.
    Still, if Porte crashes or punctures or gets ill, who's going to give Froome a wheel if he punctures 5 km from the summit at Alpe d'Huez? It's just all not very Sky cover-all-eventualities
  • adr82
    Macaloon wrote:

A billboard with a different unsubstantiated slur on every corner. That's 21 billboards that need to be filled. :P
    Only 21? He could fill those in the space of about 6 posts when he's on form!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    adr82 wrote:
    Only 21? He could fill those in the space of about 6 posts when he's on form!

I'm sure we can rely on our philosophy savants to fill any unexpected dead air.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    adr82 wrote:

Adr meet frenchie, frenchie meet adr
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • adr82
    ddraver wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

Adr meet frenchie, frenchie meet adr
    Oh I know the sort of thing he tends to come out with, but I looked through the photos as he suggested and there's absolutely no sign of Froome's lack of breathing. Usually there's some sort of tenuous link to reality in his posts, even if you have to struggle to find it.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    FJS wrote:

If possible they'll want to keep men with him - chasing Contador down in the last km is one thing, having to cover attacks from 2-3 GC favourites quite another. I expect to see the same tactic they used with Wiggins the only difference being that Froome has more potential to attack in the last km and win stages.

Potentially Sky have the firepower to do that too. Even without Wiggins the likes of Uran, Porte and Henao can all be there late on (i don't see riding the Giro as being a big deal for riding the Tour as a domestique) plus others mentioned above it seems to me they've got more than enough if the riders really want to work for Froome.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Contador has attacking form for nearly a decade which outweighs basically any negative thing anyone can say about him.
    ... and anything positive anyone can say about anyone else :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    For those who keep saying the Sky train has been less consipicuous, then that's because Froome is not Wiggins.

This is the Froome Modus Operandi

1. Burn off domestiques early, both his own and others so that at the 5km point the bunch is greatly thinned out.
    2. Look slightly vunerable and alone, with maybe Porte for company
    3. Wait for an attack from a danger man (or maybe more than one)
    4. Do not respond immediately (unless others take up the chase) - also engenders a sense of not taking responsiblity in the group
    5. Wait for a decent gap (maybe 10 secs) to open up
    6. Counter attack hard - using the attacker(s) as a target and a pacing guide.
    7. Bridge to the attacker(s) then ride with them or push on

He's done it time and again this season. It's smart. It discourages multiple attacks (and counterattacks after a short chase) and plays to Froome's strength of launching a single massive push.
    Twitter: @RichN95