Giro Stage 11 - Spoiler thread

Comments

• MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Everybody will moan about Declan Quigley

I know everyone moans about Mr Quigley but I've watched three stages live and Sean has made multiple jokes and comments of his own far more than usual. It seems Sean is thriving in his presence.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Breakaway:

Navardauskus, Bonnafond, Rodriguez, Pirazzi, Martens, Oss, Sarmiento, Duque, Martinez, Le Bon, Gusev, Cobo, Pauwels, Keukeleire, Popovych, Puccio, Gretsch, Petrov, Veuchelen and Di Luca.

Astana have nobody in the break, nor do Lampre or Lotto Belisol

Gap is climbing to over 4 minutes but they will soon be at the main climb so expect it to come back down for a while.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    did Di Luca lose a lot of time? if he's high enough up the GC it will get pulled back with him in it... or do they tell him to do one?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • mrpowly
    mrpowly Posts: 16
    MrTapir wrote:
    Everybody will moan about Declan Quigley

I know everyone moans about Mr Quigley but I've watched three stages live and Sean has made multiple jokes and comments of his own far more than usual. It seems Sean is thriving in his presence.

I've noticed that, Kelly feeling he has to say a bit more that usual almost makes up for Quigley.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There is only one Rodriguez in this race, right? He seems to be in the break every day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edhornby wrote:
    did Di Luca lose a lot of time? if he's high enough up the GC it will get pulled back with him in it... or do they tell him to do one?

He's +13:46

VF are desperate for a win
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    RichN95 wrote:
    There is only one Rodriguez in this race, right? He seems to be in the break every day.

Yep, just the one. Got to make the Venezuela sponsorship worth it I guess...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    RichN95 wrote:

Probably just as well otherwise I would be very confused.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    All together but the peloton had a quick start today pretty much downhill (give or take) to the first climb & averaging over 50mph.

When I first read no break away, I thought that maybe the top teams were looking for an easier day after yesterday but looks like its been fast from the flag

Edit: Sorry having a mare today (as was the chap who tweeted that speed, not me) have just been checking and the average today was 50KMS not MPH for the first section.

Can see a twitter user being bumped off my follow list for that & me for falling for it :oops:

You're not using @ukcyclingexpert for your information are you?
  • danlikesbikes
    edited May 2013
    Pross wrote:
    All together but the peloton had a quick start today pretty much downhill (give or take) to the first climb & averaging over 50mph.

When I first read no break away, I thought that maybe the top teams were looking for an easier day after yesterday but looks like its been fast from the flag

Edit: Sorry having a mare today (as was the chap who tweeted that speed, not me) have just been checking and the average today was 50KMS not MPH for the first section.

Can see a twitter user being bumped off my follow list for that & me for falling for it :oops:

You're not using @ukcyclingexpert for your information are you?

Nope - did follow that one but gave up after a while whilst having a cull of people & that one had to go

Plus seem to be getting my elbow & butt confused today
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    News just in;

Sylvain Georges (who DNS today) has tested positive for Heptaminol
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    News just in;

And another memory of brilliant cycling is tainted by doping.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    News just in;

Bollox. Specified rather than banned substance...just like Frank S...but whatever, was really hoping we could get through the Giro without a doping incident...
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Turfle wrote:
    News just in;

And another memory of brilliant cycling is tainted by doping.

He certainly demonstrated "panache", and even got the "GO Sylvain" seal of approval.
  • danlikesbikes
    News just in;

Bollox. Specified rather than banned substance...just like Frank S...but whatever, was really hoping we could get through the Giro without a doping incident...

Lots of differing reports but understood to be from urine sample A taken from Stage 7, is a voluntary withdrawal and able to race until sample B is tested.

As others have said I am pleased that the test picked him up, as no positives tests just means the cheaters are getting round the testing.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    UCI press release

"News

Title:
    Press release: Adverse Analytical Finding for Sylvain Georges

Date:

Description: Earlier today the UCI notified French rider Sylvain Georges of an Adverse Analytical Finding (presence of the stimulant Heptaminol based on the analysis report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Roma) in his urine sample collected at the Giro d’Italia on 10 May 2013.

Mr Georges has the right to request and attend the analysis of his B sample.

The UCI Anti-Doping Rules do not impose a provisional suspension given the nature of the substance, which is a specified substance.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code and the UCI Anti-Doping Rules, the UCI is unable to provide any additional information at this time. "
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Afternoon chaps, just tuned in, anything interesting happened in the stage? Looks like Astana are controlling the peleton
  • junglist_matty
    I have to give Evans huge credit; he's always up there, usually on his own without a supporting team; he's been impressive thus far.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Afternoon chaps, just tuned in, anything interesting happened in the stage?
    No, hence the doping posts.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Im waiting for Rodriguez to fail a test...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • danlikesbikes
    Afternoon chaps, just tuned in, anything interesting happened in the stage?
    No, hence the doping posts.

TBF I'd have posted that even if Wiggo had a mechanical, swapped to a unicycle & brought the break back single handedly, had another mechanical & continued up the mountain on a penny farthing.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I have to give Evans huge credit; he's always up there, usually on his own without a supporting team; he's been impressive thus far.

Waiting for his doping allegations to come out too...hes made a brilliant comeback after last years tour...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    goonz wrote:

A likely candidate.
    Nibali's TT performance raised an eyebrow for me too.
  • junglist_matty
    jezzpalmer wrote:

I did think very similar, he's looking a hell of a lot stronger than he did last year, especially in the TT, where did that come from! Saying that, it wasn't a "normal" style TT with no shortage of sharp corners and hills
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    goonz wrote:

A likely candidate.

Nibali has undergone a lot of TT training/re-positioning/wind tunnel testing in the last few months.

He's had other decent TT results in his career too.

Think Evans may be the secret pro's GT winner?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

It would be really disappointing if he was.

I'm beginning to think that blog comment was pish.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Any PTP picks out in that break?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    goonz wrote:

Waiting for his doping allegations to come out too...hes made a brilliant comeback after last years tour...

He was ill during the early season last year and didn't do all the training he wanted..
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

It would be really disappointing if he was.

I'm beginning to think that blog comment was pish.

Most likely - Although Cadel did 'meet' with Ferrari even if most people do seem to give him a pass for it.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Has Nibali got a coach yet ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools