Giro Stage 6 - Spoiler Thread

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Macaloon wrote:
    ^ Is an awesome profile for racing. And a complete nightmare for PTP. I'm on my second transfusion and we're not at the first rest day. Jings.

I'm working the Pantani angle: Mill around the back losing chunks for the first 10 days then light it up in the Mountains
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    wheres todays highlights in english???
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wiggins was riding rather weirdly.

GC contender leading the sprinter teams out from 4km to 2.8km to go, having been sticking his nose in the wind for the previous 4.

Sure you want to stay out of trouble but c'mon.

Love Cav's acceleration from Steegmans. Viviani was flat out sprinting in his wheel just to hold it. Boom.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It was a really chaotic peloton, everybody trying to be at the front, no one team able to string it out. I think he was just trying to stay safe.

Whether it was a good use of his energy, I'm not so sure.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Don't really care for Hunter but looks like Gavazzi did a typical Androni move and just went straight across him.

#androniliability
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    In other, more important news. Hot Hockey Girl and I are going for a ride tomorrow :D:D

Any bird pulling tips girls?

(wish I had nt had those extra 3 beers now... :( )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    In other, more important news. Hot Hockey Girl and I are going for a ride tomorrow :D:D

Have you checked she's not a lesbian? (This is a quarter of a century of hockey experience talking here.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    ddraver wrote:

You live in Holland, we all saw the Dutch Olympic team. There's no need to prefix Hockey girl with "Hot", already taken as fact!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The caption for this photo seriously is:
    The two Australians found plenty to talk about
    6n_2941768.jpg
    :lol:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Well moite it was the last hour ya know and all the good ones had gone
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Absent mindedly watching the highlights again, Wiggins was really spooked was nt he!

Still funny when the FDJ guy is trying to keep him on the front though whilst Wiggo is weaving all over the road like a drunk

Degenkolb went insanely early....

Still love the way the Dutch ES guys commentate a sprint, "CavendishCavendishCavendishVivianiCavendishCavendishVivCavendishBrouhaniCavendishCavendish
    Cavendish...Cavendish?

Ja"
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This Cameron Wurf blog is well worth a read http://cameronwurf.blogspot.it/

"So how did I end up the break? Simple!! I was at the front of the peleton speaking with cavendish and wiggins and cav desperately wanted a break up the road so he decided to attack and try and spark some action!"
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:

"So how did I end up the break? Simple!! I was at the front of the peloton speaking with cavendish and wiggins and cav desperately wanted a break up the road so he decided to attack and try and spark some action!"

Good read. I like the fact that you can almost hear him speaking the words - its not been tidied up or proofed in any way.
  • inkyfingers
    Was just about to post that, good, unmolested insight into what really goes on before the cameras go live.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Macaloon wrote:

"So how did I end up the break? Simple!! I was at the front of the peloton speaking with cavendish and wiggins and cav desperately wanted a break up the road so he decided to attack and try and spark some action!"

I love the way he makes a really good attempt to write well, but is let down by his spelling. He really appreciated the jester :-D

Liked the stuff about thinking going in the break was an easier way of getting his end of stage duties done as well :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Macaloon wrote:

Great detail. I love reading about it from a first hand perspective. It always surprises me how much effort goes on in the peloton...when we tend to assume there is little being done. Eg/.

The final bottle collection is always the hardest one to do, everyone is tired, the race pace is ramping up and above everyone is thirsty! As I had the day off pass and strict orders to go easy on the climb I wanted my teammates to know I was there and contribute something. I knew this bottle grab would be an absolute dog fight to get back to the front, the rd was up down and never straight and all 207 riders were in a single line due to the fact that katusha at that moment decided to turn on the gas and line out the bunch.

Basically it meant onces I was loaded up with 8 bottles for my team mates I had a 5km prologue tearing my way through the bunch absolute full bore and at all times seconds from exploding completely, spotting a gap, sprinting full gas, then repeat and repeat and repeat until I finally got my men in green who were professionally riding right at the front. As our team captain damiano caruso was the first man I found to ensure he was ready for the final climb then distributed the rest about the boys. I knew this was an important bottle drop and no less than 4 of my team mates were out of water, a clear sign on a tuff day and not exactly easy to pop back and grab a fresh bottle!

So once I had dished out the bottles to all my mates, I settled down and started drifting to the back as planned and looked forward to enjoying a nice easy final climb. At this point I reached for a bottle and realised I had given my bottle to sabatini as he also wanted a malodextrine bottle aswell as water which I had on my bike. I knew at the time it was my last bottle also but in this situation you always put your team mates first and hand over whatever you have. Unfortunately today If I ever needed a bottle while racing my bike this was the moment! I was full block of lactic acid! Sickest I can remember being on my bike and I was just wanting that satisfying moment of pouring water down my throat and relaxing for the casual stroll to the finish. But I realised I had no bottle so a moment of relief turned to desperation as all I could think of was water. I looked back for the car but we were on the climb and riders where scattered all over the place and the cars way behind. So I went without till I saw a mechanic I knew from 2010 holding bottles and this was where I realised more than ever, never burn your bridges with people in the sport!

As politely as possible asked luca who works for another team for a bottle he was holding out for his riders. Upon seeing it was me he quickly thrust the bottle infront of me and I made no fumbles with this one, I grabbed it as smoothly as gary ablett marks a football and finally that satisfying moment of cold aqua to cool me down after such a let's say trying day. Content now I settled into a nice easy group and trundled along toward the finish with a little smile on my face at my good fortune.

Bit in bold is something I mention often. Something which Sky have none of and something which riders like Contador have in abundance.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    That's a pretty good effort given that it appears to be written and uploaded from a BlackBerry! Perhaps also explains the weird, autocorrect style words that crop up from time to time. Either that or he spent more of his youth riding a bike than studying :wink:
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • disgruntledgoat
    Kindly explain how Sky have burned all these bridges and Contador none, not one ever?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lovely quote, but with the best respect, FF, you are so full of crap.

I think you are talking about bridges with you personally as a fan. I seem to only really hear good things from the peloton about Sky. If you can point out the articles where they are burning bridges, I'd love to read them.

As for Contador, I bet he is mates-a-plenty, what with that doping scandal sullying his name
  • disgruntledgoat
    coriordan wrote:

I think you are talking about bridges with you personally as a fan. I seem to only really hear good things from the peloton about Sky. If you can point out the articles where they are burning bridges, I'd love to read them.

As for Contador, I bet he is mates-a-plenty, what with that doping scandal sullying his name

Contador is noted as being a general good egg in the Peloton. Let's look at it from the other side though, Hinault and Armstrong were the undisputed patrons of their day and I don't think either of them ever cared about being nice to their coworkers.

I can't think of anything Sky have done that would alienate them from the rest of the bunch. They even have/had guys like Julich, Portal etc in the backroom who were elder statesmen for a time.

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    Noooooo!!!!! Hockey Girl has Cancelled!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    I feel your pain dude.
  • Richmond Racer
    Sympathies, chap...

Just go and get smashed instead
  • Richmond Racer
    coriordan wrote:

Contador is noted as being a general good egg in the Peloton. Let's look at it from the other side though, Hinault and Armstrong were the undisputed patrons of their day and I don't think either of them ever cared about being nice to their coworkers.

I can't think of anything Sky have done that would alienate them from the rest of the bunch. They even have/had guys like Julich, Portal etc in the backroom who were elder statesmen for a time.

Its just the usual trolling
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Is there any truth to the rumour that when asked about his team yesterday Sir Bradley shook his head and muttered "dogsh!t" ?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:

Jammer. I was just trying to think of some advice for you. :(

Tis heel windig out there so maybe not the best day for a ride, although you could have been a gallant wind break. It could have resulted in a pretty boring ride though if she was just stuck staring at your backside while you slog away into a headwind. You'd have needed to plan your route to have as much crosswind as possible then you can have a conversation.*

Oh well, advice for next time eh? I am optimistic.

*I may have plotted such things in the past myself :oops:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    ddraver wrote:

Alas DD, hope todays stage is good enough to make up for it!

That's a great blog from Cameron, i wonder how he can be arsed to write with so much detail after what must be a knackering day even with orders to take it easy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Daz555 wrote:
    Is there any truth to the rumour that when asked about his team yesterday Sir Bradley shook his head and muttered "dogsh!t" ?

That was a comment on the stage, not the team.
  • Richmond Racer
    Daz555 wrote:

Nope - it was in relation to the stage from what I've read.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:

And you'd shaved your legs especially for the occasion :-(