Giro Stage 12 - Spoilers

1234568»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    morstar wrote:
    Assuming Wiggins is clean, ever thought of the palmares he's been deprived of on the road by dopers rather than just implying he fluked a win in 2012. Anybody remember 2 hour TT's in a GT for starters? Who might that have benefitted if not Wiggins?

He didn't really try on the road til things got a bit cleaner anyway so I'd say he wasn't robbed of anything
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    iainf72 wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Assuming Wiggins is clean, ever thought of the palmares he's been deprived of on the road by dopers rather than just implying he fluked a win in 2012. Anybody remember 2 hour TT's in a GT for starters? Who might that have benefitted if not Wiggins?

He didn't really try on the road til things got a bit cleaner anyway so I'd say he wasn't robbed of anything

I am well aware of that but do you not think there's arguably a cause and effect relationship between the two?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Lammertink:
    ”It was terrible when I saw Cavendish beside me. We actually thought we’d make it to the finish”

8745432706_cd2078661d.jpg
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Right, you lot. I'm off to Italy tomorrow morning to follow the rest of the race through to Brescia.

Any requests for pics? I'll try to post some most days.
    Your vino e formaggio picnic while waiting on the roadside for the riders to appear would be great. One of your pasta (or polenta) dish in the evening too, please.
    Any which show the crowd atmosphere, or route road and surrounding landscape. Santambrogio on the podium after his stage victory, Evans powering around a corner in the TT, Nibali approaching the finish with the Tre Cime in the background.
    One on a stage morning showing you and others struggling up some climb to find the best viewing spot, to prove you were really there (hope you’re riding part of the stages in advance each day!)

Molto divertimento!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Right, you lot. I'm off to Italy tomorrow morning to follow the rest of the race through to Brescia.

Bak.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898

Just take what you can, always good to see photos from a spectators point of view, hope the weather is not too bad for you & have a good trip
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Take any pictures of just your food and you're dead to me.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549

Take any pictures of just your food and you're dead to me.

@TeamSkyChef is crying.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I don't understand why there is suspicion about Wiggins. It is only the inverse of Cuddles from last year i.e good to shite as opposed to cuddles shite to good.

I think he's a bit poorly, his training may not have been as good as he thought and that it is patently obvious that TT'ing on gradients above 15% is a non-starter.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Just watched 90 minutes of todays dull stage while Mrs Mooro tried on four dresses for a wedding we are off to shortly. Jeesh .... never getting that time back!

Anway, some nice touches in the peleton today, a couple of shots of other riders (AG2R and Garmin i think) pushing wiggins back onto the last man of the sky train. Good to see some sportsmanship and empathy.

Wiggins is obviously knackered, and i guess we will never know if it is because he isn't on form and pushing himself too much, or just unlucky and picked up something round the camp. Same as Evans from 2012.

Some odd criticism of our ginge* on here which is obviously based on ignorance...

* for the record I am not a hairist
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Mooro wrote:
    Just watched 90 minutes of todays dull stage while Mrs Mooro tried on four dresses for a wedding we are off to shortly. Jeesh .... never getting that time back!

Anway, some nice touches in the peloton today, a couple of shots of other riders (AG2R and Garmin i think) pushing wiggins back onto the last man of the sky train. Good to see some sportsmanship and empathy.

Wiggins is obviously knackered, and i guess we will never know if it is because he isn't on form and pushing himself too much, or just unlucky and picked up something round the camp. Same as Evans from 2012.

Some odd criticism of our ginge* on here which is obviously based on ignorance...

Its obvious that he's ill - you don't got from 2nd (would have been a win without the puncture!) in a GT time trial to struggling to stay in the main bunch on a flat 130km stage through 'lack of form'

Especially when you consider that even though he lost time on the first mountain finish, it was still a respectable amount for a rider of his type on such extreme gradients.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    I agree with ALIHISGREAT, this is not just Brad having some off-days.
    Things were very different back in the day, before the advent of the leadout train, I doubt Cav would have the success he has had without his train doing all the work. I'm not saying is he isnt a great sprinter but comparing him to other sprinters who were also good all rounders is problematic I would have thought.
    By "back in the day" do you mean the 1960s? I think you'll find even in the 70s Peter Post's Raleigh were trying to set up a precursor to the 'train'.

It's funny how Cavendish can win and win and win yet some people still can't totally acknowledge it. The other sprinters know it, the commentators know it... The on-board camera from the Champs Elysees in 2010 shows the difference - Hushovd is being led out very well but then on the far side this white & yellow flash hurtles past like Hushovd is on a go-slow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpvh691lxV0
    And it's not like the other teams don't have dedicated leadout riders.

And this cr@p about him not winning without a leadout train :roll: How many times does he have to win without one before people admit that he can? On stage 1 of this Giro he closed the gap himself, had to go the (very) long way round a peeled-off Hondo and STILL won ahead of Viviani and Bouhanni.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Mooro wrote:

Anway, some nice touches in the peloton today, a couple of shots of other riders (AG2R and Garmin i think) pushing wiggins back onto the last man of the sky train. Good to see some sportsmanship and empathy.

Its obvious that he's ill - you don't got from 2nd (would have been a win without the puncture!) in a GT time trial to struggling to stay in the main bunch on a flat 130km stage through 'lack of form'

Especially when you consider that even though he lost time on the first mountain finish, it was still a respectable amount for a rider of his type on such extreme gradients.

Ali - I agree he is ill and i a bit gutted about it tbh. I am just curious about the root cause. Either it is bad luck and he has picked something up from riders around him or isnt quite t that level and has pushed himself too much into the red keeping up? Being on top form is not just about top speed but also about our body being able to recover from the daily stresses the race puts on you.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    chrisday wrote:

Cipo: the leadout train, the concept of which was pioneered for him + huge dopage + a Giro that was designed year after year with lots and lots of flat sprint stages

A winning formula

Emm... Cipo did not invent the "lead out train"... I guess you guys were not around when Superconfex were doing their thing for Jean Paul van Poppel and Panasonic for Vanderaarden :roll: :roll:

EDIT: I just see Morstar knew of Superconfex :D
    www.dotcycling.com
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Just seen that Wiggins has retired from the race. Not a big surprise.
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • GentlemanBear
    GentlemanBear Posts: 280
    Uran for the win - if only to rescue my fantasy team :oops:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    12e_2945525.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    555-GM1_4697.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Mooro wrote:
    Mooro wrote:

Ali - I agree he is ill and i a bit gutted about it tbh. I am just curious about the root cause. Either it is bad luck and he has picked something up from riders around him or isnt quite t that level and has pushed himself too much into the red keeping up? Being on top form is not just about top speed but also about our body being able to recover from the daily stresses the race puts on you.

Dude it sucks but even Knights of the Realm get ill. It's disappointing and will mean that the rest of the race is a snooze fest of a Nibali win, but that's sport. Hey ho. Lets hope we get some good stages nonetheless.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver