The Giro'd'italia 2013 thread

123457»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My hunch is that Nibs is going to win this in a pretty straightforward manner. .

Told ya.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    No one likes a smart arse.

Still a few tough stages to come - thursday, friday and saturday. That is if the italians do not fix the weather like they did over the weekend!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    rubertoe wrote:
    No one likes a smart ars*.

Still a few tough stages to come - thursday, friday and saturday. That is if the italians do not fix the weather like they did over the weekend!

There's snow forecast for the mountain stages.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This does make for an exciting precursor to the Tour and Vuelta.

Wiggins will be fresh for the Tour and may think his seniority and relative freshness will give him priority, if it doesn't the real question will be whether he will be prepared to ride for someone else or is he arsehole enough to knife 'Vroom Vroom Froome' in the back and go solo.

If he isn't given the Tour will he be handed the Vuelta?

Also Uran has been impressive, if not this year then I'm not sure Sky will be able to hold him back and play canon fodder for Froome and a diminshing Wiggins.

What happened to Geraint Thomas and Swift, I had big hopes for those two on the road stage.

So much going on at Sky I haven't even looked at the other teams properly...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This does make for an exciting precursor to the Tour and Vuelta.

Wiggins will be fresh for the Tour and may think his seniority and relative freshness will give him priority, if it doesn't the real question will be whether he will be prepared to ride for someone else or is he arsehole enough to knife 'Vroom Vroom Froome' in the back and go solo.

If he isn't given the Tour will he be handed the Vuelta?

Also Uran has been impressive, if not this year then I'm not sure Sky will be able to hold him back and play canon fodder for Froome and a diminshing Wiggins.

What happened to Geraint Thomas and Swift, I had big hopes for those two on the road stage.

So much going on at Sky I haven't even looked at the other teams properly...

Froome will be team leader for the Tour. Where it gets interesting is if Wiggins is in Yellow after the S11 TT.

Not sure why you think Wiggins will be relatively fresh --- as compared to who?

Geraint is likely for the TDF team, probably a donkey for the road stages and lead out for EBH. He was part of the classics team but kept falling over. Swift isn't in the same league yet.

Uran has been good but Henao is believed to be the better GT bet as his time trialling is stronger.

ETA - I would have thought Swift will go to the Tour of Poland
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rubertoe
    Uran is out of Contract this year, he will leave and be a leader. Lotto, OPQS both need GC contenders and he doesnt really need a team.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Where it gets interesting is if Wiggins is in Yellow after the S11 TT.

Wiggins will have to put himself in a position where he is able to contest for the jersey come stage 11. That means staying up front with the other GC riders until then. There will be GC contenders (Schleck - comes to mind) who will want to distance themselves from Wiggins and Froome before then because of their superior TT ability. Does Wiggins ride for Froome to keep them in check or go it alone.
    Not sure why you think Wiggins will be relatively fresh --- as compared to who?

Despite the illness the Giro may turn out to be great warm up ride for him come the Tour, he will certainly be fresher now than had he completed the Giro.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Where it gets interesting is if Wiggins is in Yellow after the S11 TT.

Wiggins will have to put himself in a position where he is able to contest for the jersey come stage 11. That means staying up front with the other GC riders until then. There will be GC contenders (Schleck - comes to mind) who will want to distance themselves from Wiggins and Froome before then because of their superior TT ability. Does Wiggins ride for Froome to keep them in check or go it alone.

There's not a lot of terrain to contend with in the first week.

Inner Ring has a good analysis here

Wiggins should be fresher than if he completely the Giro, but his preparation for the Giro involved surprisingly few race days. Sky maintain that his 'numbers' are better than last year, but I dunno, to me it's like a boxer training on the road and going into a fight have not sparred a round.

Still fancy Contador to take the both of them to school.

Schleck is seriously struggling at the minute to even finish a race. He looked a bit more active in the Tour of California, getting into breaks, but was no where on GC.

I'd be surprised if he has any impact at all in July.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

I'd be surprised if he has any impact at all in July.

Me too, and not pleasantly surprised either.

Contador should be there or thereabouts but not convinced a clean Contador can limit losses in TT and gain time in mountains to topple Froome or Wiggins (if in form). Wiggins is a conundrum this year - we've never really seen what he is capable of given mechanical in Trentino and illness in Giro. The Giro TT and first MTF performances, if done with a worsening chest infection, suggest he might be as strong as last year so it could be interesting at the Tour. Its likely he will take yellow before Froome. defending champion, yellow jersey - you can't not be at least co-leader in those circumstances...
  • rubertoe
    Is Frank back yet?

Andy is a mess, I cant see him doing anything at the tour and if he does he will be on the juice

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Uran has been good but Henao is believed to be the better GT bet as his time trialling is stronger.

I've heard this said several times in the last week or so but the evidence suggests that they are pretty even in this respect (head-to-head Uran actually has the edge).
  • rubertoe
    Uran is pretty inconsistant in the TT. Probably a better climber though.

• tailwindhome
    Paulie W wrote:

I've heard this said several times in the last week or so but the evidence suggests that they are pretty even in this respect (head-to-head Uran actually has the edge).

Henao was about a minute ahead of Uran on the stage 8 TT.

Walsh had tweeted that Wiggins was plan A, Henao B and Uran plan C
  • tailwindhome
    No interest now Wiggins is out?

Could be another stage for Cav today if he gets over the Cat 4 hill...
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It's been a fairly dull Giro.
    exercise.png
  • tailwindhome
    Could be another stage for Cav today if he gets over the Cat 4 hill...

He didn't
  • rubertoe
    Its over now, especially now todays stage has been cancelled.

I dont hold out much hope for tomorrows stage.

Should the Giro move date or use the mountains to the south?

• rubertoe
    Doper tests positive shocker in the giro!!

at least it gives us something else to talk about...

• chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Day off, check.
    Popcorn, check.
    Beer, check.
    Feet up in front of the Giro, oohhhhh.

I hate the weather.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    rubertoe wrote:
    Its over now, especially now todays stage has been cancelled.

I dont hold out much hope for tomorrows stage.

Should the Giro move date or use the mountains to the south?
    So that's why it isn't on :wink:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Awesome ride by Nibali today (Saturday). The ride of a worthy champion.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Everybody lost interest? :?

Well done Cav! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.