Brian Cookson to run for UCI President

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Looks like he's serious.

'course, how much actually is made public and how much is used privately to ensure Pat & particularly Hein shuffle off quietly without fuss is a different matter...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Comedy gold. From start:
    "Pat McQuaid who had a reputation in cycling administration for being far from computer-literate." to finish
    "In one incident he inadvertently sent an email, intended for his secretary, to Danish cyclist Michael Rasmussen instead saying the rider should be told to “f*** off”.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/mcquaids-laptop-seized-minutes-after-being-axed-as-uci-chief-611167.html

Having made such a hoo-ha of deploying noted WMD heavies, Kroll, Cookson really should have a solid plan for using the info.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Kroll nabbed McQuaid's laptop too

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/o ... an-cookson

Dont suppose he had Pro Cycling Manager on it
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kroll nabbed McQuaid's laptop too

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/o ... an-cookson

Dont suppose he had Pro Cycling Manager on it

Which probably contained nothing at all

If I was cynical, I'd suggest they didn't just secure it to stop anything being destroyed but to prevent anything they didn't want out there getting out.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • yeah, but cynicism - unrelenting or otherwise - just isnt you
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Cookson could do with a couple of non-lethal zingers - sins of omission - to leak from the Independent Commission, to enhance its independence. That and fessing up to limitations in the passport with a plan to fix them. Seem like fairly easy steps that would buy plenty of time to do real stuff.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I cant believe how much Fat Pat was on..no wonder he was hanging on with everything he had. An outrageous amount of money to spend for what they do imo.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-ann ... ns-pay-cut
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    I cant believe how much Fat Pat was on..no wonder he was hanging on with everything he had. An outrageous amount of money to spend for what they do imo.

I thought it was about right, for the job.

Is BC's salary ok?
  • frenchfighter
    I reckon it is a too much particularly as I can imagine there are a good handful of others on similarly inflated salaries, albeit not as much as that. I dont have much knowledge of salaries for these sorts of jobs in other sports but relative to cycling`s monetary status in addition to what the UCI does it seems rather steep.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72 wrote:

I thought it was about right, for the job.

Is BC's salary ok?
    I suspect there 's a pay spine for the post and whereas Pat's salary had increased over the years BC is having to start at the bottom.

Salary seems quite small for the head of a global organisation.
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2013
    I forgot to mention that another reason I find it ridiculous is that they are a non-profit organisaztion.

See point 3.2.1.1 here:
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... E&LangId=1

Nb. if anyone has the latest report please post up. Staggering amount from World Champs.
    edit: 2011: http://www.uci.ch/Files/2011_annual_rep ... index.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BC's new salary seems perfectly acceptable for the head of a sports governing body - slightly on the low side, if anything

Been trying to see that the likes of the head of the ITF gets, but like all these private organisations its very difficult to track down
  • iainf72
    I reckon it is a too much particularly as I can imagine there are a good handful of others on similarly inflated salaries, albeit not as much as that. I dont have much knowledge of salaries for these sorts of jobs in other sports but relative to cycling`s monetary status in addition to what the UCI does it seems rather steep.

The average in FIFA in the top tier is over a million per year

The head of the UCI is probably about the 40'th best paid person in cycling. Doesn't that seem about right?
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

The average in FIFA in the top tier is over a million per year

The head of the UCI is probably about the 40'th best paid person in cycling. Doesn't that seem about right?

Comparing it to the biggest sport in the World is somewhat misleading. 40th including cyclists? Absolutely not right then. Where would Fifa people be compared to footballers? Somewhere well down the list.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I forgot to mention that another reason I find it ridiculous is that they are a non-profit organisaztion.

See point 3.2.1.1 here:
    http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... E&LangId=1

Nb. if anyone has the latest report please post up. Staggering amount from World Champs.
    That it's a non-profit organisation is irrelevant to the discussion. Non-profit organisations still need to employ the best people to perform its tasks and help generate income to either retain a a surplus or reinvest in the organisation.
  • frenchfighter
    You are correct up to a point but the reality is you will find a whole raft of overpaid people in non-profit organisations. There is little accountability.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The cost of living in Switzerland is generally higher, particularly rent. 90-100k CHF probably gets you a lifestyle similar to £35-40k a year in the South of england. That said we dont know if the UCI are paying for rent and health care or other factors on their behalf which have the potential to make significant differences to the quoted amounts.

If Mcquaid had to provide his own accommodation but Cooksons is paid for, it could expain almost the full difference.
  • frenchfighter
    The cost of living in Switzerland is generally higher, particularly rent. 90-100k CHF probably gets you a lifestyle similar to £35-40k a year in the South of england. That said we dont know if the UCI are paying for rent and health care or other factors on their behalf which have the potential to make significant differences to the quoted amounts.

If Mcquaid had to provide his own accommodation but Cooksons is paid for, it could expain almost the full difference.

All fair points in general.

I wonder why the UCI are over there? To appear neutral, financial reasons, logistics?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    I tell you what FF, when I see you at the Water Poet I might be carrying a pitchfork to run you out of the City. You're one of those guys on the floor with a copy of Das Kapital on your desk, aren't you? :P
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone know why costs for payroll were 50% higher in 09 than 10 and 11?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    I tell you what FF, when I see you at the Water Poet I might be carrying a pitchfork to run you out of the City. You're one of those guys on the floor with a copy of Das Kapital on your desk, aren't you? :P

Lol, I am certainly not a hard-nosed capitalist thats for sure but neither am I a deluded communist!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    If Cookson can push forward with at least a quarter of his pledges in any meaningful way - without the whiff of scandal or corruption - he's cheap at twice the price.
  • Anyone know why costs for payroll were 50% higher in 09 than 10 and 11?
    As I mentioned earlier there may be a pay spine for the post and Pat had progressed up that pay spine through his years of service, BC may be having to start at the bottom.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I wonder why the UCI are over there? To appear neutral, financial reasons, logistics?
    Tax.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    As I mentioned earlier there may be a pay spine for the post and Pat had progressed up that pay spine through his years of service, BC may be having to start at the bottom.

Payroll 09: 9m
    Payroll 10: 6m
    Payroll 11: 6m
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anyone know why costs for payroll were 50% higher in 09 than 10 and 11?

Apologies ff, I misunderstood your questions.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    If Cookson can push forward with at least a quarter of his pledges in any meaningful way - without the whiff of scandal or corruption - he's cheap at twice the price.

Bingo, OCDP
  • frenchfighter

Apologies ff, I misunderstood your questions.

It would be a mighty big pay raise if so! I would be surprised if he tried to wangle some such ridiculousness though, shady weasel that he is.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    It always amazes me how people are so understanding of people in sport`s salaries. These same people grinding away on 35k salaries. Then the vitriol they reserve when it comes to someone in finance, where you get paid according to what you generate - one of the most meritocratic jobs out there. Some people need to get their houses in order I suppose.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Then the vitriol they reserve when it comes to someone in finance, where you get paid according to what you generate - one of the most meritocratic jobs out there.
    Part of the vitriol is because of how they generated it.

Personally, I'm glad the position is well paid. It means you should get good calibre people interested in doing it. If it paid 40k it would only attract the inadequate or corrupt. It's like when people complain about MPs' pay - do you want someone cheap or someone good - because you're unlikely to get both.
    Twitter: @RichN95