The Giro'd'italia 2013 thread

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Where did Nibbles finish today? Did he gain or lose time on Wiggins?

/twohorserace'd
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sounds like all the contenders were in the bunch, meaning Nibali is a couple of seconds ahead of Wiggins and Hesjedal on GC.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    /twohorserace'd
    Que?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    DonDaddyD wrote:

/twohorserace'd

Sprint stage. Crash. Wet zebra crossing blamed.

All big favourites caught behind crash but given same time.....no GC movement.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    TGOTB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    /twohorserace'd
    Que?
    I reckon its already race between Nibbles and Wiggins (which is no bad thing, I like their supposed rivalry) already to be honest. The only difference between this and last year's Tour is that other riders are prepaed to attack Wiggins...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    1 Paolini
    2 Uran +0-17
    3 Intxausti +0-26,
    4 Nibali +0-31
    5 Hesjedal +0-34
    6 Wiggins +0-34
    7 Caruso +0-36
    8 Henao +0-37
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    /twohorserace'd
    Que?
    I reckon its already race between Nibbles and Wiggins (which is no bad thing, I like their supposed rivalry) already to be honest. The only difference between this and last year's Tour is that other riders are prepaed to attack Wiggins...

I wouldn't rule out either Evans or Hesjedal completely. But the consensus is that it's as DDD says.

Bet Fair have

Wiggins 2.18
    Nibs 2.75
    Hesjedal 8.22
    Evans 14.8

The rest at 40 or more
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its too early to say - not a lot has changed from before the race started, other than Scarponi has lost some time (was potentially dangerous). I suppose we now know that Hes and Evans have good form, albeit on finishes that suit them better than Wiggins. WIggins seems a bit peaky - maybe aiming to hit top form just before the TT, or maybe not feeling 100%. Nicely poised for the TT / mountains that follow.
  • DonDaddyD
    Sure, some riders will have a pop as they rationalise that there is more chance winning this than, say, the Tour. But ultimately its Nibbles vs Wiggins, unless they completely over strategialise this race and end up placing themselves out of contention like in the Olympics and some random ends up winning it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But ultimately its Nibbles vs Wiggins, unless they completely over strategialise this race and end up placing themselves out of contention like in the Olympics and some random ends up winning it.

Yeah

Over strategialising can be a problem.

Randomers tend not to win GTs.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But ultimately its Nibbles vs Wiggins, unless they completely over strategialise this race and end up placing themselves out of contention like in the Olympics and some random ends up winning it.

Yeah

GT overalls are particularly predictable.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Today is a dull day,

I normally shut out the world from mid dayish during a Grand Tour and watch it when I get home. dont think i'll bother today.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah

By random I mean best of the rest.
    Food Chain number = 4

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah

Was Ryder Hesjedal winning last year highly predictable at the start? Or was he a randomer?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah

Was Ryder Hesjedal winning last year highly predictable at the start? Or was he a randomer?

He had half a page dedicated to him as a overall favourite in procycling.
  • daviesee
    Procycling obviously know what they are talking about. :wink:
    The "Comic" went with Basso. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... l-win.html
  • tailwindhome
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah

Well no-one had picked him for PTP. Also only myself and one other picked J Rod (the perceived wisdom being that he always had one nightmare day in a GT).

The fact still remains that there are few surprise winners of GTs.
  • rubertoe

JJ Cobo.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• rick_chasey
    rubertoe wrote:

JJ Cobo.

Are we going to name every one of the 'few'??
  • rubertoe
    As predictable as a winner of a GT - no surprises at today's winner.

Tomorrows stage will be an epic

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_07.jpg

Its like a classic with cappi instead of bergs :lol:

• cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    rubertoe wrote:
    Tomorrows stage will be an epic

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_07.jpg

Its like a classic with cappi instead of bergs :lol:

Yes, must sort out a months subscription to EuroSport @ £5; starting to get interesting :). Do EuroSport make the highlights available on-demand with their on-line service?

I wonder how much time Sir Brad is going to take out of the rest of the GC contenders on Saturday?
    Boardman CX Team
  • rubertoe
    cookdn wrote:
    Yes, must sort out a months subscription to EuroSport @ £5; starting to get interesting :). Do EuroSport make the highlights available on-demand with their on-line service?I wonder how much time Sir Brad is going to take out of the rest of the GC contenders on Saturday?

I had a look last night (annual sub), they dont appear to offer giro highlights on demand, your grand if you want to watch the Dakhar rally though.

• cookdn
    rubertoe wrote:
    cookdn wrote:
    Do EuroSport make the highlights available on-demand with their on-line service?

I had a look last night (annual sub), they dont appear to offer giro highlights on demand, your grand if you want to watch the Dakhar rally though.

Hmm, that's a bit rubbish. Still might do it as I see they are doing highlights at 2000 and 2300. Not the best times but better than nothing and I should be around on Saturday afternoon to catch the TT.

It seems rather backward to sell a TV service specifically for viewing on a computer but to then force people to access it at certain times of the day to watch the stuff they want. All a bit 'Life on Mars' :? .

Thanks
    Boardman CX Team
  • rubertoe
    You can "rewind the live feed" for 3 hours.

I get home at about 5:15 each night - quick shower and then settle to watch it from 2:30 - so still get to see the sharp end of the race.

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    rubertoe wrote:
    I get home at about 5:15 each night

:shock:
  • rubertoe
    vermin wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    I get home at about 5:15 each night

:shock:

Early starter (7:30) and only have to do a 36 hour week!

• cookdn
    rubertoe wrote:

I get home at about 5:15 each night - quick shower and then settle to watch it from 2:30 - so still get to see the sharp end of the race.

Thanks. Unfortunately if I'm on the bike I don't get in until at least 1900 so I'll have to manage with the highlights. At least being able to rewind gives a bit of wiggle room and I won't have to start watching bang-on the the scheduled time.

Thank goodness that the TdF and Vuelta are on ITV4 and can be watched like 'normal'. :lol:
    Boardman CX Team
  • daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    Thanks for that, probably the most important thing I have learned this week! :P

Just enjoyed the end of yesterdays race and while it was nice to see Brad leading them out, I have to ask - Why?
  • rubertoe
    daviesee wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Thanks for that, probably the most important thing I have learned this week! :P

Just enjoyed the end of yesterdays race and while it was nice to see Brad leading them out, I have to ask - Why?

Stay out of trouble after his mechanical and to give the OPQS guys a break from pulling as they slowed the peloton so he could get back on.

• daviesee
    rubertoe wrote:
    Stay out of trouble after his mechanical and to give the OPQS guys a break from pulling as they slowed the peloton so he could get back on.
    See, that's the problem with just watching the end - You miss all the nuances.
    Thanks again. :P
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    rubertoe wrote:

How does the rewinding work?

I'll get home just as they're finishing today. Would love to be able to watch last 90 mins without having to see any live action first.
    exercise.png