The Giro'd'italia 2013 thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    BigMat wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Everyone got up in arms about Sir Wiggins - who was recently humbled into submission over the TDF leadership. No one questioned my statement that Contador is the greatest GC rider of his generation, interesting....

ANYWAY, Wiggins is second and Nibali is some 31 seconds down. Without time bonuses - like in the Tour - I'd say this was wrapped up. Nibali is the better climber, Wiggins is the better TTer, but has great climbing prowess. I'm interesting to see what 'explosive' looks like when wielded by Wiggins.

I'm loving the personal rivalry that has emerged from these two that started at last years tour, carried over into the Olympic TT and has continued onto d'Giro 2013. Adds some spice to the competition.

Two horse race already? Maybe. Winner? I'm always weary about Nibali as he appears to be a geniune threat (the only threat in races sans Contador and Schleck) to Wiggins. He isn't my favourite rider I'm a Chris 'Vroom Vroom' Froome man, but I'd love to see Wiggins win this, not least of which because a Grand Tour podium always seems like uncharted territory for him.

What?!

I don't know where to start...

Ignore the juicy bait and keep swimming.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Anyone know whether there's a daily highlights programme available anywhere, without Sky/Eurosport subscription? I can't watch a live stream at work, but would love to be able to catch up in the evening...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tailwindhome
    TGOTB wrote:
    Anyone know whether there's a daily highlights programme available anywhere, without Sky/Eurosport subscription? I can't watch a live stream at work, but would love to be able to catch up in the evening...

I'm not aware of any TV coverage, ITV4 don't have the contract.

If you keep an eye on the spoiler threads in Pro Race someone usually posts up a You Tube link or check Steephill.TV
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    After S4

1 Paolini
    2 Uran +17"
    3 Intxausti +26"
    4 Nibali +31"
    5 Hesjedal +34"
    6 Wiggins +34"
    7 Caruso +36"
    8 Henao +37"
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    BigMat wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Everyone got up in arms about Sir Wiggins - who was recently humbled into submission over the TDF leadership. No one questioned my statement that Contador is the greatest GC rider of his generation, interesting....

ANYWAY, Wiggins is second and Nibali is some 31 seconds down. Without time bonuses - like in the Tour - I'd say this was wrapped up. Nibali is the better climber, Wiggins is the better TTer, but has great climbing prowess. I'm interesting to see what 'explosive' looks like when wielded by Wiggins.

I'm loving the personal rivalry that has emerged from these two that started at last years tour, carried over into the Olympic TT and has continued onto d'Giro 2013. Adds some spice to the competition.

Two horse race already? Maybe. Winner? I'm always weary about Nibali as he appears to be a geniune threat (the only threat in races sans Contador and Schleck) to Wiggins. He isn't my favourite rider I'm a Chris 'Vroom Vroom' Froome man, but I'd love to see Wiggins win this, not least of which because a Grand Tour podium always seems like uncharted territory for him.

What?!

Stop calling it bait.

It has been well documented that I am a Contador fan. I do consider Contador the greatest rider of his generation (greatest GC rider - if you're asking my to clarify the statement). Without getting into the whole doping issue, Contador has been found guilty of having a banned substance in his system BUT it was not enough to improve his performance. I cannot go on any other assumption other than he is clean until proven otherwise.

Every Tour Contador has set his heart on he has won (voided wins notwithstanding) and this translates into a Grand Tour win every year since 2007 and not just the same Grand Tour but different ones in different Countries against different kinds of opponents, wins where he has had support from his team and wins where he has had to battle against his everyone even his team. The guy is also prepared to go 'Rambo' in a way very rarely seen - note the Vuelta last year, where he attacked from the very beginning/before the cameras even went live on TV. He is awesome and I am a massive fan.

As for the Giro, Nibali is a good rider but had this been the Tour I don't think he'd put 31sec and change into Wiggins. Honestly, the Tour 2012 was sewn up before the start of week 2 - I remember my complaints.

As good a climber as Nibali is, I don't think he can blow Wiggins away in the mountains (i) Wiggins is a stronger climber than he is given credit for and (ii) he has a strong team around him. Wiggins isn't as strong a climber as Nibali but he is strong enough to defend a lead 30 secs or above. What Wiggins hasn't demostrated is an ability to explode up a mountain in the way Froome hinted at last, in the same way Contador, Schleck and Nibali can and have demostrated - I would be excited to see this from him, assuming he has trained to do so.

I like the rivalry between Nibali and Wiggins that has seemingly emerged in the absence of Schleck and Contador.

Any issues discuss them or ignore but don't dismiss what I've written as bait.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Wiggins held behind crash, 17 secs down.

