Giro stage 13 SPOILER

123457»

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    MrTapir wrote:
    garyhoop1 wrote:
    Videos from the Giro so far including todays Stage 13 - http://bit.ly/137KqEf

Thanks for this, work plus dodgy streaming meant I didnt see the whole finish.

Just heard a cracking Quigleyism:

"Katusha are taking it up, could it be that Luca Paolini has something left at the end of this stage?"
    *four seconds elapse*
    "Luca Paolini drops out of contention".

Quigley cycling bingo anyone?

I dont know who is who out of the commentators but the Eurosport commentary is an absolute shambles. Really need to sort it out.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 2h
    It's true @MarkCavendish can be a polemic figure in the peloton, but there are also times when he's the most respected. Today being one.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 186
    Take a bow son, awesome.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • David Millar ‏@millarmind 2h
    It's true @MarkCavendish can be a polemic figure in the peloton, but there are also times when he's the most respected. Today being one.
    I think he means "polarising figure", though I guess Cav is no stranger to a bit of polemic :lol:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think he means "polarising figure", though I guess Cav is no stranger to a bit of polemic :lol:

Heh.

David's opinion has softened somewhat...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Can someone please tell me where i can see more than 2 mins of highlights?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    iainf72 wrote:

Heh.

Do they have history?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pross wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Cav isn't the strongest, as evidenced by his power output which is below most of his rivals. He doesn't need to be, because he is more aero, gets in a better position (more aero again), lighter than many of the others, and times his attacks better. He goes faster with less strength.
    And I'm a Cav fan.

I also agree with points comments about the hating - let's keep it friendly.
    Well I guess the english language can be confusing :D If you mean strenght in terms of power out, yes, Cav is not the strongest as some bigger guys output higher wttage, but then again as they are larger they need more power to move heavier weight, if you look at Cav's power to weight ratio it will :D be quite high.
    But strongest can also mean accumulation of strengths making him the "strongest" such as aero position, tactics, positioing etc all of which add up to make him the "strongest" sprinter, hence winning most.

I took Blazing's comment to me strength in terms of sprint strength i.e. sustaining the sprint for a long time. Both 1st and 2nd place did well to sustain long sprints but Cav got the faster kick. It was pretty impressive seeing someone stick with him so well as usually, once he gets in front no-one can live with him.

Thank you, Pross. That is exactly what I meant. Nothing in it condescending towards Cav.
    I simply prefer to make a general observation of the sprint, rather from the standpoint of a solitary rider.
    I don't consider this to be flawed logic.
    IF I were talking about the last 30kms, I would say Cav was incredibly strong today.
    I did not take it as condescending towards Cav, I just thought Cav was the strongest in all aslpects today as he did very well to get over some testing climbs (testing for sprinters) where quite a few riders struggled, and still won a long sprint (over 300m).
    I think some guys do not realise how good he can actually climb if theres a sniff of a chance he will get chance to sprint, though as he said in his post race interview, this type of stage knackeres him for days. This is why he rides climbing stages in the groupetto and does not push in TT's.
  • oldwelshman
    iainf72 wrote:

Heh.

Do they have history?
    Yeah Millar struggled up box hill last climb in olympics and team GB waited for him and lost gold :wink:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Love he way he bounced a couple of other riders to keep his position a few hundred metres out.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • oldwelshman
    Daz555 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Cavendish must really want this jersey. Good man!

Three things Cav wants:

1. Olympic medal (must be gold )
    2. Record number of Tour stage wins
    3. Red jersey to match his wins in Tour / Vuelta

I'm starting to think #1 is the most unlikely now
    Olympic gold for Cav? Returning to the track for Rio could possibly do it for him but then he'd lose 2 seasons of road racing....would he want it enough?

It's a hell of a risk isn't it.
    Not sure what event he would ride?
    I don't think he would make TP as other younger faster riders there, and not sure he's good enough for omnium.