Giro Stage 15 - **Spoiler**

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    AFP are confirming, via French officials that the Galibier and the Col du Mont Cenis have been withdrawn from tomorrow' stage. RCS are scrambling to come up with a new route.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    UK Cycling Expert ‏@ukcyclingexpert 6m
    Giro tour operator has realised that Mount Galibier actually in France, not Italy, as first thought. Mistake corrected, Galibier cancelled!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    :D:D:D in other news -

Le Dauphiné reporter @PhCourt says Sunday's #Giro stage will finish in Les Verneys, just above Valloire and start of Galibier pass
    2:25 p.m. Sat, May 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    So, an hour and a half's racing over a whole weekend.
    I'll bet Zomegnan is laughing up his sleeve, right now.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    latest is that tommorrow might be cancelled. There's your rest day.
  • blazing_saddles
    Right, so the latest from the rumour mill (inrng) is, having said Mont Cenis is out, it's actually in, but with some, or all of it neutralised. Possibly even 75kms of 145kms, not raced.
    Stage finish at Les Granges du Galibier (2300m) but no spectators allowed past Plan Lachat.(2000m)

Frankly, I'll believe it when I see it, or perhaps like today, when Rai tell me what's going on.
    ThomThom wrote:
    latest is that tommorrow might be cancelled. There's your rest day.

But for it being the weekend, scheduled tv being what it is and hotel reservations being what they are, I would say this would be the sensible thing to do.
    Construct a completely new stage for Monday and toughen up Tuesdays stage. (the current finishing town being the start of the Opora climb, for example)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Never quite worked out how it is safe to take a race convoy over mountains in bad weather neutralised if it is unsafe to race.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Finish now at the Pantani memorial according to Inner ring
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    knedlicky wrote:
    (like I think happened maybe 5-10 years ago in the TdF when in the same area?)
    1996 one almost exactly the same roads, Riis won the stage to Sestriere.
    8th July 1996 Tour de France - Stage 9 Val-D'Isere to Sestrieres 189.5 Km's
    In the event of the Blizzards and Gale Force winds to cancel the climbs over the Iseran and the Galibier.
    The stage to be reduced to 46 Km's from the tiny hamlet Le Monêtier-les-Bains halfway down the Col du Lautaret to Sestrieres.
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's funny how everyone can put on their black and white glasses and look back to 88 and think the Gavia was amazing, when in reality it should've been canned.
    I didn't say it was amazing but just made the point that it was run 3 weeks later.
    The Dam Gavia stage was in June, got the idea yet.
    So what the hell are they moaning about with snow a month earlier than the1988 Giro and nearly 2 months earlier than stage 9 1996.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • tailwindhome
    STAGE 15: CESANA – COL DU GALIBIER
    STATEMENT BY THE RACE DIRECTORS

Following the order by the Valloire Prefecture, and taking note that – after 24 hours, following the assessment of the weather conditions – the Prefecture itself has revised its position, by authorizing the original course of stage 15, the Direction of the Giro d'Italia integrally confirms the original itinerary except for the last 4,250 kms.
    The finish will therefore be set in Les Granges du Galibier - Monumento Pantani (Pantani Monument).
    The start, initially scheduled for 12:30 pm, is rescheduled to 1:00 pm.

Considering the ever-changing weather conditions, should the weather deteriorate during the night, the Direction of the Giro reserves the right to make further modifications in order to protect the riders’ and caravan’s safety.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Adam Hansen ‏@HansenAdam 25m
    Whats the goss out there for 2morrows stage? I heard they changed it 2 a 50km Crit in the hotel basement carpark?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    ... the last 4,250 kms.

It must have been a long stage then
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Around 2006 walkers were hit by an avalanche walking on the Galibier road in mid May. 1 dead if memory serves me correctly. Having a finish in mid-May at the Tunnel was always going to be a bit of a marginal to be honest.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    French news yesterday was reporting the stage could finish ... (if things really improve) at the Pantani memorial, which I think is at the hamlet of Granges, about halfway between Plan Lachat and the summit.
    STAGE 15: CESANA – COL DU GALIBIER
    STATEMENT BY THE RACE DIRECTORS
    The finish will therefore be set in Les Granges du Galibier - Monumento Pantani (Pantani Monument).
    That’s good – apart from a km near the very top, the steepest bit of Galibier is those 3.5 km between Plan Lachat and Granges.
  • tailwindhome
    Seems as if they're racing the route as originally planned but stopping short on the Galiber.

There was some talk that Mont Cenis would be neutralised but it seems to be safe to race now.

Excellent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... BAzRKnH1fE

(via Inner Ring)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Snowed a few cm overnight. Won't have settled too much on the roads. Sunny now.

http://valloire.livecam360.com/setaz
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
  • tailwindhome
    Thread title changed.
  • blazing_saddles
    It's confirmed that they'll do (almost) the entire original stage:
    15etaperevideret.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    Great stuff. Bring on the pain faces.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Good news.

For Nibs.
  • tailwindhome
    http://instagram.com/giroditalia/#

Some good images of today's finish line in there.

(Can't get the individual images to post)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    still really looking forward to this stage despite the uncertainty of the last couple of weeks. Hopefully there will be a good Nibs -Uran slug out to lift the race from the doldrums
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 2h
    Never want to feel again how I did yesterday! Totally empty. Lucky to have an amazing @opqscyclingteam & some great friends @taylorphinney.

taylorphinney .@MarkCavendish the fact you finished yday's brutality after such an impressive 2 weeks is a testament to what a true champion you are Mark.

--

You need friends in this sport

--

There was talk about riders being unhappy with the conditions set for the descent of the col du mont cenis, with sub zero temperatures
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    Really is just a race for 3rd spot on the podium now.

1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 57:20:52
    2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:26
    3 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky Procycling 0:02:46
    4 Mauro Santambrogio (Ita) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia 0:02:47
    5 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:03:53
    6 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida 0:04:55
    7 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Ag2R La Mondiale 0:05:12
    8 Rafal Majka (Pol) Team Saxo-Tinkoff 0:05:32
    9 Carlos Alberto Betancur Gomez (Col) Ag2R La Mondiale 0:05:39
    10 Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team 0:05:51

Shame. I expected it to be a boring Wiggins win, got the hopes up when he started to struggle, now it's just a boring Nibali win.

Sanchez seems to be improving - hope he gets a stage win.
    Nibs to take the win today.
    Santambrogio to take 3rd

The Cav/Cadel battle for Red may be interesting.

Frenchie has never tested positive for twitter :wink:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 2h
    Never want to feel again how I did yesterday! Totally empty. Lucky to have an amazing @opqscyclingteam & some great friends @taylorphinney.

taylorphinney .@MarkCavendish the fact you finished yday's brutality after such an impressive 2 weeks is a testament to what a true champion you are Mark.

--

You need friends in this sport

--

There was talk about riders being unhappy with the conditions set for the descent of the col du mont cenis, with sub zero temperatures

People give Cavendish a lot of stick but at least he does try try to ride the whole race, I remember when Cipollini abandoned the tour after the first week or so and sent the other riders pictures of him sitting on the beach!
  • blazing_saddles
    Fine, sunny but very cold at the start.
    Live coverage delayed by 2 hours at the minimum.
    Not worth wasting another fine afternoon second guessing RAI.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    Eurosport have the stage as live in their listings (tv guide ) but are showing premier calender.

Does anyone have any idea if or when they will show it?
  • tailwindhome
    diplodicus wrote:
    Eurosport have the stage as live in their listings (tv guide ) but are showing premier calender.

Does anyone have any idea if or when they will show it?

scheduled for 1.30pm
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    Thanks