The Italians have decided not to use the 3km rule today though....
  • tgotb
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It has been well documented that I am a Contador fan. I do consider Contador the greatest rider of his generation (greatest GC rider - if you're asking my to clarify the statement). Without getting into the whole doping issue, Contador has been found guilty of having a banned substance in his system BUT it was not enough to improve his performance. I cannot go on any other assumption other than he is clean until proven otherwise.
    From the man who started a whole new thread to proclaim his belief in Armstrong's innocence, just as the man himself was pulling out his phone to call Oprah...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Tricky one. 3km rules don't tend to apply on 'uphill' finishes. However, the riders who fell causing the delay to those behind did have their times adjusted. It's all a bit inconsistent.

A similar thing happened to Contador in the first week of the 2011 TdF. There was a crash with about 8km to go and the group delayed were just back on when another crash happened within 3km. Those in the second crash had their times adjusted whereas those delayed by it didn't. Contador and a few others lost a minute that day where Schleck and Wiggins got away with it.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    TGOTB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    From the man who started a whole new thread to proclaim his belief in Armstrong's innocence, just as the man himself was pulling out his phone to call Oprah...
    There are still those who would freely argue that Lance was still the greatest Tour de France rider because they were all on drugs.

In any case I'm not going to dismiss Contador just yet, and if he is proven to be a complete cheat then I would pay more attention to Froome as I like him too and think him the better rider of the Froome/Wiggins divide.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    JonGinge wrote:

Tricky one. 3km rules don't tend to apply on 'uphill' finishes. However, the riders who fell causing the delay to those behind did have their times adjusted. It's all a bit inconsistent.

A similar thing happened to Contador in the first week of the 2011 TdF. There was a crash with about 8km to go and the group delayed were just back on when another crash happened within 3km. Those in the second crash had their times adjusted whereas those delayed by it didn't. Contador and a few others lost a minute that day where Schleck and Wiggins got away with it.

Evidently those caused the crash got the same time. Rai reports some split before the crash or something.. I'll look forward to Imlach and Boardman clearing it up in the highlights show this evening, oh wait...

Tragic.
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

What?!

Stop calling it bait.

Every Tour Contador has set his heart on he has won (voided wins notwithstanding) and this translates into a Grand Tour win every year since 2007 and not just the same Grand Tour but different ones in different Countries against different kinds of opponents, wins where he has had support from his team and wins where he has had to battle against his everyone even his team. The guy is also prepared to go 'Rambo' in a way very rarely seen - note the Vuelta last year, where he attacked from the very beginning/before the cameras even went live on TV. He is awesome and I am a massive fan.

As for the Giro, Nibali is a good rider but had this been the Tour I don't think he'd put 31sec and change into Wiggins. Honestly, the Tour 2012 was sewn up before the start of week 2 - I remember my complaints.

As good a climber as Nibali is, I don't think he can blow Wiggins away in the mountains (i) Wiggins is a stronger climber than he is given credit for and (ii) he has a strong team around him. Wiggins isn't as strong a climber as Nibali but he is strong enough to defend a lead 30 secs or above. What Wiggins hasn't demostrated is an ability to explode up a mountain in the way Froome hinted at last, in the same way Contador, Schleck and Nibali can and have demostrated - I would be excited to see this from him, assuming he has trained to do so.

I like the rivalry between Nibali and Wiggins that has seemingly emerged in the absence of Schleck and Contador.

Any issues discuss them or ignore but don't dismiss what I've written as bait.

I think you just took your own bait there DDD.....
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    If i dont get the chance to watch due to being at work, why put the blooming highlights on so late :x
    "dun't tha kno, tis school int' mornin.." :(

EDIT - Sometimes glad i dont cancel the cable tv, just never use it enough to justify buying into the tivo bit :|
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bushu wrote:
    If i dont get the chance to watch due to being at work, why put the blooming highlights on so late :x
    "dun't tha kno, tis school int' mornin.." :(

EDIT - Sometimes glad i dont cancel the cable tv, just never use it enough to justify buying into the tivo bit :|
    Too true. :evil:
    I fell asleep with 10 minutes to go and had no idea what happened till I woke up.
    And I am on my way to work when they are repeated in the morning.
    Tired today as a result of the late night and doubt I'll even make the start of the programme tonight.
    Grrrrrrrrrr..............
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wiggins Looses time to italian shocker!

Apperently there was a spilt before the crash, Rob Hayles reckons that wiggo doesnt have it as concentration (or lack of) go hand in hand with form!

Its the 1st week of a GT, it was p*ssing with rain, these things happen Rob.

Still fancy Wiggins to win it, but at least were all square again now (Nibali, Ryder and Wiggo).
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tailwindhome
    rubertoe wrote:
    Wiggins Looses time to italian shocker!

Apperently there was a spilt before the crash, Rob Hayles reckons that wiggo doesnt have it as concentration (or lack of) go hand in hand with form!

Its the 1st week of a GT, it was p*ssing with rain, these things happen Rob.

Still fancy Wiggins to win it, but at least were all square again now (Nibali, Ryder and Wiggo).

