Dauphine - Stage 5 *Spoiler*

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I am not a Sky fanboi, but I do find all this anti Sky rhetoric amusing. Sky, Froome, Wiggins, damned if they win damned if they dont.
    They win the wrong way, ie by using there domestiques to destroy the field? Oh the shame of it. Froome winning a mountain top stage and gaining a psychological advantage over Contador? No, you fool, he should have gifted the stage.
    Yea right.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ThomThom wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Damn Contador is stylish when he attacks. Pro.

Hardly stylish if it didnt stick. First over the line is the fastest/ most stylish. End of.

Eh, what?

So Kiryienka isn't the most stylish rider in the peloton because he's not winning?

I was not aware of race directors awarding points or prizes for style. I was commenting on the French persons post about Bertie being "stylish" and "Pro".
    Anyway, Contador is not stylish. Far too much head and upper body movement when climbing out of the saddle. Pantani, now he was stylish.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Its the cold dead-eye killer part of his personality that I don't like.

He's known for being a very polite well spoken but quiet guy.

Not the kind of person who'd tell his entire team to go F themselves. (obscure reference to thread a few days ago)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Macaloon wrote:
    And by the way, gifting stages to bank credit in the favour bank is as cold and calculating as screaming past an escapee 20m from the line, especially when it comes time to collect.

But it's also what makes the sport beautiful (when done correctly) ...

I agree with this too. I think it's fine in the context of the romance of the sport, and for an established star with a dazzling palmares. If Froome was to do it, having never won a GT, it would look patronising and complacent.

Edit Should have read to end before quoting this. There were quite a few other posts speculating on the grave consequences that could have been avoided if only Froome had gifted this stage.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    Froome waits for 1km banner and attacks. Lightweight. Zero to hero, ugly mofo.

I hope Contador rips him to pieces in the Tour. 50km attacks again and again.

Over 1min anaerobic effort just like in the Vuelta :roll:

So back someone who shoots his load too early or a steely tactician? Can I trade or play poker against you? all day long....
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    That must have been really cool to be on the Tourmalet that day. The Contador Schleck duel was the stuff of true cycling stories.

:lol:
  • Macaloon
    And he hadn't needed a serious talking from management on two stages to keep him towing the teamline?

It's not utter whatever
    I don’t know what will happen, but [Sergio] Henao and I are different than Froome. We always work for the team and we’ve never had any problems with the team,” Urán said. “We are not like Froome. I came here with the idea of helping the squad, whatever the goals may be. We shall see. We have to take it day by day

I don't feel the need to defend wiggo. It's plain to see Froome is a stronger rider who can dominate better than he can, I am just not a fan of his personality really. Probably completely unjustified.

I'm only referring to his performances on the road, per the youtube link. I don't really care about the behind the scenes stuff. who knows what's really going on?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Wait, it wasn't suggested that Froome should give Busche the victory today, right? That would be ridiculous.
    It was mostly Crankbrother - two or three posts around the page 6 or 7 mark.

Grass! (or at the very least astroturf) ...

Still stand by my statement, one of the very poorest wins I've seen in cycling ...
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    When criticising Froome for not gifting a stage, it's useful to remember he hasn't actually won that much until recently.
  • Crankbrother
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    When criticising Froome for not gifting a stage, it's useful to remember he hasn't actually won that much until recently.

I do agree with that but it doesn't fit with what should be Froome's bigger picture, especially if he's saying he is the leader/winner for the TdF ...
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    And Contador finished 2nd, not Busche.
  • Crankbrother
    Turfle wrote:

I know that, and he would have taken the win if he could ... But after the abysmal TT he needs to show something especially as he doesn't contribute WT points ... Froome had nothing to gain unless he's worried he'll blow the overall ...
  • Macaloon
    I'm watching the highlights and Brian and Carlton don't seem to have noticed that J-Rod is nowhere 5km to go. What happened to him? By the way Valverde was left dangling in a disgracefully unsporting manner between 4 and 2k to go. Funny.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Macaloon wrote:
    I'm watching the highlights and Brian and Carlton don't seem to have noticed that J-Rod is nowhere 5km to go. What happened to him?
    IIRC he had a puncture at/near the bottom of the climb and presumably never made it back up to the leaders.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Turfle wrote:

I know that, and he would have taken the win if he could ... But after the abysmal TT he needs to show something especially as he doesn't contribute WT points ... Froome had nothing to gain unless he's worried he'll blow the overall ...

You must have hated Eddy Merckx - all that unnecessary winning :roll:
  • Macaloon
    Ta for J-Rod info. It was an ideal setup for a shoot-out between all three. Pity.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    I would have liked Busche to win and I Froome would have been content to leave him out there and settle for the yellow jersey but as soon as Bertie attacked Froome took the chance to respond and score a psychological blow to follow up yesterday. Does anyone really think Bertie wouldn't have gone past Busche if Porte hadn't chased?

The Sky bashing has to continue, there wasn't much of a diesel train compared to last season but great work by little Pete and littler Richie and Froome won by counter attacking so the haters need to find something else. FFS someone even resorted to criticising their kit!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I block because I was finding it difficult not to respond to his tiresome trolling ... My continued participation just contributed to the noise that other posters find so tiresome - so I cut myself out of that.
    Kind of the same here. I want to engage rationally with him because he seems to love the sport, but it wasn't possible and I didn't want to be a dickhead in my responses.

Back to the racing - Rogers showing that he is a match for Porte as a no2? I mean, today when Porte pulled over, Contador had 3 with him. Kreuziger/Roche/Rogers/Sorenson/Hernandez/Majka- that is a potential train that could deliver Contador to 1km out as well as any Sky train. The hard bit for Contador is that today showed that out-jumping Froome is going to be hard and he isn't likely to out TT him....
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Just caught up with this and sure it's already been said, but Rohan Dennis - chapeau that man! What a ride from him in yellow. One to watch without a doubt. Also great to see Pete K back in the action. Froome looks badass.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Turfle wrote:

Times sure are changing when a mtf stage win in one of the biggest stage races is irrelevant.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Turfle wrote:

Surely all riders are in the sport to win races. So when a win is there for the taking, why turn it down?
    The Ster ZTM race is pretty small next week, but you won't see Cavendish and Greipel, with 200 wins between them, soft pedalling the sprints.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Imagine the grief Froome would get on here if he went on to win the race without winning the TT or a stage. He had the opportunity to win today so took it, he may not get that chance the rest of the race.

It's ridiculous to suggest that the Shack/Schleck will put in a turn for Contador at some point in the future as a result of Froome winning today, taking it from Busche, Contador would've taken the win if he could. Schleck might remember Contador dancing off when his chain was dropped (something I don't think Contador was at fault for doing).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I don’t think Froome did wrong by taking the stage, he was so concentrated on Contador (notice how energetically he tried to drop Contador before they reached Busche) it was inevitable he’d never relax in case Contador came back to take the lead. Psychological warfare. Also, irrespective of Contador, a stage win would have been a psychological boost to Froome. Thus he had to overtake Busche without a second thought.

Having said that though, I’m not sure any typical UK riders, probably many USA ones too, would ever think to ‘gift’ a stage until they’d been a while in the peloton, or in various teams, and thus learnt the concept of buckshee.
    The idea of doing such, especially with a tempting stage win as alternate, is foreign to UK behaviour. Until they might have learnt, I suspect Brits either don’t understand it, mistrust it, or find it puristically wrong.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Yummy. I've always wanted to set up a bakery on the Madeleine, that sells nothing but madeleines, is decorated with pictures of Proust and plays this all day long on the stereo. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEIHIsIhx6o
    If you’re into Proust and his madeleine stories, can you please also put some pictures of Ornella Muti on your café walls for me?
    (there is a connection to Proust and madeleines)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I have to say I'm still confused about this. I'm confused why it's even a discussion. Do Busche and Froome have a history? Are they mates off the bike? If not - none of this makes absolutely no sense at all. When did the riders start handing over stage wins to escapees in pure pity of being caught?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Are you lot still discussing whether it was right for a pro cyclist to want to win a race?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Macaloon
    It's the new frontier in Ethical Cycling.

Say what you like about him; he knows how to animate a thread.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Porte comes in 22secs down ... bloody impressive ...

Great ride by Busche ... Froome had no need to take the stage once he clipped Contador's wings ... It's the kind of thing that loses you a GT when on a bad day and every other team remembers these silly 'wins' ...

I think the psychological advantage of doing berties head in is worth it.

This.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

You mean in contrast to Contador's heroic attack from 1.2 kms out?
    And Contador needs to attack from further if he still wants to go for the win here. Agree that it would be nice to see a bit more attacking riding, here and in the TdF
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    FJS wrote:

You mean in contrast to Contador's heroic attack from 1.2 kms out?
    And Contador needs to attack from further if he still wants to go for the win here. Agree that it would be nice to see a bit more attacking riding, here and in the TdF

More like 1.5km. It was 1.3km when he went and that is based off the first rider on the road.

Froome reacted not initiated.

Movistar and Sky`s pace setting deterred attacks on what I said was a perfect climb for a train and not for attacks.

Contador is out of form as the TT showed. He could have sat back and rode wheels.

Contador has attacking form for nearly a decade which outweighs basically any negative thing anyone can say about him.
    Contador is the Greatest