Dauphine - Stage 5 *Spoiler*

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Macaloon wrote:
    The White Kenyan parlez les Francais??
    Frappez les crows avec stones, Jacques

His accent isn't bad either.
    Inrng mentioned on twitter that he's "always" spoken some French, but it's got much better recently as he's been living in Monaco.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'm glad for Kennaugh. A lot of people have known how good he is for a while but he's showing it on a really big stage. Only 23 as well.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'm glad for Kennaugh. A lot of people have known how good he is for a while but he's showing it on a really big stage. Only 23 as well.
    Is he still that young? It seems like he's be around for ages. Sounds like he's nailing down his Tour spot in this race.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Is he still that young? It seems like he's be around for ages. Sounds like he's nailing down his Tour spot in this race.

Hope so
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Talking of semis, Matt Keenan's got one for Richie Porte :wink:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Talking of semis, Matt Keenan's got one for Richie Porte :wink:

Yes it is a little obvious.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    edited June 2013
    Porte comes in 22secs down ... bloody impressive ...

Great ride by Busche ... Froome had no need to take the stage once he clipped Contador's wings ... It's the kind of thing that loses you a GT when on a bad day and every other team remembers these silly 'wins' ...

I think the psychological advantage of doing berties head in is worth it.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Damn Contador is stylish when he attacks. Pro.

Hardly stylish if it didnt stick. First over the line is the fastest/ most stylish. End of.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Mick Rogers really is looking good. Wonder if he will play the Porte role for Saxo and try and hang in as a 2nd GC rider.

And Konig continues to look good.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    mike6 wrote:

Hardly stylish if it didnt stick. First over the line is the fastest/ most stylish. End of.

Eh, what?

So Kiryienka isn't the most stylish rider in the peloton because he's not winning?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Frenchie wants cycling to be more like synchronized swimming with marks awarded for artistic impression rather than be judged on time.

It's shame as when he isn't being a complete tool, he contributes a lot to the board, but with the dominance of Sky and his hatred of them, he is being a tool more and more often. Shame really.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Thread ruined.

Is this going to happen every day in the Tour? Every spoiler thread turns into some petty Froome/Contador debate? It's going to be a long old Tour if thats the Case.

Froome is excellent.
    Contador is excellent.
    This year one is better than the other, so far.

End.

Right - I'm off to the clinic for some more reasoned debated....

This. We should be on the "peaking too early" debate at the moment shouldnt we.....or has that one been put to bed now?
  • above_the_cows
    Porte comes in 22secs down ... bloody impressive ...

Great ride by Busche ... Froome had no need to take the stage once he clipped Contador's wings ... It's the kind of thing that loses you a GT when on a bad day and every other team remembers these silly 'wins' ...

I think he psychological advantage of doing berties head in is worth it.

He sort of implied as much (well implied as much as he could in his improving yet still quite broken French). He said going for the stage win had been the aim that morning and then did a Cav style "and because my team were amazing I also had to win" type thing.
  • Turfle
    And if he didn't win, Contador would have; why on earth would Froome want that?
  • thomthom
    Well, let’s not get carried away now!

The trouble is, there’s no quicker way up a mountain than TTTing it, ignoring any and all attacks, and finishing with a sprint. Nobody, not even Contador, can beat Sky at that game. I would dearly love to see a bit more inventiveness and risk-taking from Saxo-Tinkoff. Disruptive action is needed. Early attacks – really early, not at 1.8 km to go – coordination with other like-minded teams, misleading or controversial comments to the media, etc. You need to have Sky hitting that last climb shaken and uncertain – otherwise it’s curtains.

The obvious question is whether Froome has peaked too early. Can he maintain this form for six weeks? Doubtful, in my view.

Wiggins managed to peak for 4 months in a row last year. Shouldn't be a problem for Sky and Froome..
  • thomthom
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Frenchie wants cycling to be more like synchronized swimming with marks awarded for artistic impression rather than be judged on time.

It's shame as when he isn't being a complete tool, he contributes a lot to the board, but with the dominance of Sky and his hatred of them, he is being a tool more and more often. Shame really.

Well, aren't you a nice fella'..
  • above_the_cows
    Dorset Boy wrote:

They should have to ride with ribbons, like Nibali here with the ribbon of the Maglia Rosa.

Rhythmic-Ribbon-1_zps40ddc3b2.jpg
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    ThomThom wrote:

The trouble is, there’s no quicker way up a mountain than TTTing it, ignoring any and all attacks, and finishing with a sprint. Nobody, not even Contador, can beat Sky at that game. I would dearly love to see a bit more inventiveness and risk-taking from Saxo-Tinkoff. Disruptive action is needed. Early attacks – really early, not at 1.8 km to go – coordination with other like-minded teams, misleading or controversial comments to the media, etc. You need to have Sky hitting that last climb shaken and uncertain – otherwise it’s curtains.

The obvious question is whether Froome has peaked too early. Can he maintain this form for six weeks? Doubtful, in my view.

Wiggins managed to peak for 4 months in a row last year. Shouldn't be a problem for Sky and Froome..

This. And Evans did pretty much the same the previous year.
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    ThomThom wrote:

Just because you win why does that mean you have peaked?

If all the GC riders are all aiming to peak at the tour (and in this race they are) then they are all on approximately the same place in their upward curve ...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    They should have to ride with ribbons, like Nibali here with the ribbon of the Maglia Rosa.
    Alternatively:
    thumb3_HBPOM2.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    adr82 wrote:
    Alternatively:
    thumb3_HBPOM2.jpg

Marginal gains :wink:
  • garyhoop1
    garyhoop1 Posts: 44
    Watch videos from Stage 5 of the Dauphine here - http://bit.ly/ZmoR1B
  • thomthom
    binkybike wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Just because you win why does that mean you have peaked?

If all the GC riders are all aiming to peak at the tour (and in this race they are) then they are all on approximately the same place in their upward curve ...

By that logic no one was peaking in in P-N, Romandie, Dauphine and Olympics. And I can assure you that here were riders that peaked in time these races were ridden.
  • Turfle
    edited June 2013
    A peak Wiggins doesn't beat Talansky and Westra by only a combined 20 seconds total at Paris-Nice and Romandie. Or by a total of 2 seconds over the two TTs.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    a cycling equivalent of Paula Radcliffe....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    philbar72 wrote:
    a cycling equivalent of Paula Radcliffe....
    Will he stop for a crap in the middle of the Champs Elysees?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Still, I do think Froome has peaked a little bit early, especially for such a skinny and probably fragile fellow.

Because Wiggins is a Mr Olympia contender? Give over.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227

Yea but since having to ditch being on the juice can't TT for toffee nor make them attacks stick.

Froomedog Topdog.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Just caught up with this. Watched delayed transmission. Great ride by Froome. In the context of the race, the onus was on Contador at nearly three minutes behind, to do something more than a single "stylish" attack with only 1k to go.

As for taking the stage, if Froome hadn't Contador would have so every reason for Froome to ride on. The only down side of today is that Contador is effectively so far behind at this stage in the year he may be tempted to go back to the butchers before the TdF.