Giro Stage 10 - Spoiler thread

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Fascinated to see how Ryder goes today

If they are all together can imagine him trying to do something on the final climb today after the 20% section on the final kms. Then again would like to see the same from Evans or Wiggins TBH
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    team katusha getting ready to go
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Can anyone think of a GT where a much fancied GT contender looked out of form at the beginning, and then actually improved and won it?

pantani Tdf 98
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

Is that a consignment label on his arm? Do the riders get delivered to the start like veal?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • danlikesbikes
    Couple more from the start
  • danlikesbikes
    prawny wrote:

Is that a consignment label on his arm? Do the riders get delivered to the start like veal?

Did see that & wondered, is only a low res image so zoom doesn't really say show too much. Though it might be from the team briefing, a list of the key points.

Anyone else have an idea?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    prawny wrote:

Did see that & wondered, is only a low res image so zoom doesn't really say show too much. Though it might be from the team briefing, a list of the key points.

stage profile?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • danlikesbikes
    prawny wrote:

stage profile?

Appears to be lists though, but I did think if it came from the team briefing it might have a smaller version on the end for him to get taped to his bars. So he could have taken then team stage briefing off the bus and walked over to the mechanic and asked him to take on the 'tear off' end part?
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Can anyone think of a GT where a much fancied GT contender looked out of form at the beginning, and then actually improved and won it?

Contador at the Vuelta last year?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^That was my recollection too.
  • danlikesbikes
    Well they have set off & we have a 4 man break - Ermeti, Felline, Marentes Torres & Ruijgh

A few more pics then no more from me. Good to see D Millar before the stage & pics of the first Cat 1 today
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    I had a dream that Wiggins was exceptionally good at climbing last night.
    He was climbing ropes - dreams are always weird like that.

Close enough sign for me that he will surprise everyone and win today. Although he did have a bent derailleur in a box as well.

20 second bonus for 1st...
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    People already out waiting for the start of todays stage
    Thats the sort of weather to have descending a mountain.
  • danlikesbikes
    People already out waiting for the start of todays stage
    Thats the sort of weather to have descending a mountain.

Hopefully it will stick, but either way can't be changed & has certainly mixed things up a bit so far!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Can't see Nibs being able to take any time out of Wiggo on the climbs today. Really hope Wiggo is in touch at the bottom of the final descent. We might then get a proper look at the state of Wiggo's legs.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    He he...Wiggins answering questions at a journo session yesterday

Q: Jonathan Vaughters said on Twitter that you had the same stomach problems as Cataldo. What do think about that? Is it true?

After rolling his eyes, Wiggins said: "I don't know. Who knows what goes though Jonathan's head. I had a bit of a chest infection. A little bit of a cold, but it hasn't been affecting me on the bike. I've got a bit of tendonitis but were managing it all."

:)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    The problem might not be people trying to get past Wiggins, but if Wiggins is dropped on the climb, and has regained some descending confidence, him trying to get past others.
    Really you can't see a pro rider overtaking on a descent. Personally I don't see any issue in overtaking on a descent if your going faster than someone in front of you.
    You misunderstand me. It’s not the overtaking which might be a problem but the limited opportunities to overtake on a technical descent (which you’ve also called a ‘farm track’). It has about 12 hairpins along its length and when in the woods there often isn't sufficient view ahead to risk an overtaking manoeuvre.
  • danlikesbikes
    First break did not get away, however have another now with;

Rodriguez, Dekker, Millar, Modolo, Tjallingii, Viviani, Machado, Dehaes, Brutt, Pauwels, Popovych, Bennati, Ligthart and Gatto
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    prawny wrote:

It’s a ticket to the Beyonce concert in Milan this coming Thursday.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Isn't the first mountain stage of a GT great.

Lots of names still in the fray and all sorts of things being read into small (or maybe not so small) blips / peaks in performance. At the end of today, some firm favourites will be well and truly out of the picture and there'll be some new names for people to get excited about. Lots of big time gaps and who knows what other drama.

Bring it on!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Plan B evidently involves getting Millar and Dekker up the road a bit.
  • danlikesbikes
    morstar wrote:
    Isn't the first mountain stage of a GT great.

Lots of names still in the fray and all sorts of things being read into small (or maybe not so small) blips / peaks in performance. At the end of today, some firm favourites will be well and truly out of the picture and there'll be some new names for people to get excited about. Lots of big time gaps and who knows what other drama.

Bring it on!

Indeed, read a quote today that we will not see who will win the Giro today but we will know by the end of today who will not, if they can't cut it today & haven't done the work.
  • danlikesbikes
    knedlicky wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    The problem might not be people trying to get past Wiggins, but if Wiggins is dropped on the climb, and has regained some descending confidence, him trying to get past others.
    Really you can't see a pro rider overtaking on a descent. Personally I don't see any issue in overtaking on a descent if your going faster than someone in front of you.
    You misunderstand me. It’s not the overtaking which might be a problem but the limited opportunities to overtake on a technical descent (which you’ve also called a ‘farm track’). It has about 12 hairpins along its length and when in the woods there often isn't sufficient view ahead to risk an overtaking manoeuvre.

A quality rider with proper descending head on will have no issues, often into & out of the hairpins where the road surface is poor. On the second half no issues at all as the road is much wider. Agree that it could be a bit dappled light though which reminds me of Tommy V's attempts and his CX skills ending up in someones driveway!!!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Unconvinced too much will happen today

But I hope to be surprised
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Agree that it could be a bit dappled light though which reminds me of Tommy V's attempts and his CX skills ending up in someones driveway!!!

That was a great stage. Stage 11 2011. :)
  • danlikesbikes
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Agree that it could be a bit dappled light though which reminds me of Tommy V's attempts and his CX skills ending up in someones driveway!!!

That was a great stage. Stage 11 2011. :)

Tell me about it - has to be up there he was all over the place & that one part where he came off recall the driveway was about 4 foot lower than the road so how the hell he kept that bike upright I'll never know.
  • danlikesbikes
    Break up to over 3 minutes now & a few changes who's in there;

Dekker, Rodriguez, Modolo, Tjallingii, Viviani, Brutt, Dehaes, Pauwels, Machado, Popovych, Bennati, Ligthart, Millar and Gatto.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It's all about Ryder today.
  • danlikesbikes
    They are letting this gap go as is up to 4'10 now
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Oh Adam Blyth...

120-659x440.jpg
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent