Giro Stage 12 - Spoilers

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Weather is so sh1tty theres talk of altering part of the course
    Finishing times are to be based on when they pass the 3 km out mark, in order to help prevent the likelihood of crashes in the sprint.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Are they ditching the time bonuses as well?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    for fark sake... its only pissing rain
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    The rain on the plain falls mainly on Cav's train.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    emadden wrote:
    for fark sake... its only pissing rain

I've cycled to work in heavy traffic in worse...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I cycled my bicycle in rain once and it was really easy.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    CN ticker says Cav looking for his 100th win - I thought that was a few races back?
    Or does is depend on which chippers count?
  • emadden
    I did 4 hours in pissing rain last night ... seriously.... ok, its a bit warmer out here :-) But it aint exactly snowing, or MSR type weather
    www.dotcycling.com
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    CN ticker says Cav looking for his 100th win - I thought that was a few races back?
    Or does is depend on which chippers count?

Looks like it was a bone of contention over some race, his mate Rob Hayles had this to say on twitter earlier

Rob Hayles ‏@robhayles1 3h
    Bone of contention over official race wins by @MarkCavendish . Well I just spoke with him now, and his actual words to me were.....

Rob Hayles ‏@robhayles1 3h
    "Rob! I've won more bike races than you've had hot dinners". So there you have it. Case closed #giro

Rob Hayles ‏@robhayles1 1h
    Obviously Cav knows how much I eat, so didn't compare his wins to my consumption. But his next win will be the big Century.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    edited May 2013
    Massive stack there on that right hander 4 riders down & only 1 made it around safely looked proper wet and maybe a bit greasy.

Edited
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Whoops, its obviously slippy :)
  • emadden
    mfin wrote:

Its the ice :-)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • mfin
    Wasn't a crash, just riders going down separately on the same corner, must be a greasy one, a minor adjustment from another rider going down in front of you and you're down yourself.
  • goonz
    Plus they use all the pro kit which actually probably does keep the water out properly.
  • danlikesbikes
    Peloton proper slow on that corner that caught out the breakaway group
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    emadden wrote:
    I did 4 hours in pissing rain last night ... seriously.... ok, its a bit warmer out here :-) But it aint exactly snowing, or MSR type weather

Totally different situation. You go at your own pace, tootle tootle, rather different from top elites racing. There's also clearly floods of water on the road in this stage.
  • mfin
    A lot of these Roads are resurfaced with smooth tarmac too, not our grippy horrible slow british stuff, makes them far worse in these conditions
  • goonz
    mfin wrote:
    A lot of these Roads are resurfaced with smooth tarmac too, not our grippy horrible slow british stuff, makes them far worse in these conditions

But must be an absolute dream in the dry!
  • mfin
    goonz wrote:
    mfin wrote:

But must be an absolute dream in the dry!

Definitely!
  • GentlemanBear
    GentlemanBear Posts: 280
    edited May 2013
    Wiggo back at the team car - odds on an abandonment? Riding in these conditions with a chest infection and headcold must be a nightmare.

*Edit - obviously I don't think that a one-time visit to the car is a sign of him getting ready to take his numbers off but the grim-faced chat made me wonder how miserable he's feeling
  • Richmond Racer
    Race radio just warned of unpaved road at 44km
  • goonz
    Wiggo back at the team car - odds on an abandonment? Riding in these conditions with a chest infection and headcold must be a nightmare.

*Edit - obviously I don't think that a one-time visit to the car is a sign of him getting ready to take his numbers off but the grim-faced chat made me wonder how miserable he's feeling

Wheres his Rapha Race Cape and merino wool baselayer and snood when you need it?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Appropriately my screen is showing an ad for Talisker - 'Bring on the storm'
  • Richmond Racer
    He needs to whistle some Jam and Ocean Colour Scene toones to get through this
  • emadden
    emadden wrote:

I guess I shouldve put up a smiley face, then you may have realised I was taking the piss :lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    Peloton a bit peeved with that red flag!
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Richmond Racer
    emadden wrote:
    emadden wrote:

I guess I shouldve put up a smiley face, then you may have realised I was taking the wee-wee :lol:

ahhhhhhhhhh
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Wiggo back at the team car - odds on an abandonment?

I thought the same when I saw that. Well off the back with no team mates. What's the Vuelta parcours like this year? :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    emadden wrote:
    Peloton a bit peeved with that red flag!
    What was that about? Just dangerous section? I've got sound off, whilst I'm on a conference call!
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited May 2013
    emadden wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Its the ice :-)
    Just Blame the UCI for making them run two weeks earlier.
    Check out Breukink winning the 1988 Giro Gavia stage through a blinding Blizzard and the many pictures of Andy Hamsten coming through in second place that day.

That race did not start until the 23rd May (I think that is 3 weeks later than this one) and one stage had to be cancelled because of snow.
    I still have a plastic card "Gears Table" issued with CYCLING WEEKLY in 1991 and on the other side it gives the World Calendar with May 26 - June 16 the Tour of ITALY and of course the Vuelta as April 29 - May 19.

Alex Zulle regularly fell off in the wet Vuelta because of the rain on his spectacles but he still managed to win.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972