Giro Stage 15 - **Spoiler**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Well that's the final touch to make it look like a Sunday club run, a few sit in sprinters going for the sprint to the top. I assume club rules are they have to wait at the top?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Shows you just how fit these guys are, I would be really happy with a 30kp/h average...

I like the way some teams have got the spare wheels perched in the snow :-)
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    ThomThom wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Wow lots of negativity. Have any of you lot ever been cycling, skiing or driving in the Alps when there is snow? I'm one of the most kamikaze descenders on both skis and a bike, however on a day like today I can fully understand their trepidation. Snowmelt on the corners creates massive problems when descending. Better to get down safely than not at all. At least we have them going up 2 iconic cols today.

The roads are absolutely fine right now. They have been through more dangerous descents ealier in this race when it was constantly raining.

Yes, but there is no point racing up the climb if you all have to crawl down the other side.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Those riders won't be stopped. Break of the day.
    The descent will be fine.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    Lovely and sunny at the finish. Looks stunning.
  • Pross
    ThomThom wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    Wow lots of negativity. Have any of you lot ever been cycling, skiing or driving in the Alps when there is snow? I'm one of the most kamikaze descenders on both skis and a bike, however on a day like today I can fully understand their trepidation. Snowmelt on the corners creates massive problems when descending. Better to get down safely than not at all. At least we have them going up 2 iconic cols today.

The roads are absolutely fine right now. They have been through more dangerous descents ealier in this race when it was constantly raining.

This. There doesn't seem to be a ice risk as spectators are stood at the top in shorts. Far worse stages earlier in the race when people were slating Wiggins for his lack of descending prowess. They are racing now they reach the top / descent, makes no sense at all. If anyone does slide out on a bend at least they've got a soft landing and less risk of going over the edge! :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    WOW

snow-2_zps02ec8f07.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Safety's just been an excuse hasnt it? They re just in a huff!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Alan A wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

Yes, but there is no point racing up the climb if you all have to crawl down the other side.

What? They don't have to crawl down the other side. The roads are perfectly fine? That's why it made no sense to neutralize the climb. It couldn't have been for the sake of safety, meaning they neutralized the climb because some people are tired and sick and in danger of losing out on the time cut - which is bad luck but shouldn't ruin the first part of the stage, really.
  • blazing_saddles
    Good, safe descent, no?

Weening is already down and off the mountain. Easy.
  • alan_a
    ThomThom wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

What? They don't have to crawl down the other side. The roads are perfectly fine? That's why it made no sense to neutralize the climb. It couldn't have been for the sake of safety, meaning they neutralized the climb because some people are tired and sick and in danger of losing out on the time cut - which is bad luck but shouldn't ruin the first part of the stage, really.

Having seen them go down that descent I stand utterly corrected. Feck all wrong with those roads. Bunch of pussies.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Good, safe descent, no?

Can't argue.

Hell of a job by the organisers/authorities getting that cleared and safe.

There could have been a discussion before the stage started and a gentleman's agreement re cut off.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    Weening already down to bare arms and legs. The temperature will rise by another 5C, by St Michel du Maurienne.
    They should have asked me. I know these roads so well! :D
  • ddraver
    Should have watched the XCO! Epic race won in True Champion Style!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:

True champions don't ride bikes with knobbly tyres.
  • Pross
    Love the drinks bike. I want one in front of me on all my rides.
  • frenchfighter
    Good to see you in a good mood today Pross.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    6mins to:
    Weening, Rambo (Rabbotini), Pirazzi (Pirate in Italian), Visconti (Viscount), Chalapud (Nice pudding), Bongiorno (Hello), Rubiano (Finally!)

52km to race and Astana out for a Sunday stroll on the front of the peloton. Riding through lush green valley right now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Someone should tell Marianne Vos! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    You know, those who would intend to struggle, like Cavendish, on the final climb to come. Maybe they should head down a descent such as this as fast as they can. Would be fun to see. Too much effort I suppose and too much chance of someone GC dangerous sneaking in with them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Been out on the bike for the first time since my morale got destroyed in the Beacon Little Mountain TT 3 weeks ago. Beautiful weather, fantastic quiet lumpy roads around Monmouthshire in stunning scenery and the company of riding with my best mate for the first time in 15 years. Even finding myself locked out and having to scale a fence to get in the house when I got back couldn't spoil my mood. Don't worry though, work tomorrow so normal service will be resumed.
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Someone should tell Marianne Vos! ;)

She has to keep busy during retirement :lol:
  • ddraver
    Wish I could retire at 24...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    You know, those who would intend to struggle, like Cavendish, on the final climb to come. Maybe they should head down a descent such as this as fast as they can. Would be fun to see. Too much effort I suppose and too much chance of someone GC dangerous sneaking in with them.

According to Cav's biography, they usually do. The best descenders are (according to him) the TTers and Sprinters who have to descend like demons to get back on to the autobus
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:
    Been out on the bike for the first time since my morale got destroyed in the Beacon Little Mountain TT 3 weeks ago. Beautiful weather, fantastic quiet lumpy roads around Monmouthshire in stunning scenery and the company of riding with my best mate for the first time in 15 years. Even finding myself locked out and having to scale a fence to get in the house when I got back couldn't spoil my mood. Don't worry though, work tomorrow so normal service will be resumed.

Great stuff!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alan_a
    Pross wrote:
    Love the drinks bike. I want one in front of me on all my rides.

I think DQ gets all his commentary talking points from this forum. He's just been blethering about the drinks bike too.
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:

According to Cav's biography, they usually do. The best descenders are (according to him) the TTers and Sprinters who have to descend like demons to get back on to the autobus

I meant to add 'in front of the peloton', who will eventually catch them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    It is good that the roads are closed for the descents.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Wow, Pozzato is riding....
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lotto have their whole team on the front. Not sure why. Maybe they want to get home quicker.

Gap crumbled to 2.30

AG2R helping out too as Pozzo and Betancur will be up for attacking.

Very fast.
    Contador is the Greatest