Thank god Nike only make shoes for pros
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    The problem might not be people trying to get past Wiggins, but if Wiggins is dropped on the climb, and has regained some descending confidence, him trying to get past others.
    Really you can't see a pro rider overtaking on a descent. Personally I don't see any issue in overtaking on a descent if your going faster than someone in front of you.
    You misunderstand me. It’s not the overtaking which might be a problem but the limited opportunities to overtake on a technical descent (which you’ve also called a ‘farm track’). It has about 12 hairpins along its length and when in the woods there often isn't sufficient view ahead to risk an overtaking manoeuvre.
    A quality rider with proper descending head on will have no issues, often into & out of the hairpins where the road surface is poor. On the second half no issues at all as the road is much wider. Agree that it could be a bit dappled light though which reminds me of Tommy V's attempts and his CX skills ending up in someones driveway!!!
    I’ve no problem with what you’re basically saying, just there’s no much width to overtake anyone on hairpins like these unless you’ve got a slow descender in front of you.
    And even then such riders are a problem because they become unpredictable in their movements.

The second picture also shows the dappled light problem well. I feel sympathy for riders who have a problem with dappled light, because it’s a problem I sometimes have.

8737214431_b28cebd8a3.jpg
    8737214609_11efb6ba26.jpg
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    also, I had in mind that Wiggo would be surrounded by his troops as far as possible, meaning that Nibs/Cadel wouldn't just have one rider to get past, but a few all descending quickly and erratically. In fact I'd like Sky to ride 4 abreast on the front to stop anyone getting past, wonder what FF would have to say about that :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pozza should do alright.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Can anyone think of a GT where a much fancied GT contender looked out of form at the beginning, and then actually improved and won it?

Contador at the Vuelta last year?

He didn't improve though. He took the lead due to a massive mistake from his main rival and then just about hung on during the final mountain stage.

I suppose the question we might actually be able to answer today is how out of sorts is Wiggins? He's lost time so far due to crashes and descending really badly but he hasn't really had his legs tested. Until now.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Break: Tjallingii, Jackson Rodríguez, Bennati, Ligthart, Dehaes, Viviani, Dekker, Brutt, Machado, Millar, Pauwels, Gatto, Popovych.
    5'20" up.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Wiggo says he thinks they may lose one or two mountains to the weather. Will this encourage him to try something today?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I think people are forgetting Astana and BMC have to mark three Sky riders not one as Uran and Henao are too high up on GC and too dangerous to let get any gap go or not mark them as well.

Sky should use this to maximum effect with multiple attacks from the two leaving wiggins to stick with the other GC guys and possibly another guy to support (Cataldo?). The aim should be to isolate nibali and evans because on his day we know wiggins can drop them with a high constant effort - what we don't know is if he has the form to do it.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    I think people are forgetting Astana and BMC have to mark three Sky riders not one as Uran and Henao are too high up on GC and too dangerous to let get any gap go or not mark them as well.

Sky should use this to maximum effect with multiple attacks from the two leaving wiggins to stick with the other GC guys and possibly another guy to support (Cataldo?). The aim should be to isolate nibali and evans because on his day we know wiggins can drop them with a high constant effort - what we don't know is if he has the form to do it.

Blanco are also in that position. Some really interesting times I think.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Only posting so we can get onto page 5 and I dont have to look at those shoes any more
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    edited May 2013
    This is what I was saying basically but better perhaps as it's from david walsh:
    https://twitter.com/DavidWalshST
    Question for Team Sky likely to be answered today: one or two leaders? All for BW or do they end up needing to play two cards: BW and Henao?

If I tweet about Sky, it is because I have some insight to offer. Today, with two cat one climbs, there will be no wait-and-see approach.

They don't have jersey and don't believe in defending places in top 10. Their plan is to make it hard today, though the terrain does that.

Roads on both climbs are crazily narrow, descent from Cason di Lanza (1st climb) so dangerous that no sane rider would take risks.

Uran is highly rated climber and unlucky not to get jersey on Friday but he doesn't TT as well as other two. Henao, plan B so Uran plan C!!!

Guilherme, should I tell Dave B he's getting it wrong? Seriously, team thinks Henao stronger, though still believe in Wiggins.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    jotko wrote:
    Only posting so we can get onto page 5 and I dont have to look at those shoes any more

Doping is more acceptable than wearing those.
  • Le Commentateur
    edited May 2013
    Giro2013_Dolomiti_zps1f375d23.png
    Giro2013_Dolomiti3_zps0ae22230.png

Epic backdrop: the view at the finish.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    jotko wrote:

They'd look quite nice without the Nike swoosh on
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ThomThom wrote:
    jotko wrote:

I'd have to be pumped full of mind-altering drugs to wear them
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    ThomThom wrote:
    jotko wrote:

I'd have to be pumped full of mind-altering drugs to wear them

I thought I was pumped full of mind altering drugs when I saw them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    wtf are Eurosport doing at the moment?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Squaggles wrote:
    jotko wrote:

They'd look quite nice without the Nike swoosh on

opg6NDr.gif
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Saw a woman with leggings to match Blythe's shoes on the cycle to work this morning. :shock:

Some beautiful pictures of the descent up the page. I like a nice mountain road. I miss hills.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    So are we expecting fireworks today or a bit of a damp squib ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Oh Adam Blyth...

120-659x440.jpg

Unsubtle tactics are easily thwarted.......Welcome to page 5
  • Le Commentateur
    edited May 2013
    Giro2013_wigginsStg10_zps0fa96666.png

Wiggins looking comfortable so far; 73kms to go.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    The velonews piece reported that those shoes got so wet on Stage 5 that they failed to dry out... So he went back to his awful black and white dalmation look.

A lost cause.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Giro2013_Stg10_72km_zpse909deb9.png

Weather at finish: cloudy, no rain, 10°C
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    The problem might not be people trying to get past Wiggins, but if Wiggins is dropped on the climb, and has regained some descending confidence, him trying to get past others.
    Really you can't see a pro rider overtaking on a descent. Personally I don't see any issue in overtaking on a descent if your going faster than someone in front of you.

I’ve no problem with what you’re basically saying, just there’s no much width to overtake anyone on hairpins like these unless you’ve got a slow descender in front of you.
    And even then such riders are a problem because they become unpredictable in their movements.

Think I've just bolded the pertinent part of my logic
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Le Commentateur
    Break: 8 mins @ 65.5km to go

The steeper second section of the climb begins now for the breakaways.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Starting the first ramp. Nice and narrow.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Le Commentateur
    edited May 2013
    15kms of tougher climbing now, punctuated by about 3kms of descent midway.

Giro2013_Stg10_60km_zpsdef1d1cb.png