my first mountain bike the pains,problems,pics and successes

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yeah I guess ill YouTube it to see if there's a guide or something.

them tyres looks alright.

EDIT: does that tyre both fit front and back or do I need a separate front and back
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    They fit both & back.

Youtube a guide, it's pretty simple, you'll just need some tyre levers or a couple of teaspoons work at a pinch.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Same tyres front and back, there will be a directional arrow on them which goes at the top facing forwards.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Anonymous
    jus looking at tyres what do you people think of these(they sound nice) whats a wire tire?

how do tubeless tyres systems work ?

hopefully there the right size ( 26x2.00) or 50x559 is what written on my current tyre

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=53646
  • cbtmrt
    cbtmrt Posts: 29
    Yeah they'll fit. I wouldn't worry about what a wire tyre is at the moment, it pretty much just means you can't fold them because there are two pieces of wire all around the circumference. I'd also leave tubeless tyres alone for a while too, you'd need different wheels for them. Pretty much anything 26 x ?.?? will fit (these measurements are in inches). Like someone said, get a charge spoon saddle and sit on it, a saddle makes a huge difference for not too much money! I wouldn't have it so far back either.

As for people being pr@ts on here... there are a lot about so ignore them and listen to people who are trying to be helpful. :D
  • Anonymous
    cbtmrt wrote:
    Yeah they'll fit. I wouldn't worry about what a wire tyre is at the moment, it pretty much just means you can't fold them because there are two pieces of wire all around the circumference. I'd also leave tubeless tyres alone for a while too, you'd need different wheels for them. Pretty much anything 26 x ?.?? will fit (these measurements are in inches). Like someone said, get a charge spoon saddle and sit on it, a saddle makes a huge difference for not too much money! I wouldn't have it so far back either.

As for people being pr@ts on here... there are a lot about so ignore them and listen to people who are trying to be helpful. :D

well the tyres seem cheap enough and sound decent will probably order some tomorrow I cant really adjust my saddle atm the bolts a little bit seized and requires so force to loosen it. and its raining loads atm :lol:
    new saddle would nice a more comfy one because my current is light weight but kinda unpleasant to sit on for then 30s and even worse when going off road
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    FYI, your saddle is not light weight.

Ps, your bike is new ish so very unlikely to be seized.
  • unquestioned
    unquestioned Posts: 172
    It'll just be tight, fire on some wd40 if you wish (remember to clean it all off afterwards because it's bad stuff)

Your saddle is a basic jobbie, If you look at the Charge Spoon you'll probably think it's going to be like sitting on a razorblade but you'd be surprised.
  • Anonymous
    FYI, your saddle is not light weight.

Ps, your bike is new ish so very unlikely to be seized.

maybe I was jus being feeble I don't know.

its light weight compared to what I seen in Halfords :lol:
  • Anonymous
    edited May 2013
    This would be good for you i reckon. Would look nice on your bike too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARGE-Spoon- ... 2a2b0642e2

I have a boney arse due to being a bit underweight for my height. need to be black colour really thou.

looking at metallic black disc rotors jus because im a bit bored and all the rest of my wheel is black.

black wheel/black spokes/black calliper I think

black one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARGE-Spoon- ... 0457058%26

on the subject of rotors

something like this but better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-Alligat ... 4ac076ada5

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Alligator ... 2314c1b3f7

ofc in the right size etc..

that colours and design I think
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    What ever colour you want obivously, just thought you might have preferred the white so i linked the white. :wink:

Whats wrong with your current rotors? If they are working perfectly fine, id save the money up or spend it on something that will further improve your bike for what you want it to do.
  • Anonymous
    What ever colour you want obivously, just thought you might have preferred the white so i linked the white. :wink:

Whats wrong with your current rotors? If they are working perfectly fine, id save the money up or spend it on something that will further improve your bike for what you want it to do.

they work lovely im jus kind of a bit vain :lol:

might have to see about getting a better saddle in the future once I got the tyres sorted out. probably order tyres tomorrow then see how my money looks before ordering a new saddle.

on the subject on doing things there's a coast to coast cycle which either starts or finish's where I was born. I moved later longish story... my dad keeps saying oh you should do that and il do it with you. I don't think my dad could ride a bike. he's kinda a fair bit overweight and he might die of a hard attack or something I think if he even tried to cycle any distance greater then about few mile's.

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

I was born in Whitehaven
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why can't you say though, through and just?
  • gt-arrowhead
    Im the same with wanting to pimp my bike up. lol.

I wish i could do that too, saw it when i joined this forum. Cant do it because of my age...to young to go there cause i cant drive :(
  • Anonymous
    Why can't you say though, through and just?

:?: :roll: :?:
  • Anonymous
    Im the same with wanting to pimp my bike up. lol.

I wish i could do that too, saw it when i joined this forum. Cant do it because of my age...to young to go there cause i cant drive :(

I cant drive

there's a train service to Whitehaven that how I get there when I visit family

which bike do you have :?:

I seen what I think was a old pic in another topic.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Thats useful for you. :)

My parents wont let me go half way across the country to ride a massively long bike ride over a week with what she would assume "total strangers". And the best bike ive got at the mo is a 10-ish year old GT Arrowhead...cant afford anything else cos im only 16! Im hoping that its an annual thing though, would definitely have a go at it once i gain my independence!
  • Anonymous
    Thats useful for you. :)

My parents wont let me go half way across the country to ride a massively long bike ride over a week with what she would assume "total strangers". And the best bike ive got at the mo is a 10-ish year old GT Arrowhead...cant afford anything else cos im only 16! Im hoping that its an annual thing though, would definitely have a go at it once i gain my independence!

get yourself on gumtree or eBay and bag yourself a bargain. im 24 years old so im allowed to travel :P its happens every year I think depending on the amount of people taking part.

16 is old enough I think to do it. but I would personally leave it to your 18 thou as you have move freedom. im not going to do this years event as im not fit enough to attempt it
  • gt-arrowhead
    I really love the old goat, so its staying as my main bike :lol:

Ive got a chucker on the way that will replace it for offroad duties though, so it will be a bit of an upgrade i guess. A job in the summer should allow me to get something decent for next winter. Got offered a full time job at the place i was looking to go to, cant do that cos of school but hopefully that means theyd give me a summer job there.

I really want to do it and i feel as if i could do it if i trained from way back. But as you said ill leave it for a year or two at least.
  • Anonymous
    I really love the old goat, so its staying as my main bike :lol:

Ive got a chucker on the way that will replace it for offroad duties though, so it will be a bit of an upgrade i guess. A job in the summer should allow me to get something decent for next winter. Got offered a full time job at the place i was looking to go to, cant do that cos of school but hopefully that means theyd give me a summer job there.

I really want to do it and i feel as if i could do it if i trained from way back. But as you said ill leave it for a year or two at least.

if you look around ebay and gumtree you can find some good quality bargains thou :P
  • gt-arrowhead
    I got a bargain on my Chucker frame from eBay :D Money will be used to buy bargain PARTS for it now :lol: Im a noob anyhow, so i dont want a bike that exceeds my ability. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    I got a bargain on my Chucker frame from eBay :D Money will be used to buy bargain PARTS for it now :lol: Im a noob anyhow, so i dont want a bike that exceeds my ability. :wink:

have to upload a few pics.
  • gt-arrowhead
    How she looks like at the moment:
    IMAG0069_zpse12a4c8e.jpg
    IMAG0070_zps545657e2.jpg
    IMAG0071_zps4f5a82ab.jpg
    IMAG0072_zpse578c5b8.jpg
    IMAG0075_zps1b52aef6.jpg
    All those bits + a pair of Maxxis Aspens i got today.

Covered in grease, and its in my room...all i can do is stare at it for the time being. lol!
  • Anonymous
    How she looks like at the moment:
    IMAG0069_zpse12a4c8e.jpg
    IMAG0070_zps545657e2.jpg
    IMAG0071_zps4f5a82ab.jpg
    IMAG0072_zpse578c5b8.jpg
    IMAG0075_zps1b52aef6.jpg
    All those bits + a pair of Maxxis Aspens i got today.

Covered in grease, and its in my room...all i can do is stare at it for the time being. lol!

it will look nice if its done properly 8)

good luck on your build :D
  • gt-arrowhead
    It shall be done properly! :D

And heres the old goat:

IMAG0065_zpsf5576403.jpg
    IMAG0060_zps64898f57.jpg

It stands even taller now though atm. I raised the fork as far as possible. :lol:

Here it is in Commuter mode:
    IMAG0040_zps7f491aaf.jpg
    IMAG0045_zps208e9b5c.jpg

IMAG0044_zps89525b1a.jpg

When i bought it and sanded it...LOL
    20072012220_zps793bd6f0.jpg
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm sure you've heard it before but stick with the rigid fork until you can afford a decent one, get some tyres with tread and swap the stem. It'll be a far better riding bike for it.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • gt-arrowhead
    I picked up a pair of Maxxis Aspens today that are brand new for £8 so they will go on, and im looking to revert back to the rigid next week if i have the time (exams :evil: ). Thanks for the advice mate.
  • gt-arrowhead
    And whats wrong with the stem i have? Would you say its too long?
  • Anonymous
    on your new build

are you going for disc brakes I presume.

on your current bike the DH forks looks kinda stupid they look really outta place on that bike you should stick with the rigid forks. sell the DH forks on ebay and buy parts for your new build maybe some forks if you wanna go off road pick up some lower level suntour ones for cheap on eBay and places. while your saving up for a better set. :D