my first mountain bike the pains,problems,pics and successes

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I do like carreras, i was actually massively shocked at the weight of one when i picked it up. It looked like it would be heavy, and it weighed nothing in comparison to my GT. (but the carrera was at least 10 years newer than it.)

I do like carrearas, i dont know what carrera it is, but i see one that has a nice electric blue paint job with white rims. Sexy as hell. I pulled up becide an immaculate carrera kraken before at the lights and the drivetrain and all the parts on it looked really really high spec. I distinctly remember it having a truvativ crank so it may have been the same as your one Kowalski.

This one's mine:

DSC_8873_zps1f20ce30.jpg

Tell me that doesn't look like it cost more than £220 brand new (the brick under the pedal was extra). I really like the subtle silver, graphite and black colourscheme, and it's more than enough bike for me, until such times as I learn how to atually ride one properly (at which point I'd look at upgrading the forks and brakes, since the frame's good enough to warrant bolting some higher spec components onto).
    Ive got a halfords spanner set and im totally happy with it. Chrome Vanadium, and they are nice and shiny. :D

I have a set of their combination ratchet spanners (amongst other things) - seriously useful piece of kit.
  • Kowalski675
    rgliniany wrote:
    jesus if i was a teacher this page would be red with all the grammar points and spelling mistakes :roll:

I can't resist donning my pedant's hat and pointing out that your "Jesus" should have an upper case "J" and should be followed by a comma, plus you're missing a full stop at the end of your sentence. :wink:
    do you know why Halfords Professional range of tools offer a lifetime warranty Kowalski???

thats right.... cos they are rebadged snap-on

my bro worked in halfords and was let in on the secret.....

I'd heard it said previously that they're made in the same factory as Snap On's Bluepoint range.
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    its only lower case cos i accidentally typed out what i was thinking at the time..... :wink:

bro has had no issues with the tools yet and ive been away 5 years.... and they've been well abused taking a 205gti to bits a fair few times... not your usual halfrauds quality!!
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Kowalski675
    rgliniany wrote:
    its only lower case cos i accidentally typed out what i was thinking at the time..... :wink:

Excuses, excuses, lol. :wink:
    bro has had no issues with the tools yet and ive been away 5 years.... and they've been well abused taking a 205gti to bits a fair few times... not your usual halfrauds quality!!

All my Halfords Pro stuff (and the cabinet) has performed flawlessly through years of motorcycle maintenance and rebuilds, can't fault it. I have one of their thick 1/2" drive 24" breaker bars, and that's taken some heavy testing without failing - it's been used to undo Triumph rear wheel nuts (which are tightened to 146NM), and when undoing the front sprocket nut on my ex's bike the nut was seized on so tight that the steel breaker bar was flexing and lifting the bike off the floor, I turned it 180 degrees and pushed down on it and it was flexing until the nut finally gave up and came undone with a huge crack (and I smacked my knees on the garage floor, lol), but the tool was still good as new after that.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I do like carreras, i was actually massively shocked at the weight of one when i picked it up. It looked like it would be heavy, and it weighed nothing in comparison to my GT. (but the carrera was at least 10 years newer than it.)

I do like carrearas, i dont know what carrera it is, but i see one that has a nice electric blue paint job with white rims. Sexy as hell. I pulled up becide an immaculate carrera kraken before at the lights and the drivetrain and all the parts on it looked really really high spec. I distinctly remember it having a truvativ crank so it may have been the same as your one Kowalski.

This one's mine:

DSC_8873_zps1f20ce30.jpg

Tell me that doesn't look like it cost more than £220 brand new (the brick under the pedal was extra). I really like the subtle silver, graphite and black colourscheme, and it's more than enough bike for me, until such times as I learn how to atually ride one properly (at which point I'd look at upgrading the forks and brakes, since the frame's good enough to warrant bolting some higher spec components onto).

I think we have similar tastes in our 'knock about' every day bikes..

With it's old sus forks
    MaxlightSusSide.jpg

With the lightweight rigids
    ToDo067.jpg

Always liked the two tone grey as well.
  • Kowalski675
    Classy colours never go out of style. As for knock about bikes though, mine's my only bike, lol (well, the only one without an engine anyway).

What's going on with the cat in your avatar? Looks intriguing.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Classy colours never go out of style. As for knock about bikes though, mine's my only bike, lol (well, the only one without an engine anyway).

We own a lot of whippets and greyhounds in Yorkshire. The cats have evolved to keep ahead of them.....

cat_missle-527-1_zps88f63a2e.jpeg

headphones_zpsff98af78.gif
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Both your bikes look good! Im surprised you havent made it look more "in your face" Kowalski :lol:

My grammar isnt that bad...is it, apart from missing out the " ' " from everything like "dont" instead of "don't" But i do that on purpose because its effort. When i write i do do it though...obviously, just not when typing :wink:

That avatar is bloody epic!!! Makes me laugh.
  • gt-arrowhead
    rgliniany wrote:

Wtf!?! I didnt know that.

When i did work experience, the mechanics were having a discussion with the Snap On dealer bloke that came down once a week, and the prices for the parts were MENTAL!

They were like £300 for a wheel nut gun...and apparently one of them had to get their previous gun repaired twice, and it broke again for the third time...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jus order some of these

Ritchey TrueGrip Grid MTB Handlebar Grips

black/grey

try find a pic

seMZuzT.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I love a good jus, it's a different gravey.
  • Anonymous
    I love a good jus, it's a different gravey.
    what...?
    :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
  • Chunkers1980
    Sorry, I meant gravy.
  • Chunkers1980
    I told you. It's a different gravy.
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    Sorry, I meant gravy.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

awesome
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Kowalski675
    Ouija wrote:

We own a lot of whippets and greyhounds in Yorkshire. The cats have evolved to keep ahead of them.....

cat_missle-527-1_zps88f63a2e.jpeg

headphones_zpsff98af78.gif

I'm in Yorkshire too (and have occasionally been described as a northern whippet), but I've never seen my cats do that, lol. Mine can jump, but they can't fly (I wish they could, it looks very impressive, lol).

Copy2ofDSC_0034_zps573f2a76.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Both your bikes look good! Im surprised you havent made it look more "in your face" Kowalski :lol:

All I've done is change the stem, bars and grips (all black):

DSC_8877_zps1c8e4093.jpg

The rest's the same as it left the factory, I think it looks good subtle and understated. My motorbikes can be more eyecatching, 'cos I can ride those well enough to back up all the tarty bling, lol. If I had a trick, bling MTB It'd be all mouth and no trousers - I can't abide all the (motor)bikers I see every summer who have flash bikes, but can't ride to save their life - all the gear and no idea types, with inch wide chicken strips. With a flash MTB I'd be just like those numpties that I laugh at and take the piss out of.
  • Kowalski675
    rgliniany wrote:

Wtf!?! I didnt know that.

When i did work experience, the mechanics were having a discussion with the Snap On dealer bloke that came down once a week, and the prices for the parts were MENTAL!

They were like £300 for a wheel nut gun...and apparently one of them had to get their previous gun repaired twice, and it broke again for the third time...

Premium Snap On gear is mentally expensive (you can spend a couple of grand on a cabinet, before you even put any tools in it), but superb quality (backed up by a lifetime replacement guarantee - if you break it you get a new one, even if you broke it by being a dick and abusing it). It's gear for professionals who use it all day every day to make their living (and total overkill for home mechanics). The Bluepoint range is their cheaper line (but still good gear) - that's the range the Halfords Pro gear is equivalent to.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Form over function is the best way to do it. But i tend to do the opposite...lol. I do like a flash bike. :D Your bike is a million times better than mine, and having a good metallic red coat isnt gonna change that. :wink:

I do the same,I take the piss out of people with hip bikes that think they are good at riding a bike, when they can barely ride in a straight line...
  • gt-arrowhead
    The blackspur spanner set and the halfords professional spanner set are all that i need really, They have been good, and they look nice, so thats good for me. It is understandable to have Snap On tools in a proper garage and stuff, fixing cars 24/7. It will probably alot cheaper to have bulletproof tools that get replaced for free when they do give up. Instead of buying loads of lower quality tools. And it gives the garage a good image :D
  • Anonymous

you'll have to start getting better at mountain biking and start getting a better bike otherwise you can only take the piss outta of someone if your better then them otherwise you jus look like a twat :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

gonna try fix my seat post and sort my brakes out
  • gt-arrowhead
    Yeah, but the thing is, i know my bikes worth, and i know where my skill level is. And my bike is representative of my skill id say. :D Not the worst, still quite bad, but can be massively improved. :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    edited May 2013
    The blackspur spanner set and the halfords professional spanner set are all that i need really, They have been good, and they look nice, so thats good for me.

Some (not all) of my spanners:

15848.jpg?max=640

When it comes to buying tools the best thing to do initially is put together a basic kit to cover most day to day jobs, buying the best you can afford. Don't buy big sets that are cheap quality or contain a bunch of stuff (like imperial sockets, for example) that you'll never need. Then expand your collection as you go along, buying the tools you need for specific jobs. I'm pretty well equipped for most jobs these days (on cars/bikes, not specific bicycle tools), having built my tools up over the years, but still like buying new stuff, lol. My last significant purchase was £90 on a brake caliper piston removal tool - the sort of thing you only use very occasionally, but it turns a real pain in the ass job into child's play - expensive, but by the time you've used it twice it's paid for itself in saved time and hassle, and it'll last a lifetime. One of these days I'm finally gonna buy myself a blind bearing puller set, they're expensive, another real hassle saver.
  • Kowalski675
    Yeah, but the thing is, i know my bikes worth, and i know where my skill level is.

Me too. I'd feel a right fraud on an expensive bike.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, but the thing is, i know my bikes worth, and i know where my skill level is.

Me too. I'd feel a right fraud on an expensive bike.

sorted my brakes seat post and such area is still quite bad seat's stuck pointing upwards :(

I'd like a more expensive bike certainly prefer a full sus this is my first hardtail in like ages. its gr8 jus not amazing!

if I had the room and knowledge and money i'd build a 29er full sus bike.

sort what I would like to build

the green colour fame is beautiful.

bXdmaH8.jpg
  • Kowalski675
    Looks like pretty much the same colour as the wheels on my Bandit and Speed Triple.
  • Anonymous
    Looks like pretty much the same colour as the wheels on my Bandit and Speed Triple.

yeah

its a nice colour
  • Anonymous
    jus brought some new things

helmet

AQGYSsd.jpg
    xbTH5M8.jpg
    kF2YcUY.jpg

back pack

LwKZuYt.jpg