The Giro'd'italia 2013 thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Wiggo's proven he's the best TT rider in the world.

No. He hasn't.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

No. He hasn't.

You alright there TWH?

Should be a great race. Wiggins is the best GTer but the route plays against his strengths.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

No. He hasn't.

You alright there TWH?

Should be a great race. Wiggins is the best GTer but the route plays against his strengths.

Its a more balanced route than last year's tour, but still not bad for Wiggins. Team TT, big long individual time trial, even the mountain time trial is more of a diesel gradient. He might not be as at home on the steeper climbs, but then which of his realistic competitors are? Scarponi perhaps? Wiggins dropped Nibali on Plan de Corones and most of the climbs in the 2011 Vuelta, I reckon he'll be a fair match in the Giro and will kill him in the time trials.
  • tailwindhome

No. He hasn't.

You alright there TWH?

You think he's proven he's a better TTer than Tony Martin?

No, no, I'm not alright. I've a job interview in 2.5 hours for a job I really want and my head's not in the game.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    This time next year we'll be in Belfast!
  • rick_chasey

No. He hasn't.

You alright there TWH?

No, no, I'm not alright. I've a job interview in 2.5 hours for a job I really want and my head's not in the game.

More you arguing with yourself.

You know I still rate Chinny as #1 for TTs.

Good luck with the interview. Don't be too keen.
  • tailwindhome

Meh. Everyone else has gone all mumsnet.

Bored of the houses and schools threads. It's like the 'worst dinner party ever' round here.

Can you not do something?

Edit - Just spotted what you meant. :oops:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994

Meh. DDD has gone all mumsnet.

FTFY

GL with the interview.

Cycling news have a live build up, thats a first - my diary for tomorrow is clear (other than the morning ride and post ride fettle) beer is in the fridge and I am getting excited. :|
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Don't discount Hesjedal.
    exercise.png
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    TheStone wrote:
    Don't discount Hesjedal.
    Especially after LBL; if nothing else he should provide some decent entertainment...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    In 2012 he was head and shoulders above the rest of the world in the TT - including Martin. What happens in 2013 remains to be seen.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    No. He hasn't.

Tony Martin won the world TT title, but Wiggo wasn't there, then in the Olympics TT, Martin was (IIRC) around 40 seconds down on Wiggo,

So yeah, in 2012, he proved he was one of the worlds top TT riders, if not the best, Martin on the worlds only just beat (IIRC) Phinny by the nearest of margins, whereas Wiggo destroyed the Olympic field, and only a short while off the back of riding and winning the TDF, whereas Martin dropped out because he wanted to prepare for the Olympics, so had far longer training to prepare and still got his asre handed to him!
  • tailwindhome
    Daz555 wrote:
    In 2012 he was head and shoulders above the rest of the world in the TT - including Martin. What happens in 2013 remains to be seen.

Martin was hit by a car which wiped out the first half of his 2012 season, he then crashed out of the tour with a broken wrist, an injury he was still carrying when he took the Olympic silver. When he recovered from that injury he won the World Championship again.

I don't think we can conclude that Wiggins is head and shoulders above Martin.

That would be silly.
  • rubertoe
    I give you Spartacus...

I know he didnt TT well last year.

sits back and opens popcorn
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• tailwindhome
    No. He hasn't.

Tony Martin won the world TT title, but Wiggo wasn't there, then in the Olympics TT, Martin was (IIRC) around 40 seconds down on Wiggo,

So yeah, in 2012, he proved he was one of the worlds top TT riders, if not the best, Martin on the worlds only just beat (IIRC) Phinny by the nearest of margins, whereas Wiggo destroyed the Olympic field, and only a short while off the back of riding and winning the TDF, whereas Martin dropped out because he wanted to prepare for the Olympics, so had far longer training to prepare and still got his asre handed to him!

Martin broke his wrist during the Tour, no?
  • junglist_matty
    Martin broke his wrist during the Tour, no?

He fractured scaphoid, didn't he crash with a Garmin rider? He still rode a couple more stages after the crash, but then retired.... Still he had a month between quitting the tour and the olympics TT, whereas Wiggo was fighting hard in the tour, which is seriously depleting yet he still smashed the Olympics TT.

Martins win in TT world champs, about 5 seconds,

Wiggos win in the olympics TT, about 40 seconds, Martin silver; pretty conclusive I'd say :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    pretty conclusive I'd say :wink:

Wrong conclusion I'd say :wink:
  • junglist_matty
    Martin was hit by a car which wiped out the first half of his 2012 season, he then crashed out of the tour with a broken wrist, an injury he was still carrying when he took the Olympic silver. When he recovered from that injury he won the World Championship again.

That would be silly.

I think head and shoulders is an exaggeration, it's a shame Wiggo didn't go to the world TT champ, but then why would he, he rode the TDF and Olympics, then had a hard earned rest, whereas Martin continued to train hard knowing he could bag the TT worlds.... It's impossible to say whether Wiggo could have beat Martin's time but going on head to heads Wiggo had the better year overall and came out on top, hence I think it is fair to say he is the current worlds best TT rider regarless that he missed the worlds....