Silly mistake from Wiggins. Long way top go yet though.

Loving how Cadel scraps for every second. A real racer.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Agreed. That persistent scrapping won him a Tour.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rubertoe
    Ben6899 wrote:

Agreed. That persistent scrapping won him a Tour.

and the fact that schleck cant TT.

he will struggle in the High mountains so needs every second that he can get.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    TGOTB wrote:

Or just subscribe to the Eurosport Player service - £5 per month during the GTs or £3 per month for an annual contract is a lot easier to swallow than giving Murdock half my salary. Live/highlights all on the PC or phone.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    vermin wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Or just subscribe to the Eurosport Player service - £5 per month during the GTs or £3 per month for an annual contract is a lot easier to swallow than giving Murdock half my salary. Live/highlights all on the PC or phone.

I was going to do that but all the reviews on iTunes said it played nothing but snooker and didn't follow what was in the TV guide. Does it do what it says on the tin or is it a sham?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    vermin wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Genius. Quick Google suggests I may be able to run it on my DVD player too :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tailwindhome
    TGOTB wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Genius. Quick Google suggests I may be able to run it on my DVD player too :-)

Double check you can run in on your device
  • vermin
    Asprilla wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

I was going to do that but all the reviews on iTunes said it played nothing but snooker and didn't follow what was in the TV guide. Does it do what it says on the tin or is it a sham?

I have no complaints at all. The software isn't the best/most reliable, in that some android phones object to it and the PC version users Silverlight which can be a bit temperamental, but once you have Silverlight set up well on the PC and if your phone plays nicely with the app, then all's fine. You can watch the stream in any web-browser and can register up to 2 Androids on the same account at any time (I don't know the deal with iOS devices, but assume it's the same).

The schedule follows the British Eurosport and Eurosport 2 programming, plus there are additional streams when there is lots going on (I seem to recall there suddenly being a dozen or so streams available during Wimbledon last year). Currently the Giro is shown live every day, with highlights in the evening and again immediately before each live stage.

If you wish to watch men playing with their cues and balls, feel free.
  • asprilla
    Well I've just signed up and the schedule on my IP4 says BE should be showing the Giro but instead I've for World Super Bikes. The schedule on the desktop player says BE is showing Tennis but it's just adverts at the moment.

Edit iP4 is now showing Tennis despite saying it should be a Giro Preview.

Edit2: It appears the schedule info on iOS is garbage and I should consult the website to see what's actually on.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • vermin
    Asprilla wrote:
    Well I've just signed up and the schedule on my IP4 says BE should be showing the Giro but instead I've for World Super Bikes. The schedule on the desktop player says BE is showing Tennis but it's just adverts at the moment.

Edit2: It appears the schedule info on iOS is garbage and I should consult the website to see what's actually on.

Where do I start ? Should've bought ... :wink:

Giro highlights starts at 12.30; live stream at 1.30.

Wonder if they'll pay me commission ...
  • daviesee
    Asprilla wrote:
    It works fine as long as you can cope with their very unreliable scheduling.
    I can't watch during the day and the highlights are currently 23:00-24:00, not 22:30-23:30 which would have been bad enough. PITA.
  • asprilla
    vermin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Ah! Times are in CET or GMT, something that is not BST. Anyway, they are an hour out, but there are still some scheduling differences. The iOS schedule makes no mention of the programme about Cav they are showing now.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • vermin
    daviesee wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    It works fine as long as you can cope with their very unreliable scheduling.
    I can't watch during the day and the highlights are currently 23:00-24:00, not 22:30-23:30 which would have been bad enough. PITA.

Agree, although that's a complaint with Eurosport, rather than the web-player. I think Asprilla was asking whether the web-player is out of sync with the schedules, which it isn't in my experience of having used it for a year or so (caveat: the nature of live sports events can push the schedules out a bit if events last longer than scheduled).

It is possible to set up a screen-grab programme on a PC to record the stream whilst you sleep, but that's a proper faff. The PC player also has a selection of recorded events, which includes previous stages, that you can watch on demand.
  • vermin
    Asprilla wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Ah! Times are in CET or GMT, something that is not BST. Anyway, they are an hour out, but there are still some scheduling differences. The iOS schedule makes no mention of the programme about Cav they are showing now.

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/ - 12.15pm Mark Cavendish: Fastest Man on Two Wheels (15min)

Can't you just download an accurate TV Guide app?
  • daviesee
    vermin wrote:
    Agree, although that's a complaint with Eurosport, rather than the web-player.
    Agreed.
    Nice to see that a pre-recorded show about behind the scenes in Rally Car Racing was given a better time slot last night. :evil:
  • rubertoe
    Eurosport player has on Demand videos as well,

Not sure how quick the uploead the stages though - might be worth a look.

Or you can re-wind upto 3 hours! maybe catch the last hour or so.