All said, the 2013 battle between them is going to be interesting; it's going to be a very close, and I'm looking forward to it,
  • bigmat

That would be silly.

I think head and shoulders is an exaggeration, it's a shame Wiggo didn't go to the world TT champ, but then why would he, he rode the TDF and Olympics, then had a hard earned rest, whereas Martin continued to train hard knowing he could bag the TT worlds.... It's impossible to say whether Wiggo could have beat Martin's time but going on head to heads Wiggo had the better year overall and came out on top, hence I think it is fair to say he is the current worlds best TT rider regarless that he missed the worlds....

All said, the 2013 battle between them is going to be interesting; it's going to be a very close, and I'm looking forward to it,

Wiggo was very good last year but I still reckon Martin is number 1 (when injury free) and Phinney is coming up on the rails. Wiggins did well to dislodge Cancellara though - got the better of him several times last year with no excuses for Cancellara.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think Wiggins may start to hold back to save himself for the Tour, especially when he realises how tough the competition will be. If he wins this'll cement Wiggins as a great rider.

I think he's already 'cemented' himself as a great rider, no?

Anything from now on is a cherry on top.

He wants to try for pink and yellow this year. H'e snO 1 for the Giro, we'll see how things pan out between him & Froome on the Tour.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I know this has been said already but what do we mean by great? I can see a strong case for Wiggins being one of the best pursuiters in history and one of the best track (endurance) cyclists in general. It is clear (to me at least) that Wiggins, fantastic as his 2012 achievements were, is some distance away from being one of the best road cyclists in history. Would he make anyone's top 50? Top 100? I think greatness has to be reserved for the very cream of the crop, so while Wiggo is a great track rider, he is not for my money (yet anyway) a great road racer or great cyclist overall.
  • Wiggins is not "head an shoulders" above Martin. According to Wikipedia it's only 2 inches.
  • rubertoe
    JonGinge wrote:

Now take out all of the Dopers...

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Really looking forward to seeing Cav in full flight with a team geared up to support him. I appreciate that a bunch sprint isn't to everyone's taste, but I love them.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    oooooo I'm really getting into t' giro :mrgreen: i think the fans seem much less french & in the way, but i've only been watching road racing since last tdf so i know nothing :lol: seems better for some reason though :?
  • rick_chasey
    bushu wrote:
    oooooo I'm really getting into t' giro :mrgreen: i think the fans seem much less french & in the way, but i've only been watching road racing since last tdf so i know nothing :lol: seems better for some reason though :?

Broadly speaking, the tour has tourists beside the road, the Giro has cycling fans.

Often the racings feels like it's only a part of the broader spectacle with the Tour. It's all there is for the Giro (save for the odd Cav interview).
  • tailwindhome
    Often the racings feels like it's only a part of the broader spectacle with the Tour. It's all there is for the Giro (save for the odd Cav interview).

I read somewhere recently that 25% of the 'fans' at the roadside for the TDF are there to see the publicity caravan.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Everyone got up in arms about Sir Wiggins - who was recently humbled into submission over the TDF leadership. No one questioned my statement that Contador is the greatest GC rider of his generation, interesting....

ANYWAY, Wiggins is second and Nibali is some 31 seconds down. Without time bonuses - like in the Tour - I'd say this was wrapped up. Nibali is the better climber, Wiggins is the better TTer, but has great climbing prowess. I'm interesting to see what 'explosive' looks like when wielded by Wiggins.

I'm loving the personal rivalry that has emerged from these two that started at last years tour, carried over into the Olympic TT and has continued onto d'Giro 2013. Adds some spice to the competition.

Two horse race already? Maybe. Winner? I'm always weary about Nibali as he appears to be a geniune threat (the only threat in races sans Contador and Schleck) to Wiggins. He isn't my favourite rider I'm a Chris 'Vroom Vroom' Froome man, but I'd love to see Wiggins win this, not least of which because a Grand Tour podium always seems like uncharted territory for him.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Everyone got up in arms about Sir Wiggins - who was recently humbled into submission over the TDF leadership. No one questioned my statement that Contador is the greatest GC rider of his generation, interesting....

ANYWAY, Wiggins is second and Nibali is some 31 seconds down. Without time bonuses - like in the Tour - I'd say this was wrapped up. Nibali is the better climber, Wiggins is the better TTer, but has great climbing prowess. I'm interesting to see what 'explosive' looks like when wielded by Wiggins.

I'm loving the personal rivalry that has emerged from these two that started at last years tour, carried over into the Olympic TT and has continued onto d'Giro 2013. Adds some spice to the competition.

Two horse race already? Maybe. Winner? I'm always weary about Nibali as he appears to be a geniune threat (the only threat in races sans Contador and Schleck) to Wiggins. He isn't my favourite rider I'm a Chris 'Vroom Vroom' Froome man, but I'd love to see Wiggins win this, not least of which because a Grand Tour podium always seems like uncharted territory for him.

What?!

I don't know where to start...